Game-Labs Forum

>>>Beta v1.4 Feedback<<< [Final version released]

Nick Thomadis

Hello fellow admirals,

We are glad to announce that the next major update is available for you to play in its first Beta version! The update offers a rich amount of new ships and interesting new mechanics that make gameplay more interesting and realistic.

The first beta content is not finished. Auto-Design may be not optimized yet in time management, not all hulls are added (although the majority is available, with 42 new hulls), and there may be things that need addressing.

Please read below what the new update includes up to now:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1069660/view/6586007300350505270 

2023-09-15_01-29-48.jpg

Installation instructions:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1069660/discussions/3/3191362449922656706/ 

Please read this information on how to correctly reset your data (if needed):
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1069660/discussions/2/3832043983170771555/ 

=================================='

[Update 2]
- Quick fix of auto-design errors. This fix will improve drastically the process time of campaign generation, campaign turns, custom battle / naval academy AI fleet generation, addressing the temporary very long loading time.
- Campaign economy adjustment. Increased province income to support the new ship costs better.

[Update 3]
- Fixed temporary issues of the campaign, not storing correctly the ship locations, paths etc. Fleet generation should be also even faster. Please let us know if you still anticipate problems with your ships not appearing in the previously assigned ports.
- Fixed armor limits that were not working properly for some hulls (Belt armor could not be edited etc.). This change may affect some of your designs, so you need to check them.
- Fixed lags in UI and too much tooltip delays or inconsistent showing up of tooltips. The tooltips should appear promptly now, without lags, without too much delay.

[Update 4]
- Fixed critical issue which created double entries in the data of ships, resulting in more ships in your active fleet or in the building queue. Most critical bugs, if not all, should be gone now. Thank you for your feedback.

[Update 5]
- Fixed tooltips not showing up for land battles and other map labels.

[Update 6]
- +15 New hulls increasing the total new hulls of the current beta to 57 (a few more will be added). The list is too long. Please read the total list of hulls added which became updated.
- Various and many fixes and improvements on old and new hulls.
- Fixed temporary issues with scale for some new quad guns. Please report if you find any remaining inconsistency.
- Auto-Design optimizations.
- New balance on armor, and ship weights.
- Battle AI adjustments.
- Port Strike missions that have no opponent have now a "Withdraw" option.
- Various repairs to issues with LOD of hull parts. This fix should increase fps performance in constructor and combat.

Please note: Saves had to be reset due to the magnitude of fixes and repairs which would make many of designed ships to break.

[Update 7]
- Fixed "Withdraw" button not having effect in port strike missions with no warship opponent.
- Fixed ship collision issue causing, among other, no torpedo hits in some new hulls. (Needs testing)
- Fixed a few issues in some hulls. Please test the new 3-mast hull frontal dual torpedoes if they work now in all cases.
- Mark1, Mark2 single guns of 2-inch, 3-inch caliber no longer use the much heavier and bigger shielded model.
- Further adjustments in weights of ships. This may affect your current ship designs or AI designs but not critically.
- Auto-Design important optimization. You should notice much faster auto-design procedures, campaign turns, campaign generations.

[Update 8]
- Improved further the speed and effectiveness of auto-design processes, speeding up campaign turns and the generation of fleets. 
Please Restart Steam to get this update fast.

[Update 9]
- Fixed critical issue of the autodesign creating delays. The new side barbette freedom was not "hard checked' for fire arc blocking so the AI often put side barbettes obscuring main guns and cancelling the design in multiple tries.
- Fixed other critical issues which could create unbuildable ships.
- Other minor fixes.

***Saves had to be reset. Please delete your shared designs that may be incompatible or repair them***

[Update 10]
- Fixed remaining issues of auto-design,hull part problems, creating campaign turn lags and campaign generation delays. 
- Added +10 more hulls increasing the new hulls to a 68 total. The list is too long. Please read the full list on the central thread.
- Increased a little the population growth in the campaign, to cover the many deaths due to war.
- Improved further the logic of major offensives now working also for the offensives against minor nations. Overall the governments should choose to invade more wisely.
- Fixed torpedoes not hitting some hulls.
- Further 3D battle performance optimization.

The saves had to be reset, due to the many fixes in hulls and code. Please make sure to clean up your saved designs as well.

[Update 11]
- Fixed various long standing issues of auto-design code, resulting in many errors in late tech ships due to cancelling a design because of empty barbettes (which now are handled more efficiently). The auto-design time and results should be now the best so far in the game.
- +7 more hulls increasing the total new hulls to 74. Please read the long list at the end for those new ships.
- Fixed issue that resulted in the bombardment of the enemy port even when you have withdrawn from the battle.
- Various minor fixes and improvements in many hulls.
- US "Large Scout Cruiser" hull was replaced by another model. Any campaign using this ship will surely be bugged, please note, do not report this error. Just restart your campaign.

