Game-Labs Forum

Sea Trials results and next steps

Will there be a Mac version coming soon in Sea Trials?

You can install windows as a second OS on your MAC. Then if your video card is fine you can play. Once you need your Mac OS back for Mac things you just switch to original OS.

You can install windows as a second OS on your MAC. Then if your video card is fine you can play. Once you need your Mac OS back for Mac things you just switch to original OS.

I play on a three-year-old iMac, and it works great... though you can only run at Medium resolution. Also play on my brand new super hot Macbook Pro, and the game runs smooth as silk.

And to echo what everyone else has said, I've been in the game about two weeks now, and have already sunk more time into it than I care to admit. This is already by far the best Age of Sail-themed game I, anyway, have played -- and the potential with open world is beyond exciting.

Can't wait to see what's next!

We have currently the following top10 stats:

- Average Battles per day

- Largest Damage per day

- Largest Number of Battles

- Average Damage per battle

- Average Kills per battle

- Most victories

- Most prizes vs own ship losses

- Overall damage to enemy fleet

Only the bold marked top-10 rating is actually skill-based. All others can either be gimped or are just "gather" statistics.

Now you would say: But "Prizes vs Own Ship losses" is skill based.

Nope, it isn't for two reasons: a) Nr 1. has just the most "Prizes" while not having the best ratio to ship-losses and b.) it could be gimped by just running away after a kill (not yet possible but in open world it probably will be).

This is not exactly true either. Average damage per battle can be skewed dramatically when someone almost exclusively sails 1st and 3rd rates where it's easy to hit 20k + damage per battle while neglectng the smaller ships. The only way to see the skill in this statistic would be to break down the top 10 players for each ship.

Also, the prizes vs loss statistic is skill based however there are about 4 names on there that almost exclusively sail PvE thus the extremely low loss rate that you referenced. If you take that into consideration that list would look quite different.There is nothing wrong with PvE but their stats shouldn't be lumped in with PvP as they are entirely different animals.

• Like 2

Nope, it's not.

They might be personal Computers, as much as mobiles are, but they aren't PCs.

Even apple doesn't want a Mac to be a PC... even when the actual differences aren't as big anymore.

but back to Topic:

- Largest Damage per day

- Most victories

Only the bold marked top-10 rating is actually skill-based. All others can either be gimped or are just "gather" statistics.

Nope, it isn't for two reasons: a) Nr 1. has just the most "Prizes" while not having the best ratio to ship-losses and b.) it could be gimped by just running away after a kill (not yet possible but in open world it probably will be).

I would love to see in future more skill-based statistics, like eg. "Most sunken ships of the same kind or above", "Damage dealt to higher rated ships",... when such statistics are possible.

Also I would like to see some "Luck"/ "Heroic"-statistics: "Smallest Ship to sunk a first-rate", "Winning a game as last ship/ single ship against several ships of the same class or above",...

Ohh, and as soon as it is released: Commander-Statistics^^

sincerely,

Thonar

Actually no, average damage pr. battle is heavily influenced by the size of the ship you usually sail; i.e. if you mostly sail rated ships then naturally your average damage pr. battle will be higher than if you usually sails smaller ships. 

Also it needs to be noted that without any seperate statistic for performance in PvP battles only (which I really miss considering that's all I ever played), any judgement of skill is impossible. 

This is not exactly true either. Average damage per battle can be skewed dramatically when someone almost exclusively sails 1st and 3rd rates where it's easy to hit 20k + damage per battle while neglectng the smaller ships. The only way to see the skill in this statistic would be to break down the top 10 players for each ship.

Also, the prizes vs loss statistic is skill based however there are about 4 names on there that almost exclusively sail PvE thus the extremely low loss rate that you referenced. If you take that into consideration that list would look quite different.There is nothing wrong with PvE but their stats shouldn't be lumped in with PvP as they are entirely different animals.

Beat me to it Lev :)

• Like 1

You two are correct, I missed that point, which makes it even worse :wacko:

€: The Prizes vs Loss statistic is a ratio statistic in which the ratio isn't taken, with or without being skewed by PVE, thus the statistic is flawed in itself. Except I miss something.

Edited by Thonar

Nope, it's not.

They might be personal Computers, as much as mobiles are, but they aren't PCs.

Even apple doesn't want a Mac to be a PC... even when the actual differences aren't as big anymore.

but back to Topic:

- Largest Damage per day

- Most victories

I would love to see in future more skill-based statistics, like eg. "Most sunken ships of the same kind or above", "Damage dealt to higher rated ships",... when such statistics are possible.

