Game-Labs Forum

>>> Beta 1.09 Feedback (Released)<<<

Nick Thomadis

I know we've been over this before, but I feel that the minefield mechanic might need a bit more tuning, especially in the Straights of Tsushima, and other confined waterways, like the Red Sea. I've had 8 minelaying CL's deployed to Sasebo for the past 6 years, and they've been able to go about their business unmolested, causing heavy damage to any fleet passing through the straights, regardless of size or composition. The AI doesn't seem to have much if anything in the way of minesweeping at the moment, so this lone DD is all that's left of a much larger unit that was disabled by the minefield.
B5G2suf.jpg
A much, MUCH larger unit, in fact.
7Nnef6Q.jpg
The AI Ran Their Entire Fleet Through a Minefield, killing the mobility of the vast majority of their ships. With so many ships sitting around with disabled engines and low fuel, sending in 12 BC's to mop up a force 5 times their size was child's play, as I didn't need to engage anymore than a handful of enemy ships at a time. 
No fleet commander, upon seeing their vanguard take hits by a previously undetected minefield, should order his ships to sail straight through said minefield, consequences be damned. And perhaps they should bring someone who can sweep mines next time? 

• Like 3

Bug/Exploit.

No save refit bypass.

You can overweight a refit design and still have it listed in ship designs for refitting.

Steps...

Refit a ship as per normal, add extra armor etc., overweight the design, do not save design (it won't work anyway), just click exit (do not use escape to leave shipyard)...

iPDpxKW.png

Click no to discard unsaved designs...

nn4sxhq.png

Refitted design will now list in ship designs, you can now refit any of those overweight ships, as I have done :) - to test of cause. 

e3qy7Sc.png

My current campaign CL limit is 11500t.

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SodaBit said:

I know we've been over this before, but I feel that the minefield mechanic might need a bit more tuning, especially in the Straights of Tsushima, and other confined waterways, like the Red Sea. I've had 8 minelaying CL's deployed to Sasebo for the past 6 years, and they've been able to go about their business unmolested, causing heavy damage to any fleet passing through the straights, regardless of size or composition. The AI doesn't seem to have much if anything in the way of minesweeping at the moment, so this lone DD is all that's left of a much larger unit that was disabled by the minefield.
B5G2suf.jpg
A much, MUCH larger unit, in fact.
7Nnef6Q.jpg
The AI Ran Their Entire Fleet Through a Minefield, killing the mobility of the vast majority of their ships. With so many ships sitting around with disabled engines and low fuel, sending in 12 BC's to mop up a force 5 times their size was child's play, as I didn't need to engage anymore than a handful of enemy ships at a time. 
No fleet commander, upon seeing their vanguard take hits by a previously undetected minefield, should order his ships to sail straight through said minefield, consequences be damned. And perhaps they should bring someone who can sweep mines next time? 

When we approach a minefield, our ships attack as if mines weren't there - admiral Zhukov, probably.

Edited by Lima
  • Like 4

I did play the RC 1, some things I noticed (in no particular order).

The bug with the wrong campaign created is gone, at least in the 1 instance I tested this while deleting a previous save and puttign the new campaign in its place.

____

I had the enemy engage in the majority of the battles, but also had some weird running away still. Like they would engage in more favourable (for me) terms, and run away in i. e. convoy defences they had the advantage, leaving their TRs to die.

_______

I had at least once the bug with the main turrets refusing to fire, telling them to cease and then switching them to aggressive fixit this. It was the 8,9 " magical gun on a 1890s CA.

In general guns feel much better now (dont know since when this is the case since in the majority of the previous versions it didnt really get to the point of firing guns at each other ...). When now looking at damage results all guns I have mounted reaping a toll with the 12 " and 8 " being the one causing crippling pen damage and the 2,9 " magical being devastating against TBs and with AP CLs. Even the light cruiser, yes, the most shitty useless ships in the game if its the hull with mass 4 " (or higher) became useful. They still cant hit at longer ranges (an I mean that by 1890s standard) at all, but within that, they are lethal. I had them rip apart anthing from TBs to CAs and even BB get overwhelmed and burned down thanks to nose fuse and gun cotton.

Hits and penetration also seem ok, at least not blatently broken as in the past to get me to give a closer look for issues.

_______

The problem with doom stacks still persists. The enemy has over 100 ships, but 90 of them sitting right here. And is been like that for the majority of the war. Not only does it preclude normal missions involving these ship to be generated, it also causes huge issues with VP. A few transports sunks during the end turns (even if you are at or close to 200 % capacity)  is easily worth more VPs than this entire fleet. Even more than a fleet and a huge number of transports sunk in convoy battles.  This also causes massive unrest problems. I ended up with a couple 100s VPs from actual battles (against them and the russians) vs their ~3500 from transports.