***It is advised to restart your campaigns to notice all the improvements and have no bugs. If you choose to continue your campaign, please do not report any issue to us.***

[Update 12]
- Fixed some minor hull issues that were reported.
- Optimization for the auto-design in some hull types.
- Optimization of the tooltip timer (it is now shorter).

Please note that no other new hull is planned to be added, unless you guys advise that is needed to fill the technology gap of a nation. No save wipe out is expected either before the finalization of the patch, unless a major bug is found that needs it. We expect to release the patch next week, when we add new  Naval Academy missions.

[Update 13]
- Added +13 more hulls, most of them based on your recent requests. No more can be added because the patch must be finalized.
- Various fixes, optimizations in auto-design, part collider logic and hulls. All those changes can affect many of your current designs and make your campaigns break. It is advised to restart campaigns and clean up broken designs to have a fully operational game.
- Fixed bug that made port strike missions against no opponent to not cause port damage.
- Enabled quad main guns for light cruisers after about 1935. Due to tech id changes, the guns may not appear in current saved campaigns or ship designs, you need to clean up.
- Added the ability in several USA and Chinese early guns to have other mounted guns on top of them.
- Fixed a rare bug that made shared ships not usable in custom battles.
- Adjusted hull stabilization factors after recent fixes, improvements on hulls. 
- Dynamic aim factors adjusted to be even more dynamic, following the changes in pitch/roll factors that are more important now according to ship design.

***We did not wipe out saves but it is strongly advised to clean up your saves, after the changes of this patch. If you choose to not do it, please do not report bugs to us.***

[Update 14]
- Fixed critical issue making Refit process to not work and freeze campaign turns often.
- Fixed minor collision interference for casemates of US "Battleship III".

[Update 15]
- Improved/Fixed collider system of several new 3-mast hulls. Designs based on those hulls may become unusable, please note. AI opponents with bugged guns will not be operational or crashes may happen in your current campaigns.
- Improved some other hulls in various aspects.
- Further optimizations in auto-design logic. Auto-designed ships should be the best possible and their auto-design process faster.
- Submarines rebalanced to be stronger in attack and raiding power. Please note that submarines not only produce losses in auto-resolved battles but also passively increase TR losses per turn  in a sea region 
- Population growth increased in campaign. Population should more noticeably be increased when there is economic growth.

[Update 16]
- Fine tunings in ship collider system (affects positively auto-design and fire arc restrictions).
- Balanced out muzzle velocity and fire rate according to gun length caliber. Ballistics and penetrations got auto-adjusted accordingly based on the new data, allowing for even more historical behavior of guns depending on their technology. Previously the gun velocity could become too high, even on early guns.
- Other minor fixes.

Note: Only some new naval academy missions remain to finalize the patch, next week.

[Update 17]
- Fixed old bug causing fuel depletion when passing via the Pacific zone.
- Fixed critical bug of Russian 2-inch guns Mark II not scaling properly.
- Added extra towers to Italian cruiser "Modern Heavy Cruiser IV".

[Update 18]
- Improved the fire arc calculation system, fixing issues where the fire arcs were more limited than they should. This improvement affects the game greatly, in the design phase and in battle, addressing issues where guns were unable to rotate and fire because of a few degrees difference.
- Improved Battle AI on how it manages divisions and formations in general. 

[Update 19]
- Polishes on the Auto-Design to produce even more effective ships.
- Fixed major old issue with the operational range not being consistent in battles, resulting in early fuel depletion. Rebalance of the operational range to fit the new code base.
- Campaign AI adjustments on the way it manages fleets and economy.
- Various fixes, improvements in hulls, repairs on new guns that were overweight, Many changes that would surely result in campaign errors. We have reset the saves to make them bug free. Saved Designs must be repaired or cleaned up by you (either manually or by using the updated internal tool, pressing the related button).
- Optimizations in the ship sinking animations.
- 3x New Naval Academy Missions (mentioned in the central thread).

Note: We will add at least 2x new missions and the patch should be ready for release, depending on your new feedback.

[Update 20]
- Optimizations affecting positively the fps performance in 3D battles but also the auto-design and campaign calculations.
- Old Italian "Battleship II" replaced by "Battleship III", a new model. This change can affect your ongoing campaign with critical bug, but it was necessary.
- Further AI campaign economy management adjustments.

