Game-Labs Forum

>>>Beta v1.1 Feedback<<< [RC 6]

Nick Thomadis

26 minutes ago, AdmiralKirk said:

I understand why the devs don't want UAD to feature-bloat its way into being a Paradox-style 4X, but I think it would be sufficient for player agency purposes if your role was as a sort of supreme military commander with direct control over the details of navy logistics, and authority (but not direct control) over the rest of the armed forces. So you can choose when and from where you invade—which you can already do using the Naval Invasion option; that's clearly a combined army/navy operation—but you don't need to manage production of infantry equipment, recruitment of army personnel, control over particular divisions, etc. That stuff is fine to remain abstracted and AI-managed. Just having a big arrow from one province to another is totally sufficient for this game—all I would want is the ability to draw that arrow myself.

In general I respect the desire to limit this game's scope to naval operations—indeed, that's why I like this game: I can't be bothered to learn all the ridiculous minutiae that's required to be competent at something like Europa Universalis. But I think this approach results in a frustrating lack of agency in some places, and while the devs are of course free to create the game experience they think is best, I would personally err on the side of greater player control rather than less.

The point where I feel that is that we cannot invade minors or uncontrolled territory. If we could influence invasiosn into those areas would be enough for me.

• Like 3

Regarding "Army logistics" and "Navy power rating" parameters.

It would be very cool @Nick Thomadis explained the exact formula of how these parameters are calculated and work. So far I have to proceed from assumptions. However, even acting on the basis of assumptions, I think that the following situation is not right.

In short, both of these parameters are increased by ships under construction. The ship is just a piece of metal, but already helps your soldiers and the strength of your fleet.

• Like 1

The Logistics factor greatly affects the efficiency of the armies and is dependent on the transport capacity and naval power of the nation. When a nation loses its naval power, then its land armies become significantly weaker

In my 1930 campaign, the US had 2 BC from the start, "Navy power rating" was 18%. Then they built two more BCs. During the war with Japan, they lost all these ships. All the time their logistics was 100%. All Japanese landings in Hawaii failed.

so this is weird....

I have a CA design (I haven't tried this with any other designs yet) and I was looking at it and going to copy it to use as a basis for a new design...

right up to the max weight...

image.thumb.png.d959cb1ee80b27eec0e15ef5d157f502.png

Then I hit copy and apparently they have coded in a weight watchers formula as I have shed 20% of my weight and cost and got an increase in range.  I went line by line and I can't seem to find where the copy missed something.  So one of two things....a copy isn't a copy or a copy and it looses a bunch of weight.  Either way, something isn't right.

image.thumb.png.a2714d0b2ca37fc4df1ff488a2d2b1d4.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Lima said:

Regarding "Army logistics" and "Navy power rating" parameters.

It would be very cool @Nick Thomadis explained the exact formula of how these parameters are calculated and work. So far I have to proceed from assumptions. However, even acting on the basis of assumptions, I think that the following situation is not right.

In short, both of these parameters are increased by ships under construction. The ship is just a piece of metal, but already helps your soldiers and the strength of your fleet.

I have wondered the same.  in my campaign, the US has about 10-15 ships but yet the weight of their navy is over 1,000,000 tons...oh and like 28,000 personnel.  They have something like 60 under construction though.  It must be those gazzilion ships under construction it is counting, which is totally misleading.  Perhaps it is a programmed feature of the communist government....completely misleading and inaccurate figures.  

7 minutes ago, applegrcoug said:

so this is weird....

I have a CA design (I haven't tried this with any other designs yet) and I was looking at it and going to copy it to use as a basis for a new design...

right up to the max weight...

image.thumb.png.d959cb1ee80b27eec0e15ef5d157f502.png

Then I hit copy and apparently they have coded in a weight watchers formula as I have shed 20% of my weight and cost and got an increase in range.  I went line by line and I can't seem to find where the copy missed something.  So one of two things....a copy isn't a copy or a copy and it looses a bunch of weight.  Either way, something isn't right.

image.thumb.png.a2714d0b2ca37fc4df1ff488a2d2b1d4.png

This is only a possibility. I have no idea if is the case or not. I am just guessing here.

The moment you hit copy, will apply all the benefits from the technologies researched since the time of the original design was made to the current, present time. A similar thing should happen if you choose the option to refit.

Still, 20% is a big difference, so maybe I am wrong and is a bug.

• Like 2

Okay, I've been seeing a lot of ships having their journeys interrupted and forced into random harbours. I was moving some CLs from Australia to East Africa / Persian Gulf, but for some reason at the end of turn they were forced into random ports near/on their route.

Similarly, in a current war with Germany, I sailed a few different fleets out, only for them to be scattered to seemingly every single port in Ireland/Wales after taking neglible damage. Worst still, it split my neatly organised units apart which will take ages to re-sort once the Germans have been suitably stomped (and I secure Northern France off of them, assuming I can ever keep enough ships at the invasion point).

