Game-Labs Forum

>>>v1.1+ Feedback<<<(Latest Update: v1.2.9R)

Nick Thomadis

43 minutes ago, arkhangelsk said:

I've just started playing again after a long hiatus, did anyone ask why you are not allowed to just build your Refit ship model? I started out with Kawachi. Then I invented Guncotton, so I refitted Kawachi into Kawachi-2. Then I realized I can't actually new-build Kawachi-2, so I copied it to create an identical Kawachi-B, except I can build it from scratch.

That plugs the problem until another small bit of new tech I'd like to incorporate is developed. But the game probably won't realize it's the same, so I'd have to make a Kawachi-3 and a Kawachi-B-2 which are the same except i'd have do the same work twice.

I end up doing the same. If you think of it from the historical perspective, you only refit ships you weren't building anymore. Changes to an existing design that resulted in new construction were considered a separate class usually. So the copy and save as new really matches that. 

Is it a bit annoying? Sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madham82 said:

I end up doing the same. If you think of it from the historical perspective, you only refit ships you weren't building anymore. Changes to an existing design that resulted in new construction were considered a separate class usually. So the copy and save as new really matches that. 

Is it a bit annoying? Sure. 

But Minor powers can order the refit version no problem. Clearly the game can handle it. 

• Like 2

I finally gave the full release a go and I'm really enjoying the stability. It is a much better game then the previous betas. That said, I've been jotting down notes as I play. Here's a summary of what I've come up with so far;

QoL Changes

• It would be nice to see the number of each type of ship I have in service on the design page.
  • I'd like to be able to create and save task forces so they're always the same grouping. This could even be extended to allow task forces to assemble from nearby ports like they did in real life. Naming of task forces would also be nice.
  • Wrap around map is sorely needed.
  • A check box on the design page or shipyard to indicate if a particular design is available for sale. Same for ships in mothball status if selling those is ever fixed.
  • On the build request pop up from a minor nation it would be nice to see what my current ship building capacity is.
  • On the reparations screen I'd like to see info on ships/territories when I mouse over then to help me decide.
  • When in battle there should be a verification popup before changing fleet groupings. I keep accidently dragging goups together when just trying to click on them.

Fixes

• AI when running away do this very strange slow turn. The fact that every AI does it every time feels very artificial. Like a constant reminder I'm fighting a computer. In real life a ship would set a course and then maneuver later onto another course, etc.
  • AI ship building is out of control. Most major nations had over 200-300 ships within 10 years. Seems like there's too much money available. 
  • AI still seem to have too much rudder authority at slow speeds when damaged.
  • The battle camera losing focus every time a player ship sinks is annoying.
  • There needs to be some more limitation on task forces. The AI build hundreds of ships and create tons of task forces out of them. There should be some tech limitations here. 
  • AH is still missing its destroyer hull when DD unlocks at 1000 or 1100 tons.

New Features

• I'd like to see a colored map overlay so I can see who owns what territories.
  • Naval treaties would be great, especially to reign in AI spending.
  • Smaller battleship hulls in late game. I'd like to keep building smaller BB's later on, instead of being forced into building super battleships. This would be good for nation's with smaller economies.
  • More hulls of course, especially for USA and AH.
  • Intelligence on enemy ships. I'd like more info on the enemy, so I can know what to design. I like the idea of being able to see the little info card we get on the shipyard screen showing the profile view and the basics of the ship. I'll attach an example from a screenshot I took in an earlier version of the game.siegreiche.jpg.528fc19d0e31511cb46fcd5f5ca80509.jpg
  • Like 9

Playing a US save after the latest patch resurrected it. The endless war thing (peace then immediately back at war the next turn) was there, I think related to alliances. Also are the techs Dreadnought Improvements I and II supposed to do nothing for the US? There's a lot of techs which say new hulls available <?>. I had that with the previous campaign as well.

1 minute ago, Durham Dave said:

Playing a US save after the latest patch resurrected it. The endless war thing (peace then immediately back at war the next turn) was there, I think related to alliances. Also are the techs Dreadnought Improvements I and II supposed to do nothing for the US? There's a lot of techs which say new hulls available <?>. I had that with the previous campaign as well.

Yes, these technologies do not give you anything, because the US has very few dreadnought hulls. And yes, due to the fact that the country does not leave the alliance, there is an endless war.

2 hours ago, Fun Police said:

But Minor powers can order the refit version no problem. Clearly the game can handle it. 

Supporting it was not my point. They "shouldn't" be able to order a refit unless you are refitting a ship they have already. That is the purpose and definition of a refit. 

This is what the Copy button is for. 

Now can the problem with the Copy button be fixed? Right now if you copy a design that doesn't have the latest technology (ex. shell types, propellant, rangefinder), you can't actually equip that design with it. It seems to be locked to that equipment (you can downgrade, but not upgrade). This is annoying, because you almost end up with the same problem...have to build a ship then immediately refit it. 

• Like 1

I can understand that the players are not in full controll of the goverment, but more control over it would be great.

The ship orders from minor nations seem to be a bit excessive - sweden ordering (and having) 7 BBs (4 Major Nations have equal or less bbs). Also suspending orders from minor nations should be possible - especially if they buy 7 BB almost at once.

Also some way to invite minor nations to an alliance and suggest minor nations to be attacked (id like to conquer northern egypt for example but don't know how to initiate a invasion - I don't have any relations stats so I don't see if parking a fleet there does anything)

4 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

More improvements on gameplay!

