Game-Labs Forum

The Black Ship .... HMS HERMIONE 1782

Hmm....I hope she appears in the game under the name Retribution rather than Hermione, to distinguish from the famous French ship that also stands a good chance of being added in the future.  Plus it is a such an awesome "F U guys" name. :)  (Also would make a great generic 32-gun frigate.)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

HMS Hermione was built in Bristol by a British builder. There were other Spanish frigates called Santa Cecilia you may be thinking of, but Hermione wasn't even captured by the Spanish - she was purchased (at a pittance) from the mutineers by the local authorities.

And when I saw the Santa Cecilia name in the API, I was thinking it was the devs being clever and we were getting the 12pd 26 gun frigate Juno.

http://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_ship&id=13005

Oh well.

Why does this source indicated a Spanish and British vessel collaborating to take a French frigate during the Seven Years War?

Juno and Scarborough take Echo. Am I reading this wrong?

If the devs really thought of satisfying the spanish players they would model more important ships like the Montañes.

The decision to build this ship was entirely mine! it has nothing to do with pleasing anyone except me, she is my favourite 12 pdr 32 gun frigate and has an interesting history! She did serve in both Spanish and British navies and I for one fail to see what is wrong with the introduction of such a ship as this. In Spanish service she carried more guns and crew than she had done in British service . 

As for not calling her Hermione so people do not confuse her with the French L'hermione   one starts with a H and the other with an L, and there were many ships with similar names to one another .

• Like 1

It will be a wellcome adittion to the game, I can assure you this.

I really like your model as the one made by fredy.

Im only a bit sad that we dont have more variety on the big ships and also the fact that most of the ships ingame are british.

thank you sir...... as I said before the decision to build this ship was mine and only because she is my favourite 32 gun frigate... but her name is HMS Hermione ..... I suppose she should be called "the black ship" rather than "the bloody Hermione" though

• Like 1

seeing the images she does appear very nice

I am interested to know about the figurehead, and apologies in advance on my terrible knowledge of mythological characters other than the obvious, is the figurehead depicting Hermione, or is that depicting St.Cecilia?

The figurehead is a feminised Hermes - Hermione is a feminine name rendered as 'gift of Hermes'.

The ship looks absolutely lovely - rich wood stain for the masts and planking, subdued brightwork. Her rig, with no spritsails and very upright fore-and-aft elements, is nicely distinctive. I'd say well done Ragnar and everyone else who helped finish her, and I look forward to sailing her.

Why does this source indicated a Spanish and British vessel collaborating to take a French frigate during the Seven Years War?

Juno and Scarborough take Echo. Am I reading this wrong?

I think it's a mistake on threedecks. I can find references to a British 32-gun frigate named Juno (different from the 26 gun spanish 6th rate, but both armed with 12pders) which participated in the capture of the Echo of of Luisberg during the siege.

I think it's a mistake on threedecks. I can find references to a British 32-gun frigate named Juno (different from the 26 gun spanish 6th rate, but both armed with 12pders) which participated in the capture of the Echo of of Luisberg during the siege.

It's a mistake. The Juno that took L'Echo in 1758 was a Richmond-class 32. She lasted from 1757 through 1778 when she was burned at Rhode Island to keep the French from taking her. Good class, better than the competing Southhamptons (the first 12-pdr frigates in the RN).