Game-Labs Forum

Yet another map: Naval Action map

Felix Victor

Thanks to Felix

1 hour ago, Felix Victor said:
  • Improved: compass with 24 teeth (matches in-game compass) as suggested by  @Macjimm
  • Improved: journey duration not being rounded to hours as often as suggested by  @Macjimm
  •  

I see only the 16 point compass.  

Journey time intervals and totals is rounding more precisely.  Looking forward to testing accuracy.

Felix,

I found a 24 point compass on the TestNA map.  In my opinion the compass, that you have used, would be much better if the cardinal points were smaller, finer.

The ingame compass looks very simple, but functionally it is hard to improve on it. 

It is easy to; read, and obtain a precise bearing.

image.png.693c7d530272ecdbd03776eaeace074a.png

When I first started sailing with the 24 point compass I thought it was a little strange.  But I have become accustomed to its use now.  I have grown to like it.  It may be old fashioned but it works well now that I understand and remember the points.  Each point is 15 degrees.  Descriptions between points are simple.

Vitruvius or Vitruvi or Vitruvio  This compass could have been invented by Marcus Vitruvius Pollio (born c. 80–70 BC, died after c. 15 BC),  He was a Roman author, architect, civil engineer and military engineer during the 1st century BC.   His 24 point rose was not widely adopted (as evidenced by the widespread use of the traditional compass) but it is handily drawn with the convenient 15 degree divisions.  Later in the 16th century Vitruvius's 24 points (and names) were expressed again.  

The Chinese also used a 24 point compass for astronomy and astrology, although it has absolutely nothing to do with the age of sail in the Caribbean. 

Edited by Macjimm
Added NA compass

Felix,

Compass with https://na-map.netlify.com/ 

• Tried reload F5
  • Internet Explorer - No Map
  • Chrome - map works with 16 pt compass
  • Mozilla Firefox - map works with New 24 pt compass
  • Problem could be clientside.  Thanks for for your efforts and suggestion.

Delete Last Leg

• The delete last leg is a useful feature;  Combined with dragging the compass it is easy to determine a bearing when arriving at a way-point.

Clearing map without clearing Journey

• Currently when I want to clear a selection (Single port, Ports, Goods, Ships, Woods) I use the Clear button in the upper right.  This also clears the Journey, including the ship type.  Is it, or would it be, possible to add a nothing selection in each search, so that the Journey is not cleared also. 
  • Example:  I have selected Teak as a good, I am not able to un-select teak without deleting the journey. 
Edited by Macjimm

Hi,

mb add to Game Tools -> something like "Escapomatrix" , but calculable-on-demand based on current API data ?

I have some fun and made a draft version for 5th rates based on your colours, table are auto-generated from ships.json, not the same functionality as from the link - now it's only better angles

what do you say about it?

Capture.thumb.PNG.af3984a7da281db0f0af60eccab18b34.PNG

Edited by Vet
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 7:30 PM, Macjimm said:

Currently when I want to clear a selection (Single port, Ports, Goods, Ships, Woods) I use the Clear button in the upper right.  This also clears the Journey

Beta version updated.

'Clear' clears map but keeps journey. To delete a journey use 'delete last leg'.

Felix the new compass looks great.  Very functional, by dragging it over a waypoint a new direction can be measured.

The only suggestion I could offer is a darker small dot in the center, for orientation when positioning.

Great work.  Thanks for the ability to clear without removing the journey details , I use it often. 

The timings are okay unless I am very loaded with cargo and my speed has been reduced