Game-Labs Forum

>>> Beta 1.06 Feedback<<< (FINAL UPDATE 6th Release Candidate)

It seems that peacing out from individual states in a multi-party war results in getting spammed with "Do you want war with (X nation that you peaced out earlier)" and as a result the game adds your flag to the VS part perpetually every time you decline going to war with that same nation again.

1816555317_UADBug.thumb.png.499826c5349262095c6fdfc072de2275.png

Just lost a campaign due to the VP bug on a completely vanilla Steam install. This is ridiculous. It seems to be the French and whomever they're allied with. Most bugs so far haven't made the game unplayable but this is a little bit hard to get around.

So, it would be necessary to insert your own word. At its core, the game is great. I haven't spent so many hours playing games in a long time. But there are some things I would like to change.

Guns. Basic long-range accuracy is abysmal, especially on ships with less than CA. Personally, for me, increasing the length of the guns to the maximum did not give a significant increase in accuracy, maybe I'm doing something wrong. Somehow it turns out that my most accurate guns are 305 mm at any stage of the game. And as the caliber grows further, the accuracy decreases VERY STRONGLY, down to 11% at 1000m at 508mm. This fact, as it was, remains from fix 1 to fix 8 today.

Turrets. Why are quad guns FOR ALL calibers unavailable if I have this technology unlocked? I am ready to sacrifice mass, speed and other parameters for the sake of really BIG guns. But now these are only available with 381mm. Not to mention small calibers.

Cannon length. This is one of my favorite innovations. And I would like to increase the length not by percentage, but by the number of calibers, it would be more correct, and also increase the limit to at least 80-90 calibers. Yes, the gun will be heavier, but these are already MY problems as a designer. Whether people want to do it or not, it will be their choice. The main thing is to give people such an opportunity, it would even be nice to increase the barrel length limit with technologies. At the same time, accordingly, increase the accuracy bonus for a long distance more than now, WITHOUT A SIGNIFICANT increase in the size of the towers. Also, I would make bonuses for short guns, for example in the form of a much faster reload.

Barbets. I would like to make it possible to adjust the height. For example, so that you can make turrets in 3 tiers.

Edited by Max Sin
  • Like 1

I would like to see a "normalizing" pass done to all weapons.

As an example I took a 8.8cm Mk1 Gun

Casemate (0% Length) vs Secondary (+20% length).

Both are 8.8cm L/38 yet have different pen, range and muzzle velocity. Reload Rate for example can be justified by different construction etc but one would assume they take the same ammo for both guns (shell weight is the same).

image.thumb.png.f439eacfed7b2c4dfe988a97d56ca341.png

• Like 3

Update 8 campaing report.

Started as Austria-Hungary, I immediately sent fleet to generate tension with France. They removed fleet from the Mediterranean, so I went to the Atlantic. In the first two clashes, French fleet was destroyed. They offered peace but on the next turn "war continues". While my fleet returned to the Atlantic to fight Britain, Germany declared war on my opponents, we made an alliance.

And here a strange thing happened - my VP was reset and I had to declare war on France once again.

While I was destroying British fleet, French sent raiders into the Mediterranean and ended up at war with Italy. I didn't want to accept them into the alliance so that I could fight them later, but in the end I accepted them to avoid bugs.

After a series of defeats, Britain offered peace. I made backup copy of the save and did some tests. In 5 cases out of 8, "war continues",  In 3 cases, apparently we made peace, but no peace agreement screen appeared. Every turn I am offered to go to war with them (apparently because of the alliance). There were no more battles with British ships, but they also were not too active before.

It was not easy to get points in the war with France, because they had very few ships, the war dragged on for a year. At this time, my amazing allies were beaten several times by remnants of the British fleet. But in the end, French agreed to peace, I asked for one CA and Tunisia. I got Tunisia, the ship was not given. Also, I still continue the blockade of France, despite the peace.2022-06-09_17-32-27.thumb.png.b823c6841fcc3c4c68c27ba6c657eb08.png

So, it was one of my best campaigns. There was no bug with the assignment of VP to the opponent, the reset of VP is unpleasant but not critical. Also AI made really decent ships, it was not easy to fight with them.

And an addition to the posts about ghost ships. I assume that these BBs are mothballed ships, Britan has very few crew. However, in total they have as many as 9 battleships in ports. That's a lot.

987074062_2222.PNG.36cc87827affe40640d85a73fea83fa7.PNG

Edited by Lima

19 minutes ago, slightlytreasonous said:

Possibly due to differences in technology?

I do not think so. I ran out of space for screenshots, but in general, the CL I received has a typical French baguette hull. Okay, I'll make space...

These are the terms of the peace agreement2022-06-09_17-31-51.thumb.png.c33e1a5ea036c7d0d558f274460993b1.png2022-06-09_17-32-04.thumb.png.be366d71593fbf0f2da969ad33ccbc17.png

And this is what they sent me

2022-06-09_19-03-35.thumb.png.0c375d753bd5aa4c611e35b13596cc6f.png

I can't refit it, so it doesn't matter what they sent me. But in general it's cool.

Edited by Lima
  • Like 2

The variable citadel is really nice. The arbitrary restrictions on some of the hulls have unfortunately not caught up.

For instance. I want the #2 barbette just in front of the tower. It would work well for an all-forward Nelson inspired design with four turrets and a short citadel.

Why won't the game let me just put it there?

https://imgur.com/3mH6JJShttps://imgur.com/3mH6JJS3mH6JJS.jpg

• Like 1

I can't move ships to my brand new ports (It says "Сattaro", but I clicked on Bizerte). Also, I can't choose them as a home port for a new ship. I think they just don't fully feel part of our great empire yet...

