Game-Labs Forum

Possible Loki in Mission

I was fighting two Buccs in a mission outside Ambergrease Cay, managed to sink one but the other I boarded. I had maybe 600 crew vs his 500, we do the dance and he falls into the AI pattern of Cannons, Grenades, Brace. So I Brace, Brace, Attack. After my second attack the A.I suddenly changes to counter-attack at the very last second, attacking directly into my brace, I lose half my crew and my moral goes down from 55 to 1 instantly. 

It then sits there counter-attacking non-stop until I run out of crew. I've never seen an AI do this before and the common thesis is a Loki managed to get into my mission, which should be impossible. Or this is a new AI mechanic that I've been lucky enough never to witness. Either way I've been advised to reach out on the support forums since I lost a Christian, to which I am ever so slightly salty.

this.jpg

4 minutes ago, Despe said:

really you have marines?

The few times I've used a Loki rune I've always been a traders Brig being boarded and I've had marines. I suspect if the player had jumped into the ship after the boarding had been initiated the marines would have stayed there not disappeared. 

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, Winterthrust said:

The few times I've used a Loki rune I've always been a traders Brig being boarded and I've had marines. I suspect if the player had jumped into the ship after the boarding had been initiated the marines would have stayed there not disappeared. 

oh, probably. All time that i was in loki i have no marines, in my case all before boarding

1 minute ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Why do you feel that it's impossible?  This is exactly how Loki is supposed to work, is it not?

Loki Runes are only supposed to be for open world battles, not missions.

As far as I know, Loki runes don't work for mission AI. In other words, I have never heard of anyone getting a Loki player in their mission, as opposed to in open world where it happens all the time. Also, with regard to AI boarding (you probably know this already), if at any point during boarding your crew count drops below that of the AI's, you're at risk of attack/counter-attack. This can happen just with the regular AI cycle with decks guns -> grenades -> brace, since I'm guessing a Bucentaure can kill 10-15 crew just with deck guns/grenades.

13 minutes ago, Winterthrust said:

I'm open to the fact I may be wrong, in which case I've lost yet another ship due to an AI boarding bug and my clan will throw spoons at me.

Boarding bug? So NPC playing clever is a bug? You just relied too much on your dusted schemata.

Actually I think devs could perfect their AI behavior even more so, for teaching guys a lesson about not underestimating AI.

Reminds me there were times when people thought chess computers were bound to lose as well, because of the "superiority" of the human mind per se. :P

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac

Loki never sends player to missions.

Missions are safe encounters allowing you to fight the the carefully chosen strong opponents. That's why missions are star rated and high star missions give better rewards. We also do not allow players to join missions on your enemy because of that. Some time ago missions could be entered by players. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, admin said:

Loki never sends player to missions.

Missions are safe encounters allowing you to fight the the carefully chosen strong opponents. That's why missions are star rated and high star missions give better rewards. We also do not allow players to join missions on your enemy because of that. Some time ago missions could be entered by players. 

I have known a couple of people who found their missions had been loki'd into, I was wondering if, on this occasion, the same thing had happened or if that bug had been fixed.

1 minute ago, van Veen said:

This is normal AI behaviour. AI does attack you immediately if it has more crew than you. AI also attacks when the cannons, grenades, brace cycle was repeated enough times, but I'm not sure

The AI attacked me while I had more crew.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Winterthrust said:

I was fighting two Buccs in a mission outside Ambergrease Cay, managed to sink one but the other I boarded. I had maybe 600 crew vs his 500, we do the dance and he falls into the AI pattern of Cannons, Grenades, Brace. So I Brace, Brace, Attack. After my second attack the A.I suddenly changes to counter-attack at the very last second, attacking directly into my brace, I lose half my crew and my moral goes down from 55 to 1 instantly. 

It then sits there counter-attacking non-stop until I run out of crew. I've never seen an AI do this before and the common thesis is a Loki managed to get into my mission, which should be impossible. Or this is a new AI mechanic that I've been lucky enough never to witness. Either way I've been advised to reach out on the support forums since I lost a Christian, to which I am ever so slightly salty.

this.jpg

His crew wasn't 500.

You had 58 +607 = 665

AI had 233 +372 = 605.