Also I would like to see some "Luck"/ "Heroic"-statistics: "Smallest Ship to sunk a first-rate", "Winning a game as last ship/ single ship against several ships of the same class or above",...

Ohh, and as soon as it is released: Commander-Statistics^^

sincerely,

Thonar

Along with what Lev and Sir Cunningham said, someone who is sticking on the edge of combat letting their teammate do the brunt of the fighting is going to last longer and do more damage.  Damage done is not skill based at all.

I don't know if there is any statistic that is accurately skilled based

Edited by Prater

ok...so joining Trails 2 is:    "old players " , santissima , then everyone else ?

what about :  your are AN OLD player, youve seen santissima,   and you havnt played the damn game , nobody tells you when its out

and youve been twitching since it started ??!!!!

Do we get a look in ????

Gary ( age 58 3/4 )  ( my dad told me )    :P:D:huh:

Really, you discuss on statistics from the alpha, and how much they reflect skill?  :blink:

It is scary to think what will happen in the full game.

58763754.jpg

Sure, because we all play only to get into the stats... how many Tetris-Gamer are probably just Stat-Whores?

It is simply about the fact that the current stats are telling nothing and are thus just... a waste of time.

When stats are shown: I want them to be worth something... that doesn't mean I play to be in the top10.

But yes, I play to get better... and stats are necessary to get better... but they don't help if they are worth nothing.

Along with what Lev and Sir Cunningham said, someone who is sticking on the edge of combat letting their teammate do the brunt of the fighting is going to last longer and do more damage.  Damage done is not skill based at all.

Don't think so, because it isn't controllable for the most time (I'm talking here about several hundred battles) to stay out of the "brunt".

Yes, sure, it might be doable for a few times, but I think this problem doesn't gimp the statistic to such a degree that it gets important for it.

Someone who would try what you say to an extreme would usually need the more maneuverable/ faster ship... but such ship doesn't get the damage output as a First-Rate in the majority of the battles.

What is absolutely true, is what Lev and Cunningham said, they doesn't take the Ship-Choice into account and thus are flawed.

Combat efficiency?

I do not deny the sense of statistics in computer games. But  this particular case, the alpha phase, any serious conclusions, and treating "stats" as something more than a curiosity is funny in my opinion.

• Like 1

I do not deny the sense of statistics in computer games. But  this particular case, the alpha phase, any serious conclusions, and treating "stats" as something more than a curiosity is funny in my opinion.

So... statistics aren't part of the Alpha?

Telling them what kind of statistics might be more important than the currently shown, the flaws in them, aren't important to fix?

Sure, they are not on place 1 on the priority-list, but they have their place.

I don't have a problem with you thinking that stats are unimportant, that's absolutely fine.

But engaging others and attacking them with terms like "Stat Whore" only because they are showing flaws in published statistics is simply offensive.

Not to mention: Such simple things show you how much effort and love a company put into their game and are part of every good quality control.

When they say: "Hey, thanks for the imput, we might change it later, but currently other things are more important" than everything is fine, especially at this stage of the game.

As soon as they say: We won't change it because it isn't important for gameplay... the game is dead for the simple reason: The developer doesn't care anymore. See for example Eugen Systems...

Of course, the statistics data collected in alpha is great importance for the developers. At the same time, these stats are not really reliable for players ("who is the best!?") , because the statistical result is distorted so much (by bugs, experiments, crashing, etc) that drawing any valid conclusions is impossible.

Engaging? Attacking? Really? 

Eot for me. I'm sorry if I offended anyone ...

Edited by PrezesOi

Enough of crap talk:) - everybody knows Bart is the best:)

Nonsense! Stats be damned - don't let the pesky fact that I sink so much blind you to the reality that I'm obviously the best NA skipper.

Edited by GrapeShot

Will Santi owners be included in testing stage 2 please?

As a retired 69 year old Santi owner, I have plenty of time on my hands :)

Now that I've re-read my post, "plenty of time" seems a little optimistic at my age.

But hey, who's counting.

I just hope I'll live long enough to see the Open World though. :o

Edited by Bolitho
  • Like 3

Now that I've re-read my post, "plenty of time" seems a little optimistic at my age.

But hey, who's counting.

I just hope I'll live long enough to see the Open World though. :o

I've been wondering and hoping for the same thing for a month now..- knock wood