Hotfix Update v1.1.6 2/2/2023
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1069660/view/3656395358000760208 

Penetration is still bugged using my test custom battle config. 18" HE penetrates or partial pens a thin main belt, but the 18" AP is blocked by the thin main belt 100% of the time. It's a bit late now, but I suspect you would benefit from some automated integration tests. e.g. Run known-to-be-previously-bugged battles with a fixed random seed and the graphics rendering engine turned off and confirm the results are within margin of error.

Edited by anonusername
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Schmitty21 said:

• AI ship building is out of control. Most major nations had over 200-300 ships within 10 years. Seems like there's too much money available. 
  • AI still seem to have too much rudder authority at slow speeds when damaged.
  • There needs to be some more limitation on task forces. The AI build hundreds of ships and create tons of task forces out of them. There should be some tech limitations here. 

Agreed, but the taskforce has a limit actually, but by crew not by ships. So for example it is a 12k crew limit then if the participants are all DDs, CLs and CA, it will be at least 100 ships before the crew limit. I far prefer limit by ships rather than crews.

1 hour ago, Vinrellren said:

Agreed, but the taskforce has a limit actually, but by crew not by ships. So for example it is a 12k crew limit then if the participants are all DDs, CLs and CA, it will be at least 100 ships before the crew limit. I far prefer limit by ships rather than crews.

They'll still build too many task forces in that case. I think it should go beyond solely limiting the task force size.

Sent an in game bug report, but ya something is up after the long range accuracy changes mentioned in the patch. So, main guns don't often fully elevate in this game because standard length or extended barrels have range beyond a ships spotting distance. I on the other hand lower my barrel length to about what my spotting distance will be, and waist no tonnage or reload rate on my ship builds, along with getting much better angled plunging fire as another bonus. Any tiny accuracy malady is effectively erased by moderately trained crew. there's really no down side to short barrel main guns because muzzle velocity doesn't seem to effect damage or even pen rate, and all damage is scaled off the bursting charge, even over pens! Sure they might not pen belt armor as well as higher velocity shells, but why would i want to shoot the most armored part of the ship?

Anyway, the bugs. firing these short barrel guns at near maximum range and thus maximum elevation, sense barrel length changing were introduced, often does not visibly fire a shell, the projectile impacts the gun model or something. Shots calculated to hit instantly explode, cause a fire effect, smoke, and impact sound on your own ship, but the damage is instantly dealt to the target. a minor visual bug for my edge case play style.

The new bug is that the reload animation on these main guns isn't cycling in the UI, but the target ship is taking all these phantom hits at a rate higher than the guns could possible reload. I think i can recall something similar happening with secondary guns at much closer range in the past.

6 hours ago, 21hugoPT said:

Don't know if is a bug or not, but is really wierd. I don't even have semi-oil fuel only coal, so what happen to the remaining  of 2 138 926 barrels?

It's oil per capita: when you look on a province, it's production per population of that province. If that's your only oil province when you look on the politics screen, that same amount of oil is now divided between all your population. I assume per capita is used to represent the other demands on oil your empire may have.

12 hours ago, Lima said:

Yes, these technologies do not give you anything, because the US has very few dreadnought hulls. And yes, due to the fact that the country does not leave the alliance, there is an endless war.

More the fact that Dreadnought III and IV came of the same tech as well. US has it really bad for light cruisers as far as I can tell, which makes getting one up to any kind of speed in WWI era hard.

On My machine penetrations improved drastically on the last patch. It is  not anymore a case of TP beins immune to 15 inch shells.. Made the game playable again for me.

On the campaign..    you really need to tone down the GDP bonus of democracies...  yes they should be more effective, but   US economy  grew 14 TIMES in 20 years of my campaign while  Russia  grew.. 7%. That is  bonkers. USA  and UK have so much money that each one keeps fleets of 80-110 Battleships and another 400 ships each..  thy are fighting a non stop war for 9 years...  every month some 10-16 battleships  go to the bottom (and plus some 100 DD and TP )and they can keep up the production. That is absurd not even 1945 level USA economy should be able to handle that.

4 hours ago, Durham Dave said:

It's oil per capita: when you look on a province, it's production per population of that province. If that's your only oil province when you look on the politics screen, that same amount of oil is now divided between all your population. I assume per capita is used to represent the other demands on oil your empire may have.

Sound legit, thanks ;)

9 hours ago, Schmitty21 said:

They'll still build too many task forces in that case. I think it should go beyond solely limiting the task force size.

They should probably switch to something like Stellaris. Where you have naval capacity where each ship consumes some of it. Then tech to improve it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, madham82 said:

They should probably switch to something like Stellaris. Where you have naval capacity where each ship consumes some of it. Then tech to improve it. 

Your naval capacity should already be in the game, but it's not listed as a single factor. It's a combination of fuel availability, crew pool, dock-space, and funding for ship maintenance and repairs and paying the crews.
The issue is that the navies that we should be able to make are far too large for the game to handle. The engine itself can't hold up, I think.

Remember that, at her height in 1945, the USN had 99 aircraft carriers, 8 fast battleships, and 10 prewar battleship, along with ~1,100 other combat ships of over 1,000 tons displacement.

The British had 1,400 combat ships in 1939.

2 hours ago, Urst said:

Your naval capacity should already be in the game, but it's not listed as a single factor. It's a combination of fuel availability, crew pool, dock-space, and funding for ship maintenance and repairs and paying the crews.
The issue is that the navies that we should be able to make are far too large for the game to handle. The engine itself can't hold up, I think.

Remember that, at her height in 1945, the USN had 99 aircraft carriers, 8 fast battleships, and 10 prewar battleship, along with ~1,100 other combat ships of over 1,000 tons displacement.

The British had 1,400 combat ships in 1939.

yes but right now they can produce that per year in 1920... that is  way out of hand.