1192136474_1.PNG.581496e00c34f065352036c45ffbab61.PNG

546312334_12.PNG.302c4e62dc111c7c3af8282d798e0841.PNG

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Aloeus said:

Does AH not get a destroyer hull for a long time, or is this a bug? (And no, I can't build a DD either). 

image.thumb.png.c80cbce7fe7e8762def47927ad4996ed.png

The so-called "Large Torpedo Boat" is actually a destroyer in every way except the label put on them.

You'll see they use the currently unlocked DD displacement, weaponry and have smoke generators like any "actual" DD.

The Austrians just kept using the original name a while longer when everyone else switched to torpedo boat destroyer, which later got shortened to just destroyer.
That being said, the Austro-Hungarians do seem to have fewer hulls than most other factions. They also go from BB1 straight to Dreadnought 1.

Edited by Norbert Sattler
  • Like 1

So, this is the limit. By 1931, France and Britain had ceased to exist. There is only peace and prosperity ahead, I think...In addition, the ports I captured have also become neutral, it seems they still feel part of France.

2022-06-09_22-06-20.png

Снимок1112.PNG

• Like 2

I don't have pictures for this one, but I have reason to believe that during the 1890 and 1900's start the crew training expenses growth actually outstrips the economic GDP and budgetary growth, at least when both crew training and transport capacity is set to max growth, for both the players and lower difficulty AI. This might also be what's leading the AI to consistently mothball/scrap more and more ships each month even when at war for the past two hotfixes during the early start dates.

When crew training is set to 100% you are of course constantly adding the maximum number of troops each month to the crew pool, in addition to paying them and the existing crews the maximum expenditure and in return you gain veteran crews for your ships. However, I don't think this is properly managed by the AI during the early start dates, as the ships constructed don't actually use enough crew to put an appreciable dent in a nations crew pool unless you spam out 20 battleships, which has its own budgetary problems. This in turn leads to an ever expanding crew pool and training expenses, which (at least for 100% crew budget) outstrips the nation's GDP growth. But because having Veteran crews is so critical to performance in wars, both players and AI will merrily leave the crew training at maximum during the peace and war years, leading to them recruiting so many excess sailors/crewmen that it outstrips even their maximum budgetary growth for the 1890/1900 starts. This in turn leads to AI and players having to defund everything else because veteran crews are just that critical to the game, creating a horrible feedback loop where your expenses just keep growing, but you cant afford to cut the thing that's causing the ever growing expenses, either by building new ships because that's also too expensive or by cutting crew training because veteran crews are so utterly necessary. And while I don't know what the AI decides on, I think it seems reasonable from current campaign results to say that it prioritises maximum crew training as thing to keep, just like players, leading it to run out of money even when it has no active ships, nor is it blockaded.

Comparatively, I set my crew training to 20%, 30%, 50%, hell even 70% and I don't end up having my crew expenses outstrip my budget growth during the peace years like some people have reported happening, even if they didn't identify it as what's happening.

As a solution, I'd like to propose what seems a simple (but probably isn't, I'm aware of how these things tend to be) rework for the crew pool and training as a focus for a future hotfix. A few things under it but the key part is this: The separation of crew recruitment from crew training expenditure. Currently these things are married, meaning that in order to maintain veteran level crews you also have to recruit a few hundred people each month who will also take the same salary as the veteran crewmen even if they are just sitting on the land doing jack all at the time. Some other issues that could be looked into is the dev hinted at feature of linking crew pool recruitment to province populations and GDP and also the fact that quite honestly the crew pool in it's current form is just utterly useless and has been for a long time. I would have thought somebody else has said this by now but uh, for the longest time we've been able to build ships that use up more crew than we have available in the pool, have zero remaining for assignment so any extra ships built that turn are auto-mothballed. And then we'd just go into the ship view menu, click on set crew, put the slider up to maximum and all of sudden this fleet do battleships we were missing several thousand people to crew is working just fine with the, I don't know, spirits I guess? that we staffed them with out of nowhere.

TLDR, Crew Pool and AI + player handling thereof needs a rework.

2 minutes ago, Iuvenalis said:

How do you actually take over ports?

Post with screenshots is not far above. You can get provinces based on the results of the peace agreement, they don't give much (at all), but it's nice...

• Like 1

The latest update seems to have massively buffed economic GDP growth per month (at least when the growth is relatively healthy). I think it has had a side-effect of making the artificial GDP caps really obvious. I had a campaign with Germany, Britain and France all capped out at $12.5Bn in an 1890 start and they reach it quite easily. I think it would be great to see this go up in some way, maybe the cap could raise 10% every 5 years or something to help with early-starts affording later ship designs. At 10% every 5 years, you would be slightly over double the original cap when you reach 1940 if you started in 1890, resting at around $30Bn. 

Edited by Traslo
  • Like 1

I've started a 1910 Italy campaign with the latest version. After about a year I was at war Austria-Hungary and Germany. My superior Battlecruisers wiped out half the A-H fleet (4 BB, 4 CA, 5 CL, 5 DD) in the 2nd battle of the war. This gave me 30000 VP and they immediately sued for peace. I did not get a peace screen where you can demand ships or provinces.

I also noticed that "Building Ships" part of the end of turn now sometimes takes very long (up to 2 min) though is happens quite rarely (had it in 3 of the 25 turns played so far).

Edited by Gibbel
Typo