[Update 21]
- Further optimizations in auto-design to be faster, keeping the effectiveness.
- Further optimizations in general. Turret rotation during battle should be sharper than ever. If you notice turret jamming, please make sure you have fully cleaned up your campaigns in previous patches, YOU DO NOT use any other saves that can affect fire arc for your ships.

This is a Release Candidate for the major patch. Further fixes will be made according to feedback, if needed.

[Update 22]
- Further optimizations in auto-design to be faster. Campaign turn times should be stabilized now.
- Fixed conditions of last Naval Academy mission now allowing multi-nation fleets.

[Update 23]
- Further optimizations in auto-design.
- Some fixes for issues in hulls that were reported.

[Update 24]
- More small fixes for hulls for reported issues.
- Ship part special collider logic is further improved for even more accurate fire arc calculations and less errors in auto-design, errors that previously caused delays to find a valid design.

It seems this is a good Release Candidate. Brace yourselves for the final release, very soon!

This is an RC version. From now on, minor updates may happen with further optimizations, minor fixes, without news' updates., until the full release, which is arriving very soon, tomorrow, or on Monday.

[RC 6 Version]
- Fixed a few more issues found in some hulls.
- Further Auto-Design/ Part Collider logic optimizations for more effective AI designs and more accurate part placement of parts by players.
- Battle AI adjustments.

[Update RC v7]
- Fixed more issues of hulls that were recently reported.
- Fixed "cunning" major old bug which caused inconsistent fire arcs, a bug that was very hard to trace because it could not be reproduced in our game engine, but only in the build.

[Update RC v8]
- Fine tuning and minor fixes.

We will fully release v1.4 today.

Please Restart Steam to get this update fast

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

Gave a light test to the update. I love the new options for hulls, like being able to mount small barbettes on the sides, and like the variety of towers in early and mid game hulls. However, I still think that the "modern" hulls are severely lacking on tower variety. With most of them still only having two ir three sizes of the same towers.

Wanted to give a go to campaign, but campaign takes unbearably long to start. So long that first two times I thought it had hung, stuck in January 1887 (where it starts), third attempt killed after a 15 minutes wait, still on april 1887.

• Like 4

I have found 3 bugs: The first one I found was that technology sometimes doesn't update correctly with the ship designer, so you may have to refresh the ship designer multiple times. The second was that I somehow doubled the number of ships in my fleet, I don't know what caused it but it happened after refreshing the ship designer multiple times. The third is that an allied minor's ships would list themselves into your fleet registry and the player can set the crew and scrap the allied minor's ships.

Edit: I have found that reloading the save will fix these mishaps, but it's inconvenient one has reload a save due to some bug.

Edited by basedana

Sorry, not looking good. I was (Joyfully) hoping that the long delay was a sign that the dev's would be through. I was wrong.

I have designed 1 ship (BB) and fought a custom battle (1x BB.BC,CA,LC,DD each, I designed my BB). The battle took 5 minutes to load. The AI designs were fine (yea) but every one of my torpedo salvos launched fired at 180 deg from the target at empty water (no smoke, no ships), AI salvos were fine.  I couldn't really evaluate formations as I had too few ships but I did notice that there is no pre-battle deployment phase so many players, myself included, have been desperatly asking for, even if it was merely assigning ships to divisions.

The shipbuilding UI is still poor. Mirroring only works with simple, unrotated components. Important information is still hidden in long lists (ignoring a basic principle of UI design or even basic database design), no rollover for the data showing affecting factors presented for entries at the center top of the screen, which you would assume the Dev's thought were important. Some models are asymetric, Dual barbettes are one example, which prevents mirroring from working in tight spaces. When mirroring does work for rotated components the mirrored component is unrotated.

It would seem the pleas of many, many players have simply fallen on deaf ears. New models for hulls and components are great, and much apreciated but I can't help feeling this is not the highest priority for making this a great and successful game at this time. I can only hope the devs release some comprehensive modding tools as this would enable the community to do their thing and turn this into an exceptional game, greatly enhancing sales as, after all, you need the base game to mod it! I'd like to see tool to import ship models from common file types, edit or creat countries, so for example, players could activate the ottoman empire/egypt/india/... as a player option. Sure it would use other countries ships, but it would at least be available. At least make it possible for the players to do the work themselves (Oh no BLASPHEMY! but more sales). Obviously I'd like to see the ability to turn off controversial features such as mines, subs and flaws (What MORE blasphemy).

Still waiting for a 1900 campaign to load which I started about ten minutes befor logging on to this forum, currently up to May 1897 and I am not a fast typer.

