Game-Labs Forum

Ship speeds

jodgi

True maturin.

But shoklar's thing could be a more intuitive presentation of a ship's performance as an alternative to the oldschool X/Y graphs. It reminds me of the flight manual performance envelopes made for almost all military and civilian aircraft, I think it's cool.

42fbbd5558a75111dc14cd2f7f0a0826.jpg

Also, later on we might be able to make an overlay presentation of these, where you can look at several profiles superimposed over eachother. Then you will be able to quickly see the cerb thing from your post above.

That's actually where I got the idea...I started out my career as an aerospace engineer :P

The ultimate plan is to create comparisons between ships, as shown on the first page (Renomee vs Lynx)...thereby showing relative differences in speed.  The previous graph on this page is just for a format example.  I'm writing software to automate production of the comparison graphs.  Most elements are already in place, other than final presentation, so I just wanted to fix the format before I go overboard on coding.

Things have changed, don't trust the numbers.

I'll get to it, but I'm busy with the many grind walls, sorry.

I've been busy with real life and the grind as well.  The program is finished for creating the polars, so I'll create them whenever you get new numbers :)

• Like 2

I tested the guns weight effect today on my Belle Poule.

Results:

Exceptional Oak Belle Poule + gold speed bonus, no speed upgrades

12lb L guns + 2x 6lb L guns on the upper deck - top speed 11,5 knots

I replaced weather deck and rear chasers with 24lbs carronades and the top speed was 11,9 knots. 

Pretty nice difference. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ahoy,

Just wanted to flag that I have compiled what little data I have myself and added it to the wiki. I have made charts for ship speed as well as a more generic sailing profile where speed on each point is measured as a fraction of the top speed reachable. The ship speed values are actually caluclated using the sailing profile and multiplying by the maximum speed of an unarmed default (teak/oak) ship. I'll be adding to it as soon as I get my hands on more ships! :)

Hope they are useful to some of you!

• Like 1

Ahoy,

Just wanted to flag that I have compiled what little data I have myself and added it to the wiki. I have made charts for ship speed as well as a more generic sailing profile where speed on each point is measured as a fraction of the top speed reachable. The ship speed values are actually caluclated using the sailing profile and multiplying by the maximum speed of an unarmed default (teak/oak) ship. I'll be adding to it as soon as I get my hands on more ships! :)

Hope they are useful to some of you!

Nice stuff!

Maybe you and I should set up a shared sheet for the speed values? Then we can fill in the holes and cover more ships... Think about it.

• Like 5

Nice stuff!

Maybe you and I should set up a shared sheet for the speed values? Then we can fill in the holes and cover more ships... Think about it.

Sounds terrific! I've got a few spreadsheets on the go, I can either try and make one look decent enough to make it shareable (they're all a bit of a mess) or we can make a new one - which you would prefer?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, woodenfish said:

Can anyone explain to me how you get the speed in the game from the api info? I can't work the conversion out. What unit is the MaxSpeed in the api in?

You might need to read a bit back and forth, but it's all there.

• Like 1