Game-Labs Forum

Your favorite songs from the age of fighting sail.

Hawke

I honestly don't have an answer:) 1700s to the 1800s or classical to the romantic period produced some of the most epic music ever created. The best composers ever lived in that period. Seemed like it most have been a pretty colorful yet harsh time to live through. There's so much music from that period I love that I don't know if I could decide.

• 2 weeks later...

How about an excellent song written after the time period about the time period :D 

There were times on Lady while loosing sail aloft for a battle sail, that we would all start belting this out, the passengers loved it.  And so did we :)

Thank for linking this one Ryan. As a man who lived in Halifax, I greatly appreciated hearing this tune again.

I really want players to be able to collect sea shanties and have the crew sing them.

Other players would be able to hear them as well, and they could be aquired in different ways.

*some would be nation specific. (in the native language perhaps?)

*some would spread simply by hearing another player's crew singing it a few times. (Johny Reb suggested this to me.)

*Some would be aquired randomly when you dock up in port.

*some would be secret, and difficult to find. >.>

*if the game is F2P, a few of these could be sold.

On top of this, I'd like to be able to sync up the songs with my group.

I can imagine forming the line of battle against the spanish fleet, winning the day, and having the entire squadron burst out with "farwell and adieu" as the surviving spaniards flee.

Sadly, placing quality versions of these songs into the game is no small expense.

That said, I would happily donate an extra $50 to help get this into the game.

• Like 2

I really want players to be able to collect sea shanties and have the crew sing them.

Other players would be able to hear them as well, and they could be aquired in different ways.

*some would spread simply by hearing another player's crew singing it a few times. (Johny Reb suggested this to me.)

I can imagine forming the line of battle against the spanish fleet, winning the day, and having the entire squadron burst out with "farwell and adieu" as the surviving spaniards flee.

Sadly, placing quality versions of these songs into the game is no small expense.

That said, I would happily donate an extra $50 to help get this into the game.

Heck, I'd happily pull out a fiddle and start to sing to get this into game, I can't say it would be the best quality though! 

I really like the idea about nation specific songs, along with picking up new ones from port or another persons crew. Perhaps if you have captured crew join your own, they can teach the song to your men? 

This would be a feature that you remember the game by, years from now.

But seriously, it has been suggested before somewhere (in this thread? or in the 'little things' thread? (by you?)) and it is a really good idea:

• it is a perfect line of 'fanity' items, to be sold as extra content;

it self advertises itself even more, if you can hear a distant ship sing the song, but can't learn it because you didn't buy it yet,

• it offers immersion from a whole different angle,
  • it offers 'collectables' that do not influence gameplay and still do a whole lot more than a simple 'batch' in your profile or something.
  • Special unique songs could be offered for early backers of a kickstarter, winners of in-game tournaments, etc.

Cheers,

Brigand

• Special unique songs could be offered for early backers of a kickstarter, winners of in-game tournaments, etc.

This I hadn't considered, and is a very good idea.

Johny Reb and I came up with a bunch of ideas brainstorming this on Teamspeak a while ago.

He posted something on it, but It seems to me like a topic that merits further discourse.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't usually follow Tavern topics but today I am reading all that I have missed. I did post it in another thread after a brainstorming session with Sir Thorne but it was ALL his idea. I latched onto it right away and I think it would be great fun so give him the credit.

I had seen a post when I first signed up here about having the ability to play music.

It was a short leap from that to sea shanties.

I can't in all good conscience take credit for the idea though, having played Assassin's Creed 4.

AC:4 has almost an hours worth of recorded sea shanties.