Game-Labs Forum

Thinking about returning... help me decide!

I didn't play Naval Action since 2016, and after having some fun time in SoT recently (and looking at how NA still stays at comparatively very healthy player numbers) I really feel the urge to return to something more challenging... though not too challenging, I grew older, and that's the main reason for my questions.

1. How much worse is the grind? I quit mostly just because I sank incredible amounts of time into NA, but not least because while I had a lot of fun in PBs, it became harder and harder to get some chilly fun solo (or small group) PvP with not enough people ready to risk their mods (devs were experimenting with crafting costs enormously at the time, though). I got the impression that the grind for competitive mods has gotten worse. Is that so? How real is it with a good clan and by participating in crafting chains (but without making tons of alt accounts) to spend the lesser part of your time on grinding and the major part of your time on pvp?

2. Since there was a wipe with release, what would be a rough estimate of time needed to grind to admiral ranks now?

3. Is there any nation that does seriously pose a challenge (even as an underdog) to Russia? I had a great time with GB in its heyday (and yea, it was close to a dominant faction in 2016 but, I think, nowhere close to the position Russia has now). I got the impression that GB either can't or doesn't want to put up a challenge to Russia's advance. Is there a nation that takes the role of a smaller, better organized underdog more seriously? Is Sweden trying to seriously challenge Russia?

Thanks! I'm seriously considering to return to NA, but I'm really on the verge here, since while I am still ready to engage with the game's complex and excellent mechanics, I seem to become more casual with the years, while the game seems to become more hardcore.

The Grind is pretty easy, Completing the tutorial gives you a fair amount of crew and massive amount of reps plus a ship and some mods. Make sure you complete the tutorial in a port you intend to live out of then you wont need to move all the stuff.  Doing missions now provides decent money and exp. Firing a broadside is still as satisfying as ever

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nathaniel said:
, I seem to become more casual with the years, while the game seems to become more hardcore.

Semi-retired myself, started playing abit myself but definately casual. Being casual in this game is a huge disadvantage towards non-casual. Many of your non-casual opponents will most likely be more skilled, have better woods on their ships and better upgrades. 

And if you like me, are playing solo it's another huge disadvantage, you have to play more careful and can't take same risks as clan-players because you won't be able to replace your ships the same way, thus in battles i always have to evaluate the situation, if terms of battle are unequal i tend to avoid and fight on better terms.

The good news is you don't need to "craft/buy" ships, plenty of strong dlc ships that you can have fun with wich are easily replaced.

I strongly recommend joining a clan though (most clans seem rather relaxed and usually no issues recruiting casual players).

On 8/22/2020 at 11:12 PM, Nathaniel said:

Thanks! I'm seriously considering to return to NA, but I'm really on the verge here, since while I am still ready to engage with the game's complex and excellent mechanics, I seem to become more casual with the years, while the game seems to become more hardcore.

If you want pvp join small nation (lots of target) poland could be a good choice
Overall the game plays better than ever. 

On 8/23/2020 at 10:37 AM, Kejsaren said:

Being casual in this game is a huge disadvantage towards non-casual.

Isn't it like this in any multiplayer game? The ones having time and eagerness will always prevail over casual visitors.

Unless you are so skilled as casual you still fight better than the pro, which should be rare.

Denmark, France or Prussia can also be good for PVP.

During early times of restarting, it's preferable to stay in shallow water areas, not to face Ships of the line only while you are limited in crew.

About Patrol Zones, focus in first time on Nassau (shallow waters) and La Tortue (limited to 5th rates). As a returniing player, you have access to Pandora and Trincomalee DLC's (possibility to redeem it once a day, with some Random port bonus. This helps restarting.

You can also have a look in the user guide:

7 hours ago, You said:

but the trading, crafting and pve part is just as flat as the earth

An average of 300 player daily on PvE server disagree with you... :)

(ok I could think of more interesting crafting too, but this is not the time to warm up the soup)

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac

1 minute ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

An average of 300 player daily disagree with you... :)

(ok I could think of more interesting crafting too, but this is not the time to warm up the soup)

300 players oh wow, I guess all of those just love the state of how it is right now, and not for the immersive sailing aspect

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback. It's more or less what I have expected, grind seems to have gotten worse but I also expected even worse. PvE and crafting aspects are absolutely secondary, thanks for the concerns, that hasn't changed since 2016 and I had over 1k hours back then. 

Can anyone add a bit more info about the current RvR situation? As said, I'm really a 100% PvP player, a prefer my small skirmish possibilities, but I defenitely am also a clan player who expects to contribute to the PB war effort despite my now more limited game time. So which nations really pose a challenge for the Russian Empire at the moment? 

France is the only nation fighting the Russian right now in RVR. The US also have a PB vs Russia once in a while on the east coast. 

Sweden would be the top contender ( and the only real challenger),  but they got burned out by Russian numbers and have been in a truce for a while now. 

Edited by Serk