Game-Labs Forum

Political Situation (PvP 1 EU)

BramtheDutch

As one of the French attacked outside of Nouvelle-Orleans let me give my version of events.

/RP ON

Recently locating my family, including my husband's mother to Nouvelle-Orleans was a traumatic experience when our small barely serviceable craft was beset upon 

by armed ruffians, unshaved, unbathed, gypsy clothed wearing "sailors" of low breeding and uneducated rabble calling themselves 'Americans'. We were surrounded within a day by 8 ships of various sizes, forced to stop, where we were promptly boarded!! Being a small vessel with no trained marines, or any weapons to speak of the sailors of the Americans rummaged the ship for valuables, including most of my jewelry, that of my Mother-in-laws, and a small chest that the capitaine had in his cabin. The whole experience was terrorfying!! My children cry continuously over the experience. My Mother-in-law passed away "paix a son ame" from exhaustion over the whole event. The "New World" is more like a New Nightmare.

\RP OFF

As one of the French attacked outside of Nouvelle-Orleans it was actually all in good fun. it was 8x various Snows/Merc/Cerbs vs my basic cutter. Not having full grasp of the in-game battle chat yet, I wasnt able to fully communicate w/USN, TF,  but essentially all that happened was them allowing me to bounce shots off their armor while they sailed around trying to bumper car me. Which actually was comical for the simple fact they did more damage to ea. other than actually ever hitting me. After one of their capitaines took more damage than he probably thought he was going to, and possibly having a decently dangerous leak they all

sailed off and waved me fair winds, safe travels and a !Salut. Actions that have occurred since then are not part of any of knowledge one way or another.

!Salut

• Like 5

Chustler Sir,

Friends and respect are earnt... and friends are not gained with cheap propaganda and belittlement. Today I have read nothing but venom coming from the USN towards the French, yet on the other hand you clearly state your desire for friends in the region.

How do you think this is possible if you do nothing other than fill the boards with cheap shots and bemoan every Fleet that borders you?

You also constantly reference us the SLRN, yet with your own admission we have not yet come to blows. Its almost bordering infatuation! ;)

..... I can assure you we have no influence over the respected SLMFr, they are independent and masters of their own destiny. Yet you have failed to show them any respect, even calling them "Lapdogs of the British", I mean please. You in the USN seem to have the impressive ability to drive wedges between most the Fleets in game, without any need for outside help. I'd like to say carry on the good work, but with the common threat of the Pirate scourge we may have to be unlikely partners in the future.

If I can give any advice sir, build bridges, dont knock them down! ;)

"Nothing but venom."  Please sir, where is this venom, apart from the one line comments from random people:

Typical Frenchie

Is very unacceptable in my opinion, yes, but from a  random player who has a post count of 3.  Ignore him.

And there are a few comments from people who do not trust the relationship between SLRN and SLMFr.  Yes, they could have been termed differently and nicer (no "lapdog" comments), but it isn't that different from what we see from others.  While I myself trust Grim, others have privately raised the issue of how much are YOU, Charles Caldwell, able to view their forums and internal communications?    TDA has first hand experience with you violating ambassador access.  What access do you have on Sea Lords?  Do you have access to their forums?  What assurance is there that they are indeed not in league with SLRN?  Yes, Jones gave his long post.  But can we trust him?

As for you characterizing everything from the US as venom, where was the Venom in Johny's Posts, explaining that no gun was held up to a person's head and that was pure false?  Venom isn't just in the meanness of a statement, it can also be in the truthfulness of its content.  You can't just make something like that up and expect us to go along with it unless we first agree to do so.  Sure, you can come up with it, and maybe it is true, but just because you state it doesn't mean we have to go along with it, or even that people must believe our version of events.

