Game-Labs Forum

Big list of ship designer improvements

What about machine guns/autocannon? Particularly for PT/MGB/MTB and also to defend against said boats. I suspect we shall see them around the time wee see aircraft But I would like to have a few MGs/Autocannon options, such as .50 Brownings, 20mm Oerlikon, 20mm Flakvierling, 40mm Bofors etc

• Like 3

Few additional ideas

- US Battleship interwar turrets and towers (tripod masts and maybe guns that resemble New York or Pennsylvania class ships)

- US and britsh interwar treaty cruiser designs (Really enjoy designing ships with the trento towers, but it would be even cooler with new orlands or county class superstructures)

- Boston or Cleveland class hulls

-  Imperial Japanese Navy interwar pagoda towers

- WWI britsh superstructures (queen Elizabeth and renown class launch superstructures and Iron Duke)

These are the ones that are off the top of my head and would be really cool to have in the ship builder, but there is one more feature that I would really like, but I'm not holding my breath for is spotting float planes for increased accuracy and scouting. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What about staggered wing turrets for cross-deck firing, like in German WWI designs?

I mean yes, you can build those if you really want to (it's actually the first design I tried to build in the game), but it's quite troubling and gameplay-wise there is no point in doing so. And historically those ships had a good reason to be made that way. The reason why it's pointless in UA:D is because the game doesn't take space taken by machinery into consideration and let's you put the turrets centerline, over the boiler rooms.

The simplest way of implementing this into the game would probably be a hull with lot of empty deck space, but restricted to only 2 centerline turrets, possibly with some way to make balancing port/starboard sides easier...

I  remember that in RTW I've been using the cross deck firing design on almost any ship (DDs included) before researching superimposed turrets :) 

• Like 6

On 6/13/2020 at 6:34 PM, ozzy.88 said:

What about staggered wing turrets for cross-deck firing, like in German WWI designs?

I mean yes, you can build those if you really want to (it's actually the first design I tried to build in the game), but it's quite troubling and gameplay-wise there is no point in doing so. And historically those ships had a good reason to be made that way. The reason why it's pointless in UA:D is because the game doesn't take space taken by machinery into consideration and let's you put the turrets centerline, over the boiler rooms.

The simplest way of implementing this into the game would probably be a hull with lot of empty deck space, but restricted to only 2 centerline turrets, possibly with some way to make balancing port/starboard sides easier...

I  remember that in RTW I've been using the cross deck firing design on almost any ship (DDs included) before researching superimposed turrets :) 

agree. Built an „en echelon“ Kaiser type ship but it isn’t exactly ideal

• Like 2

Also could do with more supercruiser hulls as well, 20.1inch guns for super yammy (maybe higher) and corvettes, maybe frigates and also coastal type battleships.

Oh and weather that changes as time goes on and moar sound tracks.

13 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

Also could do with more supercruiser hulls as well, 20.1inch guns for super yammy (maybe higher) and corvettes, maybe frigates and also coastal type battleships.

Oh and weather that changes as time goes on and moar sound tracks.

I don’t want to sound like the bad guy but I feel that a lot of base work is needed before we get to such things.

- freedom to placing barbettes 

- freedom to place superstructure 

- split superstructure into reasonable building blocks (such as Mast and Bridge)

- freedom to place machinery spaces and funnels 

I think the main selling proposition of this game is to build your own ships and that needs to allow for q certain creativity and freedom in building.

I am afraid that the devs are pushing too hard for a steam release before the main topics are in a state to do so: I really love the concept of the game and I support it and see the potential but I hope they won’t rush it. 

For me the ship designer is a key element of the game (along with the campaign) and I hope we will see some further work on this soon 

Keep up the good work dudes - we support you!

• Like 8

8 hours ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

I don’t want to sound like the bad guy but I feel that a lot of base work is needed before we get to such things.

- freedom to placing barbettes 

- freedom to place superstructure 

- split superstructure into reasonable building blocks (such as Mast and Bridge)

- freedom to place machinery spaces and funnels 

I think the main selling proposition of this game is to build your own ships and that needs to allow for q certain creativity and freedom in building.

I am afraid that the devs are pushing too hard for a steam release before the main topics are in a state to do so: I really love the concept of the game and I support it and see the potential but I hope they won’t rush it. 

