Game-Labs Forum

Your favorite songs from the age of fighting sail.

Hawke

As I said before, I would really enjoy seeing these songs in game. My only concern is that they will most likely be expensive to produce, and will only add some novelty to sailing at sea. Eventually, you are going to get tired of period tunes, turn them off and swap over to playing iTunes in the background. :P

Well I think the idea is that you can have your crew singing them on command not that they are just always singing them.

Pretty much.

As I said before, I would really enjoy seeing these songs in game. My only concern is that they will most likely be expensive to produce, and will only add some novelty to sailing at sea. Eventually, you are going to get tired of period tunes, turn them off and swap over to playing iTunes in the background. :P

Sometimes people are going to be in the mood to listen to something else anyway, but just like the in game radio in GTA, the feature will see use often enough.

Give people the ability to select a song, and the ability to hush the crew and you should be fine, as long as you have a wide musical library available.

The interactivity is important though.

Without the ability to hear what other player's crews are singing, you may as well just be listening to the sea shanties on Itunes...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Something similar like those below would be nice to hear from crew when sailing (not main game songs), especially at night and when calm.

Altho that game isn't what it was and is pretty much mediocre sequel, the songs worth noticing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Play Assasins Creed 4 and collect all of the sea shantes. When you sail, yer lads sing them. I love Low Lands Away. You can find them on Youtube. Just type in sea shantes. I also like Whisly John.

Of course my favorite is Old Ship Mate. That's because I'm a Master and Commander junkie.

There is a new show on STARZ called Outlander. The theme is bassed on a song called Boat to Skye. Give it a listed and watch the show, if ya aint. Not nautical, but awesome none the less.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"https://www.youtube.com/embed/BZEAw4Efiqg?rel=0"

Warning: contains rude lyrics and requires a blood-alcohol level of at least 0.1%! :)

"https://www.youtube.com/embed/QVCnkso1Ipc?rel=0"

Warning: this one contains really rude lyrics and it is highly recommended to have a blood-alcohol level of at least 0.2% while watching it! ;)

P.S If i offended anyone here or the rules please report my post so the moderators will deleted it immediately. Btw these are from Raven's Cry game. The atmosphere of pirate age is outstanding but the ship battles are very much arcade(ish) (But this is offtopic).

Best regards
Partizan

Quick 'Point of Order' - the Royal Navy (at least) didn't use Shanties as it was held to mask the calling out of important orders. Music would have been during leisure time.

Ok, now for my likes.

Loads of stuff from Fishermens Friends.

'Nelsons Blood' -

'Shanty Medely' -

'No Hopers, Jokers, and Rogues' (modern) -

A little bit of Steeleye Span, not well recorded (its much better off the album)

'Senior Service' (modern) -

An ad-hoc group, but a period piece ...

'The Gallant Frigate Amphitrite'

Coope, Boyes and Simpson

'The Thousand Miles' (18th Cent) -