And there are a few comments from people who do not trust the relationship between SLRN and SLMFr.  Yes, they could have been termed differently and nicer (no "lapdog" comments), but it isn't that different from what we see from others.  While I myself trust Grim, others have privately raised the issue of how much are YOU, Charles Caldwell, able to view their forums and internal communications?    TDA has first hand experience with you violating ambassador access.  What access do you have on Sea Lords?  Do you have access to their forums?  What assurance is there that they are indeed not in league with SLRN?  Yes, Jones gave his long post.  But can we trust him?

As SLVF forum Admin and Web designer, I create and monitor all forums... however we in the SLVF follow a strict code of Conduct. It has never in our 12 year history ever been abused!

And as for your forum, I only accessed forums I was given permission to view along with any other Ambassador group member...Im no hacker.  If I viewed forums not allowed or restricted, I'd question the competence of your forum Admin. ;)

With regard to your stance with the SLMFr, that's all your doing and your decision to trust or not, I've just been an amused observer.

Anglo-Spanish ties become stronger.

The Australian Colonial Navy / AUSEZ have come to a non-aggression pact with Real Armada Española / RAE.

We hope the start of this friendship will be mutually beneficial to both nations.

The leadership of RAE, i applauded you for your decency, respect and ability to negotiate.  

May we both prosper in this fine game of ours.

• Like 3

For all those concerned,

Role play is difficult because it is full of Bravado, propaganda, cultural slights, and language structure we don't use commonly in modern days, along with one sided views. We need to see through the role play and understand it for what it is, acting. If you suspect that someones RP vitriol is bordering on a real life attitude against another then you can simply pm that person and ask. You may find, like in the case of NakorBS, that they are just playing a role and are extremely friendly otherwise.

As an example I will use NakorBS. I led the negotiations with him behind the scenes. It was a serious, passionate, defensive, and a tough discussion. Never was he rude or mean. When the discussions broke down and we decided to not make peace he immediately changed his serious tone to one of friendship in conflict.

I've now have talked with three French clans in LA and their major shipbuilder in the area. All have responded the same way. Tough in the face of pending war, and really friendly once the decision for war was made. And that says something for them because they acted that way as the weaker party. They could have responded in anger and frustration knowing that they would begin loosing their ports shortly. They didn't and I respect them for it.

I would love to be a part of this beer summit.

I have a suggestion but first thanks for explaining the SLVF structure.

In my negotiations with NakorBC I spent time researching the SLVF to see if I could verify anything that he was telling me. I read your forums. I found nothing to either confirm or deny what he was saying. The breakdown in discussion was in part due to trust. NakorBC claimed only a NAP with SLRN but SLRN listed them as one of the alliance members and we had already been lied to and in all honestly treated quite rudely by another one of SLRN's partners. So I went to your forums to see if I could find anything that suggested that your various groups fought against each other from time to time and I could find none of it. (I will say I was impressed with the sense of community there)

My suggestion is that you post a thread for those like me that are researching your group and the relationships between its various parts just stating how the groups interact.

With regards to the history and its validity i can only point out that in the interest of keeping the forums clean and tidy and current all the older history has been hidden away its still there just buried.

(no "lapdog" comments)

I call them as I see them. However, I have retracted my lapdog comment (though only in this thread, not in the Newspaper).

As one of the French attacked outside of Nouvelle-Orleans it was actually all in good fun. it was 8x various Snows/Merc/Cerbs vs my basic cutter. Not having full grasp of the in-game battle chat yet, I wasnt able to fully communicate w/USN, TF,  but essentially all that happened was them allowing me to bounce shots off their armor while they sailed around trying to bumper car me. Which actually was comical for the simple fact they did more damage to ea. other than actually ever hitting me. After one of their capitaines took more damage than he probably thought he was going to, and possibly having a decently dangerous leak they all

sailed off and waved me fair winds, safe travels and a !Salut. Actions that have occurred since then are not part of any of knowledge one way or another.

Having been part of the fleeting groups a handful of times, this describes most of the US v French pvp interaction in Louisiana.