For me the ship designer is a key element of the game (along with the campaign) and I hope we will see some further work on this soon 

Keep up the good work dudes - we support you!

Oh no thats just to add to the list, disc adds stuff it when we shove things onto teh thread. The 19 and 20 inch guns shouldn't take long, just make existing gun models longer and add two new turrets, maybe a few new unique ones (if the game is moddable i can then learn to use autodesk fusion 360 and start making turrets, ship hulls etc). Supercruiser hulls they can base off, graf spee, siegfried, agir, azuma, yoshino, alaska, stalingrad and whatever else they can find.

But i also want the stuff you mentioned too.

I think its because they promised peeps they would release the game on steam around the first half of 2020, so they are focusing on that as number one prioity atm.

But yeah i love the concept of this game, cant wait too see what happens next.

• Like 1

I agree: guys take your time and don't feel compelled with the early release: better a perfect game a touch later.

BTW I would like to add among the wanted themes the colouring schemas of the 1890's: black hulls, white and yellow, etc.

• Like 3

OBSOLETE SHIPS: it would be great to start in 1890 with the existing fleets (or similar): this  would give the choice to modernize old stuff (low quality at limited cost), or decide what to do with things like USS Texas, RN Duilio, or even with old central battery frigates: some of them were used as coastal defense ships, and in some cases kept alive up to ww1.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for obsolete ships:

the main subject of the game is dreadnoughts so to place them in the context, you'll have to evolve from something (pre-dreadnoughts and the different ironclad designs) to attain the infamous dreadought designs and go further in the game towards modern battleships and since the other ultimate admiral takes us to the end of the sails era, it would make sense to take us from where the other game leaves us (probably around 1860 with the first steam ironclads/monitors) to the end of classic naval warfare after WWII and missiles/aircraft carriers

that would make sense to me and would give the widest choices for players to solve the campaign while still staying historically correct with available technologies and such.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2019 at 3:06 PM, disc said:

Possibly allow customizable towers, funnels, and turrets. These "preconstructed" modules could then be added to a hull as on the current system. Potentially would reduce need to add new modules; players could make their own out of simple building blocks.

That is one of my main issues. Most of the ships look too similar - we need some freedom in designing the superstructure 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder if it would possible to allow us to modify the hull in some ways. Specifically I want to be able to change the size of casemates on some hulls. Currently casemates are limited max to 6 in from what I've seen. Early on in RTW I really like putting heavy secondaries on my ships, usually 8 in casemates. I wonder if it would be possible to let us like raise or lower the caliber the casemate is set for. The trade off would obviously be weight and also the number of casemates? Like you could have more 4 in casemates than 8 in ones right? I just want heavy secondaries to be a thing and early on that's just not possible right now

• Like 1

I would love to see some hulls modern monitors, Like the Lord Clive-class, and to add to an earlier post I made I would like to see 18in Single mounts for ww1 Britain,  like on the HMS Furious or as I just stated the Lord Clive-class...

Although the ones on the Lord Clive's were immobile and not mounted in a turret but more of a box, and fixed aiming starboard. 

The_Surrender_of_the_German_High_Seas_Fleet,_November_1918_Q19294.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I see this grew a second page...

Anyway, what I wanted to respond to was that while I can see design of enemy ships possible; there should also be an option for ai taking fleet design from the campaign library, since odds are good we would not see the sort of massive overhaul of this scale until after the campaign comes about. Hence ai simply taking the ships needed from the campaign data libraries.

Otherwise, I can easily see some likely spending days designing a fleet for a custom battle, so much so you'd need a save progress button as well.

10 hours ago, Adm.Hawklyn said:

I see this grew a second page...

Anyway, what I wanted to respond to was that while I can see design of enemy ships possible; there should also be an option for ai taking fleet design from the campaign library, since odds are good we would not see the sort of massive overhaul of this scale until after the campaign comes about. Hence ai simply taking the ships needed from the campaign data libraries.

Otherwise, I can easily see some likely spending days designing a fleet for a custom battle, so much so you'd need a save progress button as well.

Think theres going to be the option to have a ship library probs during or after the campaign.

• Like 1