Ultimate-Admiral-Dreadnoughts-2022-10-27

So in order to avoid collapse from unrest (~50 even with events pickings to lower it), I had to assemble the combined fleet and ....... yeah, the "usual".  Odd tough, even though I attacked the stack that has been sitting ther for forever I only had to fight a portion. Maybe "fairness" on the side of the battle generator?

Graphics card wise this could run around 50 fps and CPU wise at least 20 + should be possible, but the enginge itself is croaking and thetering on single digits. And this is a small battles as the TBs were omitted and I didnt build any (yet). This game LOVES to force you into 200 ship battles with single digit frames .........

Its not that it cant be done, its just that I really dont want to .......

So with this, and another similar battle against their horde of TB the chinese fleet is mostly wiped out to sub 20 ships, and yet, thats not enough to egalize the VPs! but since now sinking transports goes in my favour I am gaining passivly more VPs than any I could with fleet actions.  Award amound from tranports need to be seriously revamped.

Noticed the AI just stops in open water, no damage, plenty of fuel. It seems to be caused by sinking or damaging the lead ship of a division. While not abandoning a ship is understandable (and its hard to make the AI understand when its best to sacrifice a ship instead of x), I had this occacion where I really provoked it to proove: Enemy CA sat dead in the water. Its friends slow down, CA sinks, they still barely move until the 2nd CA sits right next to the sinking ship. Rinse and repeat and we now have 3 sinkers sandwich. This combined with all sorts of issues caused by divisions and auto avoid the AI uses (I turn that off and dissolve all divisions immediatily) makes the often sit dead or nearly dead in the water for no reason.

I had multiple instances of turns just taking long (missions, building) and olso crashes (agains missions, builiding). So far I have been able to continue every time. Thing is, the campaign isnt even 3 years old.

Ultimate-Admiral-Dreadnoughts-2022-10-28

On the same picture, destroying that doomstack really invigorating battle generation once again. I really want to implore fixing task forces (a limit on tonnage/ships seems reasonable tied to techs in maneuver and communications). The game has potential but just like the enemy running away, it is important that things to work beyond a certain treshhold for it to be actually fun enough to be playable.

I have to read the previous page again how mines are supposed to work. So far I havent had any field deployed or encountered them, but I do have CLs with mine laying and I keep them as port defence there, but they do naturally get draged into generated battles ocassionally.

I had a list of missions generated. I sank a Russian BB during the first of those missions, now that undead ship is showing up in my second fight. (See image, the only opponent is a ship that just sank this turn.) 

Entering the battle causes the sunk ship to surrender with high casualties immediately. (Also I noticed my own CL was also sunk.) This isn't just annoying, I got VP for sinking the ship again and presumably caused crew losses again?

Edit 2:

My next battle was a convoy battle vs. a single sunk CA, which made the mission instantly end with no chance to sink the convoy, though I did get some VP for the CA again.

Ghost Ships.png

Edited by CapitanIncognito
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Beta Update "Repair Pack 1" (28/10/2022)

- Fixed various problems that could cause crashes or freezes during campaign gameplay. The fixes are not final. More will arrive today.

Please restart Steam to receive the update.

does this work retroactively on bugged saves? i have a game in progress id love to continue but its currently stalled due to the end of turn bug. will this fix it or do i need to start a new save?

6 minutes ago, Toby said:

does this work retroactively on bugged saves? i have a game in progress id love to continue but its currently stalled due to the end of turn bug. will this fix it or do i need to start a new save?

You can try to continue it. If the related bug that stalled your campaign belongs to those fixed, then the campaign should work.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Käptn_Flitschauge said:

Pleas dial back down the constant world wars, it's really boring after a while

Agreed, it’s kinda like “We’re losing pretty bad and our economy is in ruins, but we’ll be back in 6 months.”

To be honest I think the issue is how easily other nations will give up.

6 hours ago, Skeksis said:

Bug/Exploit.

No save refit bypass.

You can overweight a refit design and still have it listed in ship designs for refitting.

Steps...

Refit a ship as per normal, add extra armor etc., overweight the design, do not save design (it won't work anyway), just click exit (do not use escape to leave shipyard)...

iPDpxKW.png

Click no to discard unsaved designs...

nn4sxhq.png

Refitted design will now list in ship designs, you can now refit any of those overweight ships, as I have done :) - to test of cause. 

e3qy7Sc.png

My current campaign CL limit is 11500t.