Oh wait "Click to Continue"! something like 35-40 minutes after launching the campaign just as I was about to sign off.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

so, kind of sobering patch sadly....

Most new hulls are just rescaled, (partly) copy-pasted existing ones (at least graphical). Still not much new. Still feels like every nation has the exact same ships, just in different sice. Some of the Experimental Heavy Cruisers (which are rescaled japanese DDs) still have the ASW on their deck, which are hillarios big (10'' width depth charge?!?). At least, adjust their scale or remove them, before re-use an hull. 

Was hoping for more. Like when you've released the new US hulls (Texas etc). That was great. This. Nah.

42 are much. But like this, it feels still very shallow. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I managed to launch the campaign, it took about 20 minutes. I haven't noticed any critical bugs so far, but optimization feels worse.
Also:

• Tooltips no longer obstruct:
     Tooltips will no longer obstruct the interface as there is a short time delay before they are triggered.

is it possible to make this optional? I'm already used to the previous version, the new version with a delay sometimes wastes extra time.
It would be great to have this setting as a slider, from an instant reaction to a few seconds.

Edited by Lima
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Lima said:

I managed to launch the campaign, it took about 20 minutes. I haven't noticed any critical bugs so far, but optimization feels worse.
Also:

is it possible to make this optional? I'm already used to the previous version, the new version with a delay sometimes wastes extra time.
It would be great to have this setting as a slider, from an instant reaction to a few seconds.

Also, allow the player the ability to select the font size, select the delay time and make the popup textbox a dragable/resizable box with the ability to both resize the box and scroll text within the box. In 1.3.9.9 we had some ships with so many faults than many of the ship data were off the top and bottom of the screen, paying the price for a feature many don't want.

If in doubt, make it an option. Heck,just  make it an option anyway!

• Like 1

There is no hulls difference before 1915 ? All the 1890 to 1915 period as the same look, same hulls again, except Frace, all naton have the same CL CA ? It is the basic of the game and campaigm. Need more revemp for this period

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lima said:

Also:

Okay, after some time in the game, I changed my mind.
I mean, at the moment the delay is present on all tooltips. For some, this may be useful, but for such as the port panel toopltip, it is a completely unnecessary waste of time.

• Like 3

The AI is completely unable to deal with the new economic limitations. Each round almost every nation is firing their head of the admirality. There is also not a single ship out of port for any nation. 

Also I suffer transport losses of 35 million, but I am not even at war! This mechanic of losing money from having less than 100% transport capacity during peace time really needs to be changed.

8SpUopw.jpg

Edited by ZorinW
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Lucas_Slavik said:

所以,可悲的是,这是一个发人深省的补丁……

大多数新船体只是重新缩放,(部分)复制粘贴现有船体(至少是图形)。还是没什么新意。仍然感觉每个国家都有完全相同的船只,只是在不同的地方。一些实验性重型巡洋舰(日本 DD 的重新设计)的甲板上仍然有反潜战舰,它们是希拉里奥号大号(10 英寸宽的深水炸弹?!?)。至少,在重新使用船体之前,调整它们的规模或将其移除。 

本来希望有更多。就像当您发布新的美国船体(德克萨斯州等)时一样。那很棒。这。不。

42个很多了。但这样一来,感觉还是很浅薄。 

We should admit that they cannot complete the hull, and should open the tools to the players to do

• Like 2

• Nick Thomadis changed the title to >>>Beta v1.4 Feedback<<< [Update 2]

[Update 2]
- Quick fix of auto-design errors. This fix will improve drastically the process time of campaign generation, campaign turns, custom battle / naval academy AI fleet generation, addressing the temporary very long loading time.
- Campaign economy adjustment. Increased province income to support the new ship costs better.

Please Restart Steam to get this update fast.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Nick Thomadis there is a major bug. If you agree to build and sell a ship to a 3-d country, it will remain on your balance after it is commissioned. You will see the ship in your ships list. View and Scrap buttons will be enabled but the View button will open an empty shipyard and the game will stuck. You will not be able to move ships.

This bug is relevant for the latest, updated version of 1.4 beta. I was playing for Germany. Not sure how it is for the other countries.

Edited by HaMaT
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, HaMaT said:

@Nick Thomadis there is a major bug. If you agree to build and sell a ship to a 3-d country, it will remain on your balance after it is commissioned. You will see the ship in your ships list. View and Scrap buttons will be enabled but the View button will open an empty shipyard and the game will stuck. You will not be able to move ships.

This bug is relevant for the latest, updated version of 1.4 beta. I was playing for Germany. Not sure how it is for the other countries.

Experienced the same bug, playing as China