Since the economy and politics are player based I don't think that this is a good idea, the player based politics are what makes this game fun.

They make it realistic because players react as humans and that is how politics work, it's not just rolling a dice.

i get the drift, the thing is it does not work, or only for a small amount of people that live in their own micro cosmos.

i just read denmark, the nation i play, and USA are "friendly", now i did not know that before, most US players wont either. so on the OW map if you meet each other, "red" names and all, combat will happen cause the game tells me we are at war and i can attack without repercussions.

just cause some ppl write up some stuff in some forums thread, doesnt make it "work" in my view. there need to be repercussions for attacking a friendly nation, that would be "realistic" and that would be how "politics work". politics dont work in isolated pockets that is a forums thread where noone else can see it(like 90% of player base not in forums). its borderline stupid to believe otherwise i think.

that is why for my taste the devs should handle this with something like long therm events that are war and peace. yes, most clans will see this thread here, however none of them have to pay any attention to it, whats written here is almost meaningless if you pay no respect to it. it does not stick, its not officially "enforced". i hope you get where i am coming from. politics gota be enforced or barely anyone with give a damn about it.

thats what i think about it.

• Like 1

i get the drift, the thing is it does not work, or only for a small amount of people that live in their own micro cosmos.

i just read denmark, the nation i play, and USA are "friendly", now i did not know that before, most US players wont either. so on the OW map if you meet each other, "red" names and all, combat will happen cause the game tells me we are at war and i can attack without repercussions.

just cause some ppl write up some stuff in some forums thread, doesnt make it "work" in my view. there need to be repercussions for attacking a friendly nation, that would be "realistic" and that would be how "politics work". politics dont work in isolated pockets that is a forums thread where noone else can see it(like 90% of player base not in forums). its borderline stupid to believe otherwise i think.

that is why for my taste the devs should handle this with something like long therm events that are war and peace. yes, most clans will see this thread here, however none of them have to pay any attention to it, whats written here is almost meaningless if you pay no respect to it. it does not stick, its not officially "enforced". i hope you get where i am coming from. politics gota be enforced or barely anyone with give a damn about it.

Devs already announced that ingame politics and diplomacy instruments will be added, it isn't just yet implemented.

• Like 1

I get your point, and if it was like that, that I write things down and people have to obey that, you are completly right.

But it isn't like that, I am in contact with the leaders of each nation's major clans, they tell me what is going on, and the major clans are most of the time working together with the smaller clans.

And that how I get the information for this topic, there will always be smaller clans and solo players who kill everything on sight, so be it.

But this topic covers the attitude of 3/4 of the people towards other nations, because that 3/4 is in the major clans and obey their policy's .

So if you just want to sink ships and not work together as a nation, then pirates is the way to go.

Because nations are their to work together as a team and that team has a policy towards other nations, and that is what is displayed here.

• Like 6

W/out knowing exactly what the devs have in mind for 'political involvement' on their part, I think in a game of this size it

1) wont be necessary

2) wont work well

3) would be better handled by the players in game.

4) not sure I want the devs saying, "Dutch are now allied w/French, or Spanish (or whoever). I like that my enemy atm is close by.

I do think that having soo many factions was a good idea though. So often games go w/just simple 3ways and since we've got so many more it

helps create some nice randomness that may be creatively used by us as players. What I do see playing out depending on population and overall

aggressiveness of whoever gathering up all the ports plenty of options for alliances to prevent map wins, much like happened in PoTBS when

someone would get close to victory conditions. Now if say for instance, the map just stagnates for an extended period of time, than sure, lets

see what the devs have in mind, but until than, lets see what we can make of the tools we can use before us.

• Like 3

Let's get back on track. State your Navy/Guild/Clan/National (which ever you believe you represent) alignment in relation to opposing nations.

Bram is correct. Dev's will work the mechanics, if any, to address political sway. In the interim, this is what we've got :)

• Like 1