When you select to NOT discard the design, it means the design is going to be saved :) So there is an expected functionality here.

• Like 1

I am very frustrated.  Playing a 1920 British campaign.  By the end of 1923, I have been in a war with Austria, Russia and Japan, who are also at war with each other for a year and a half. I have had 4 fights.  1 with Russia was decent size, 2 more that were 1v1 cruisers and 1 fight with Japan.  Japan was 2 of their CAs with 1 of mine.  Theirs were nearly dead since I have 4 minelaying subs at both ends of the Red Sea.  In v1.08, I would have had many more fights by this time.

I am also getting many game freezes.  I am not able to progress past Jan 2024.  I have had to restart the game several times, even after letting the game sit for over an hour.  It really isn't worth the effort to start it up at this point.  

Repair pack 1 - started US campaign. Progressing nicely, until 2 years into the campaign where it is not not responding at Update Missions. 2 months in a row now.

edit - this problem cleared up after those two months above, and has now run clean through 2.5 years including war.

Edited by Admiral Donuts

5 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

When you select to NOT discard the design, it means the design is going to be saved :) So there is an expected functionality here.

No, is not an expected functionality, you're completely missing the point. What he is saying is that the "Not Discard" function can be exploited to save and use desings that would be otherwise unusable, thus allowing you for example to simply ignore weight or shipyaerd size restrictions, as you can simply build a ship, then make it massively overweight by using that trick. Which should not happen at all.

Edited by The PC Collector
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The PC Collector said:

No, is not an expected functionality, you're completely missing the point. What he is saying is that the "Not Discard" function can be exploited to save and use desings that would be otherwise unusable, thus allowing you for example to simply ignore weight or shipyaerd size restrictions, as you can simply build a ship, then make it massively overweight by using that trick. Which should not happen at all.

I'm alittle surprised too, every single ship can become super augmented and wipe out the AI.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The PC Collector said:

I see, invalid designs should not happen like this, it is not how it is supposed to work, we will fix, thank you.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Skeksis said:

I'm alittle surprised too, every single ship can become super augmented and wipe out the AI.

While I agree I think we have to also acknowledge that is kind of an exploit, so at least not game breaking.

As an explanation:

Cheat: Self explanatory, no hardship or knowledge required as in give me x money.

Exploit: Something you are not supposed to do, but you can and it benefits you and the game lets you. Requires knowledge and/or at least some input. The above probably.

Gamecheese: Interacting with the game in a intended way but also to a degree that has unintended outcome. Like magical guns + fairy dust. You have to know about it, you have to apply it and probably consider a few things, also has potentially drawbacks.

Also quick question: The AI does sometimes engage even outmatched, and sometimes it still runs like a bitch even having an advantage. Clearly there a change from running all the time like a bitch and I wondering if it possible to determin when the AI will fight to not waste time on the AI just running away.

I have still not deciphered a reason. I thought I had one with the weather and the AI taking hit % into consideration doing its wargames but no, cant be it. It seems to just be a diceroll and around 50 % of the time or so it engages with ofc streaks that can swing either way.

Can you help me there and shine a light into the matter?

Bizarrely, the lockups during "building ships" don't happen if I alt-tab during the turn processing. Without alt-tabbing, I get unavoidable lockups about 30% of the time after a few wars get started. If I alt-tab during "updating missions" and wait for it to finish processing the missions before tabbing back, the "building ships" phase completes in under a minute. I think there is some weird interaction between the war simulation and ship building which causes an infinite loop.

Also, I had a campaign ended because I got stuck with 20 million a month fuel cost despite all ships being docked at 100% fuel. I had deployed my entire fleet, but recalled it once the cost of fuel became apparent. However, the cost never went back down even once all my ships were refueled and back to "In Being".

Finally, is there a good way to get into a war as the US? Even when I put my entire fleet off the coast of Cuba I got 0 relation shift with Spain, and even if there had been some effect the fuel cost would have been absurd.

Edited by anonusername
More input

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

An issue I have with the beta that I don’t have with the stable version is ships following in a line/in a unit won’t adjust their speed to the leader’s so they just end up crashing into the front ship 🤔

Then you have been lucky.   Most of that SEEMS to have been fixed in the past couple releases but my not finished document on the roles these ships are not doing correctly (screen, Scout) etc   will point out a bunch of problems... sadly RL is keeping me from putting it together ATM