Game-Labs Forum

Alternative funding streams

Alternative Funding  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support alternative funding models?

• Optional Subscription (no pay 2 win)
    • Patreon
    • Other (leave comment with suggestion)
    • No, only support through purchase or asking others to purchase base game.
    • Premium Ships
    • Ship Skins and cosmetics

Honestly, I have a HUGE problem with it ever becoming a subscription based game. I have already purchased this product. You can't just make me unable to use it again because you changed monetization. This would be against the law. Second of all, a lot of people including myself. Do not have lots of money to give out. And simply do not wish to pay for a subscription. Please be sensible and look what happened to other MMO games which used this model. The only successful one is World of Warcraft.

• Like 1

no subscription based system. that will ruin this game just as it ruined elder scrolls online. the game will get heavilly critisized for its current value wich it hasnt got yet and the steam rating will be most negative. next thing you know your playerbase is gone and all that remains are the few hardcore players who have no one to fight against. market prices will increase by an outrageous amount becouse there is no one selling of buying anything.

the majority of us hasnt got that money to spend on one game and many of us hate subscription.

im sorry to say it but i thing those who voted for subscribtion might not know what theyre asking for.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

give me skins and premium ships :D

Want buy the all.

But if they get TOO expensive (I'm looking at you Crowfall (800$ bugs for a castel) or Star Citizen) I'm out.

I'm a collector. Want to have all. But if i see thats impossible my motivation to buy anything is lost.

World of tanks pricing was ok. Or Warframe.

I would be very deeply concerned if paid content affected PVP gameplay. Starting from a point of equality, it would be a massive shame to feel forced to buy a premium ship in order to rank among other admirals. On the other hand, being able to customize the appearance of particular ships, such as paying for black sails, a golden edge trim, or similar cosmetics to better fund the game I would think it is a good trade-off, so long as these are RP.

There was another pirate game "Voyage Century" which I used to play until they decided to bring in "joke" appearance customization options in the cash-market, such as silly hats and so forth, which caused me to immediately abandon the game.

a subscription ?

What will it give you ?

more gold ?

more xp ?

more resources ? (warframe)

More loot ?

A free sheep every week ?

All of them ?

premium ships :

SOL should be premium too.

If premium is only purple and never golden no problem. (if they are only blue or below they start becoming useless and not premium ^^)

If you can redeem them only once a week : no problem. (smaller ships more often)

AND NO TO FUNNY HATS

Edited by Tremor

Yep, I'm all for paid cosmetics upgrades like the ability to paint our ships with historically inspired hull paints, the ability to set specific flags and pennants instead of random ones, signal flags, the ability to name your ship instead of having the default ship name on it, elite ship skins as an infinitely redeemable upgrade slot to be placed on standard ships, etc. just no crazy sail or flag patterns like PotBS, please!  If you do allow people to make their ships look really crazy/goofy, then give us the option to filter out anything non-historical in our settings.

• Like 1

How about selling off some real estate? I'd like to buy a little plantation near Isle de Vache that I'd pay money for. Esp if it allowed me:

1. A protected mooring - a fort on a little hill on the coast

2. The resources that the plantation produced

or something like that

Having a highly customized ship to play with is a huge deal for me, and I'd be willing to put money into that if its implemented in a way where the durability system doesn't take it away from me if I get into too many fights where my opponent has a chance to win.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really tired of games that I've purchased being parceled and sold back to me again. Premium ships are a terrible idea. Even premium cosmetics are offensive. I bought this game. I feel like I am entitled to whatever content is included in it.

Now, if, after the full release, they want to do expansions or DLC packs or whatever, that's fine. But this isn't Path of Exile. I paid for this game. And it wasn't cheap.

On the subject of premium ships specifically, they set a bad precedent. They're going to be better than other ships of the same class. If they weren't, no one would buy them. And if that happened, then player-versus-player would stratify into two groups: people who have to real life money to blow on losing premium ships and people who don't. The competitive playing field would be contaminated by the influx of power acquired through real-world money. The internal consistency of the game would be compromised.

• Like 1

The game is purchased for $40 dollars. There was no warning sign at the store that you may have to pay more for the game content later or become a subscriber. There was no mention of an in-game shop nor any type of pay wall system. If you want to continue paying for the game then donate the money through paypal. I mean if intentions are honest why do you need anything in return?

