Game-Labs Forum

>>>Beta 1.05 Available!<<< (Update: 5)

Nick Thomadis

5 hours ago, Dave P. said:

I stumbled across Drachinifel's video on battle line tactics, and surprised to learn that ships in a line typically engaged each other individually so that no enemy ship was left without something to worry about. I've noticed that the AI here doesn't do that - at the very least, opposing AI divisions will focus-fire on a single target, even when they're outnumbered. (That's how I've been playing strategy games since forever, so I assume it's more effective?) Is there any intention to make the AI's tactics more "correct" and/or balancing the game in a way that incentivizes more historically accurate tactics? Or do we just know better now?

I've also noticed that if a ship starts to sink in the middle of a large salvo, the remaining turrets will immediately switch to a different (closest) target (there's no delay for them to rotate or reacquire range/aim) and they _seem_ to be firing without an accuracy penalty at the new target. I've even gotten a couple double-kills this way. (Destroyers are... not suitable for tanking 18" HE shells.) I'm assuming this is unintended?

That  is something that is counter intuitive for us nowadays because of video game. We start to believe in the myth of the focus fire. it exists because in video game there is a HP pool and the enemy unit is effective until it is dead. Real world warfare does not work like that. When a platoon of tanks engage another platoon they do NOT focus fire, because a single penetration is a mission kill. To focus fire is dumb

Ships are in the middle ground, you need more shots to disable them but  to keep all ships udner heavy fire also reduce their effectiveness while it keeps the exact same chance that one projectile on the current fleet salvo will penetrate a target.

For a game to be super realistic on that we would need  a system more based on the operation of each mechanism on the ship being intact or not (as if the crew on that position if alive or not) and not much of a structure health bar.

Now the Italians are getting Germany's VP (1940 German Campaign)  Also noticed that when I refitted my ships what's in the ship component window in battle is not what the ships fitted with (And at least Radar isn't working even though the ships are equipped in Drydock)

On 3/19/2022 at 2:07 PM, Dave P. said:

So... I hit this enemy battleship with two hits early on at long range, before it popped back out of visibility. When I get closer and see it again, it's flooding... and flooding... and flooding. Never received any more hits, but it sank.

It looks like I somehow killed its entire crew? Or does the AI making a 23k ton Battleship in 1920 randomly leave out watertight bulkheads? Dunno if it's a bug, but it seems a bit odd...

20220319125517_1.jpg

20220319125517_2.jpg

20220319125546_1.jpg

20220319125558_1.jpg

20220319125604_1.jpg

21 hours ago, Andvarus said:

this is called 'Few Bulkheads', a ship with few Bulkheads that has been breached is going to sink with 90% now thanks to the new flooding Mechanics. 

TBH, I love it :)

I believe that the issue here is first, as was stated, that they are using minimal bulkheads, but more importantly, the AI seems to almost never reduce speed after a flooding hit. It's like they stay at flank speed trying to keep formation, but they are just pushing water into the hull and going full speed ahead (as much as the drag from ever-increasing flooding allows) until they sink. I've sunk CA's in this build with a single 4 in hit, just one. If I take flooding hits, I always try to manually reduce speed to facilitate pumping and closing the hull breaches.

Edited by Littorio
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Fangoriously said:

Also In real life, If ships all focus fire 1 ship, they wouldn't get any feedback on how accurate their own gunnery was umong all the splashes. In game, there should be terrible accuracy penalties if ships are simultaneously sending salvos at the same target.

Also, there should be accuracy/reload/etc debuffs if you're getting shot at. Interestingly enough, the crew system we've got would play nicely into that: all the benefits trained crew provide are decreased when you're under fire. Probably less so the more trained the crew is...

8 hours ago, o Barão said:

@Stealth17sorry for bothering you. But there seems to be a little confusion here. Maybe you want to clarify

I wasn't serious about submarines being added. I think this person saw my Battleship Submarine video and thought they're adding submarines. What I did was edit a save file and reduce the draught by 90%. 

Last I know about submarines is that they're going to be a strategic asset on the world map, not a playable unit. That's based on my interview with the devs from way back.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stealth17 said:

I wasn't serious about submarines being added. I think this person saw my Battleship Submarine video and thought they're adding submarines. What I did was edit a save file and reduce the draught by 90%. 

Last I know about submarines is that they're going to be a strategic asset on the world map, not a playable unit. That's based on my interview with the devs from way back.

The issue is about the carriers info. "so i was told that aircraft carriers r on the way to the game will we make them like we do other ships? " And when asking where did he/she got that information. "in one of his videos when the patch we r in was in beta on steam " (Stealth17 Gaming )

• Like 1

5 hours ago, o Barão said:

The issue is about the carriers info. "so i was told that aircraft carriers r on the way to the game will we make them like we do other ships? " And when asking where did he/she got that information. "in one of his videos when the patch we r in was in beta on steam " (Stealth17 Gaming )

I never said they're adding carriers, at least not as playable units. I still really hope they won't. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Vanhal said:

Hope not, i bought this game precisely because there were no subs and no carriers.

Subs were on the plan (on their home page) from the start. As far as i know they however will be just a strategic asset not a tactical one. So they will  be very expensive way to deal enemy attrition and a reason for destroyers to be made with possibility of countering them (depth chages) and soo on

BTW any news on new patch or was VP bug fixed? I will be honest given what is heapening I compleatly lost touch with the game and development updates, would be glad for news on it.

Edited by Grayknight

19 hours ago, Grayknight said:

Subs were on the plan (on their home page) from the start. As far as i know they however will be just a strategic asset not a tactical one. So they will  be very expensive way to deal enemy attrition and a reason for destroyers to be made with possibility of countering them (depth chages) and soo on

BTW any news on new patch or was VP bug fixed? I will be honest given what is heapening I compleatly lost touch with the game and development updates, would be glad for news on it.

No new news yet, we wait patiently.

7 minutes ago, kineuhansen said:

i dont want this game to turn into a build world of warship but if they add carriers i just hope they do it the same way as submarines 

You can't fight WW2 without contending with aircraft. They're going to be there. The only way to avoid them is to stop the game at 1920.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, kineuhansen said:

i would love planes in uad the biggest threat to battleships was torpedo planes just look at pearl harbor taranto dont know if they will ever do planes in 1940

Pearl Harbor isn't exactly indicative of what's dangerous to a battleship, considering that all of them were docked and without most of their crew

Right now Submarines are NOT (yet) in. There is a reason why all the submarine (and ASW) technologies are marked out as WIP and not yet working.

At the moment the transports are sunk by surface-ship power projection.

Though that being said, if I understood past messages correctly, we will not be designing and commanding our custom subs like we do with surface ships, but it will be a background mechanic where we just juggle some numbers, so to say.