(add crew remaining + kills) 

a) Dont try to board ai with just 10% more crew unless you have a boarding setup b) why didnt you use rum ? c) why didnt you use broadsides ?

What happenerd most likely: The moment ai has 1 crew member more than you it starts to counterattack and than looks exactly like your screenshot...

Edited by Jan van Santen

3 minutes ago, Jan van Santen said:

His crew wasn't 500.

You had 58 +607 = 665

AI had 233 +372 = 605.

(add crew remaining + kills) 

a) Dont try to board ai with just 10% more crew unless you have a boarding setup b) why didnt you use rum ? c) why didnt you use broadsides ?

What happenerd most likely: The moment ai has 1 crew member more than you it starts to counterattack and than looks exactly like your screenshot...

a) I am 90% positive he had at least 100 less crew than I did, I've been playing this game for long enough to know not to make that mistake. There is a known bug where an AI ship will 'reset' its crew back to full, this happened to someone in my clan last night and I will see if they can confirm with video/screenshot this happening. 

b) I don't take rum on AI missions unless I'm planning to cap a 1st rate, typically you don't need it and if you lose it it's a waste of valuable rum

c) Bad positioning, I tried to board from behind but my ship drifted forward a lot further than I thought it would, putting him out of range.

d) even in times when the AI has had more crew it has never just attack, attack, attacked 

2 minutes ago, van Veen said:

but it does. Obviously, also in your case. Accept it as a fact. 

I'm happy to do that, but I have been advised it may have been a loki rune and I'd like the opinion of the dev team because if it is then that is a bug that needs fixin' I'm not just here looking for a free replacement ship.

1 hour ago, Winterthrust said:

sure you wasnt in boarding already then? i've only seen it when the ai is in boarding and i join the fight i get marines

32 minutes ago, Winterthrust said:

a) I am 90% positive he had at least 100 less crew than I did, I've been playing this game for long enough to know not to make that mistake. There is a known bug where an AI ship will 'reset' its crew back to full, this happened to someone in my clan last night and I will see if they can confirm with video/screenshot this happening. 

b) I don't take rum on AI missions unless I'm planning to cap a 1st rate, typically you don't need it and if you lose it it's a waste of valuable rum

c) Bad positioning, I tried to board from behind but my ship drifted forward a lot further than I thought it would, putting him out of range.

d) even in times when the AI has had more crew it has never just attack, attack, attacked 

a) simple math, take the numbers from screenshot.....nuffsaid. I've 9000+ hrs in PvE, i know how to read a boarding screenshot. (and i never heard off or encountered crew reset...)

b) lol...sry...just lol. Rum = insurance

c) switch to 100 m range , you can do hits enuff even thru bow or stern or with a very small angle.

d) it does....it has marines, crew superiority and enough preparation.

sry, but everything is clearly visible in your screenshot....tbh: this has happened to me, too in the past...but i didnt blame my own mistake on a bug :)

added: did you check rank of ai captain, tried battle chat ? That ....would actually back your claim of a bug, your screenshot doesn't.

Edited by Jan van Santen

AI has some new behavior patterns since what it used to play like some months ago, so some people mistaking that for a Loki. As soon as they see something they think AI didn't normally used to do, they think it's a Loki. Not saying that's you but perhaps the people telling you that is it one, are thinking like this. 

Take it as a lesson, that if you take a good ship out of harbor, you take rum every time. It won't be a waste if you don't use it, it weighs very little and you never know it might save you having at least 200-300 on board. And to always board from a good position, even if AI has less crew, it can still beat you if you aren't boarding properly. Sucks you lost the ship, but hard lessons are remembered better. 

Edited by Never

8 minutes ago, Never said:

AI has some new behavior patterns since what it used to play like some months ago, so some people mistaking that for a Loki. As soon as they see something they think AI didn't normally used to do, they think it's a Loki. Not saying that's you but perhaps the people telling you that is it one, are thinking like this. 

Take as a lesson, that you take a good ship out of harbor, you take rum every time. It won't be a waste if you don't use it, it weighs very little and you never know it might save you having at least 200-300 on board. And to always board from a good position, even if AI has less crew, it can still beat you if you aren't boarding properly. Sucks you lost the ship, but hard lessons are remembered better. 

Alright, thanks.