Once that money printing option is turned on the greed it brings into the dev team leads to free updates and features going extinct and content for sale being the only goal.

If a $40 dollar price tag wasn't going to sustain the company then they should have considered that before selling people the game.

And quite frankly at this point $40 dollars is more than fair for what's being offered. Let's see some content and patches before we start asking to be gouged for more money.

In Naval Action we have an additional deep set player desire you could tap into: Fear of loss. There is a tiny fraction of players here who love the fear of loss, for them it adds excitement. The rest of us get little out of it and dislike the idea of losing grinding time.

Premium ships you cannot lose would be wonderful! If we could get stuff we're not afraid to lose the amount of players actively looking for fights in the OW and events would increase, maybe even sharply. That would be glorious!

It's easy to avoid pay-to-win. The war is won with SOLs, so just don't sell prem big ones. You can even cap premium ships at 12lbs frigates if you're really worried.

Premium ships would be pay for comfort, convenience and FUN!

They would sell like crazy, too.

Yeah, hunting ships immune to loss while destroying others not immune to loss sounds great. At least if you wanted to kill the game off. 

To the devs, beware of players bringing gifts (even symbolic). No one wants to pay you more for the game. What they do want to do is build a supportive reputation on the forums so that you might cater to their ideas much easier later on. Don't fall for the manipulative relationship.

If you need support setup a paypal and ask for donations. Take note of who actually does donate.

Introducing haves & have-nots into the game after you started off charging people $40 dollars will see your Steam reputation decimated and your future (because Steam is the PC gaming future) for this game and any others you develop as a company failures at launch.

Edited by Sea Nettle

please no micro transactions don't do it !!! it's bs make it monthly subscribsion. I hate every mmo with in game purchases 

from what i have heard(this is no official statement or anything), the game wont have monthly subscription and the devs plan to add premium ships if anything to help fund the game, i dont remember where the dev said it but it is somewhere here on the forums in a similar topic i think

I like the cosmetics and optional subscription models, but not a fan of premium ships, unless they are purely cosmetic (different looking models, like "customized" current models but with same abilities, so if you purchase a "premium ship skin of ship x" you could always put it on your vanilla ship model and it remains available if you lose the ship). So that premium ships are just large customized models.

Else, if premium ships are better ships, then it's just like pay to win,

I like the cosmetics and optional subscription models, but not a fan of premium ships, unless they are purely cosmetic (different looking models, like "customized" current models but with same abilities, so if you purchase a "premium ship skin of ship x" you could always put it on your vanilla ship model and it remains available if you lose the ship). So that premium ships are just large customized models.

Else, if premium ships are better ships, then it's just like pay to win,

premium ships are going to be worse than their equivalent "free" ship, think yacht vs cutter, yacht is technically if i remember correctly a worse ship(although a lot prettier), also premium ships wont come as larger than 4th rates if i remember correctly.

I would love to see additional ships, or even just additional ship skins / repaints.

One idea: for a small fee, you can give your ship its own name which could show up in the OW and in battle instances in the player name & ship area, i.e.

First Lieutenant Surfimp

Privateer Izabella

This name would stay with the ship through all its durabilities and could be changed, again for a small fee.

Ideally it would also show up on the transom unless that was too difficult... :)

Edited by surfimp

premium ships are going to be worse than their equivalent "free" ship, think yacht vs cutter, yacht is technically if i remember correctly a worse ship(although a lot prettier), also premium ships wont come as larger than 4th rates if i remember correctly.

Hence the "prettier" ship skin. Some people just want to "look" different. That's the whole point of cosmetic changes. :)

I would buy all premium ships. And i would pay to reskin my favorite ships.

But hey all. There is one more way to support the game and it developers. Already now.

I bought their second game. The Gettysburg game. It is good but i bought it mainly as a way to support the game-labs.

I would buy all premium ships. And i would pay to reskin my favorite ships.

But hey all. There is one more way to support the game and it developers. Already now.

I bought their second game. The Gettysburg game. It is good but i bought it mainly as a way to support the game-labs.

I agree, i would buy all the premium ships :P