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, AdmiralBert said:

Okay, I've been seeing a lot of ships having their journeys interrupted and forced into random harbours. I was moving some CLs from Australia to East Africa / Persian Gulf, but for some reason at the end of turn they were forced into random ports near/on their route.

Similarly, in a current war with Germany, I sailed a few different fleets out, only for them to be scattered to seemingly every single port in Ireland/Wales after taking neglible damage. Worst still, it split my neatly organised units apart which will take ages to re-sort once the Germans have been suitably stomped (and I secure Northern France off of them, assuming I can ever keep enough ships at the invasion point).

yup. This little nuisance is keeping me from playing until it's sorted 

*RC 3*
- Fixed bug causing ships to be sent in random ports after a battle.
- Fixed bug happened when you started a new campaign that caused options to change when you pressed the 'settings' button.
- Fixed bug resetting Transport Capacity slider when it was maximized at 200%.
- Other minor issues fixed.
- Increased the importance of ASW in the defense against submarines.
- Initial auto-generated fleets are better balanced according to the campaign's start year.

Please note: There is a very important bug that we need to fix for the campaign which exists also in v1.09.3 version. Ships are not stored accurately in weights, so they can cause invalid designs. We will try to fix this tomorrow.

PLEASE RESTART STEAM TO DOWNLOAD

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

*RC 3*
- Fixed bug happened when you started a new campaign that caused options to change when you pressed the 'settings' button.
- Initial auto-generated fleets are better balanced according to the campaign's start year.

Please note: There is a very important bug that we need to fix for the campaign which exists also in v1.09.3 version. Ships are not stored accurately in weights, so they can cause invalid designs. We will try to fix this tomorrow.

As much as you can, even if it's a 0.01 difference in a file somehwhere, at least just a short mention of what was "tweaked" or "fixed"

I am not loosing my sleep over it, but it would be awesome. Thanks for the dedication from you and all the patches and fixes being done in the late hours of the days

8 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

*RC 3*

Good job!

I tested a lot of sutuations (RC1-RC3) and the RNG damage bug (as well as the VP bug) was cured.

This is a HUGE positive change. This bug is worth a separate mention in the message. So we can all rejoice at its disappearance. This is what I've been waiting for for a very long time. A hell of a lot of messages about this bug.

Rest in peace, RNG damage bug.

• Like 7

Regarding the calculation of ships under construction.

I'm a little tired of my army's attacks on Serbia, so the example is for the USSR.

S1.jpg

I started building six BCs and suspend it. As you can see, even frozen ships, which are nothing more than a imagination, affect the parameters.

S2.jpg

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Lima said:

I tested a lot of sutuations (RC1-RC3) and the RNG damage bug (as well as the VP bug) was cured.

This is a HUGE positive change. This bug is worth a separate mention in the message. So we can all rejoice at its disappearance. This is what I've been waiting for for a very long time. A hell of a lot of messages about this bug.

Rest in peace, RNG damage bug.

I hope so, had a BB that got down to about 75% structural in mission, checked on it back in dock and it showed 99% damaged needing 12 months to repair. The yard space is so incredibly limited that this happening over and over totally paralyzes your navy and further ship building efforts, and loses you all minor allies when you can't possibly fill any orders.

3 hours ago, o Barão said:

This is only a possibility. I have no idea if is the case or not. I am just guessing here.

The moment you hit copy, will apply all the benefits from the technologies researched since the time of the original design was made to the current, present time. A similar thing should happen if you choose the option to refit.

Still, 20% is a big difference, so maybe I am wrong and is a bug.

I don't think so.  I tried to start a new design with the upgrades and it was going right up to weight like it should.  

Hopefully someone else can look and see what it does for them.

I didn't report it but this same thing happened to me. I designed a battleship, and then about a year later I decided to make a new variant of it with some better techs. When I used the Copy function in Constructor, the new design weighed in at 75% of the old design's displacement. After I finalized the new design, the build menu showed it as coming in at well over my maximum tonnage and costing way more than planned. I wasn't able to build it because it was overweight. I deleted the design and returned to Constructor, then built roughly the same ship from the empty hull up—this one behaved normally and my available displacement was much more sensible.

Penetration mechanics are broken.

1. Citadel layering apparently applies to unarmored portions of the ship outside the citadel.

2. Penetration overflow means guns that are too good do no damage even (especially) at point blank range.

3. Resistance stacking means you can become nearly immune to enemy fire.

4. Deck hits are extremely common at point blank range, especially when the enemy has rolled towards you. These magically deflect enemy fire.

Please watch this video, acknowledge the issues, and fix them before releasing 1.10.

These issues have been present for a very long time.

Edited by neph
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1