Game-Labs Forum

War server player stats.

10 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Not to name and shame any one, and you can even blurt out the names, but I would like to see the other end of the list.  The most deaths vs how many PvP kills they get. I known guys that never gotten any PvP kills but been killed more times than I can count.   For some one to have a 24 kill to every time they day that is a l lot of folks getting killed first.  It just proves pro's and such don't need help in game.  You need to be look at the other 80-90% of the player base that don't get tons of kills.

Hell I'll admit my kill to death ratio is prob pretty much clost to 2:1 or 1:1, but i also haven't been playing much lately and I don't get into to much PvP unless it's involved around RvR.

I would probably lead that board :D

50 minutes ago, Liq said:

Hartmann did have excellenct statistics going for him, yes. 352 confirmed kills, at first glance you think - wow. 

However, if you go any deeper into it - which I did, in a project i did a couple years ago - you will soon realize that he actually wasn't all that great you thought he was..

Most of Hartmanns kills on the eastern front were on, due to the lack of experienced pilots, poorly trained pilots flying very vulnerable IL2's... Hartmann would just do what he did best.. get real close up and unleash a quick deadly burst, without them ever seeing him coming. Some sources claim that he got as close to 20 metres before pulling the trigger.

So yeah. He did get a lot of confirmed kills on vulnerable IL2's not even seeing him, unable to do anything about it - and not on p47's, p51's, well armed, protected B24s etc. on the westfront.

I think, though, the analogy is perfect. Hartmann scored 352 kills. If you didn't go deeper into it you'd think he must have been a great fighter pilot (He surely was a great pilot, not denying that), but once you go deeper into it you'll see the truth.
Ingame we got about the same happening. Requins camping spawnpoints of inexperienced, vulnerable newcomers lacking the experience to even realize what's coming at them.

But seeing it as Skillful..... Don't really know.

Brilliant comparison. For this very reason I don't like K/D/A and similar stats, it only leads to farming of low skilled players to pump up that epeen. If we want to see who really is the best, just make it a tournament on a regular basis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sovereign said:

Brilliant comparison. For this very reason I don't like K/D/A and similar stats, it only leads to farming of low skilled players to pump up that epeen. If we want to see who really is the best, just make it a tournament on a regular basis.

That why leader boards suck, but I think most of just like to see our own stats than try to be top dog on a leader board. 

Still waiting to to see the highest death list to compare to how often they get PvP kills.  @admin prob won’t post it cause it will show even more of the trueth.  The top guys are doing all the lkilli g while the little guys get killed over and over and than you wonder why we loose so many players.

13 hours ago, admin said:

There is a very strange dynamic that US players buy majority of copies but do not play.
It could be explained by the placebo - players buy the game, go into the game or forums, hear the whining and leave, which leaves the US timezone in a perpetual state of flux.

I'm from North America.  I know a lot of players who played for a while but do not play now.  The reasons for not playing are varied.  Many of them are casual gamers, that prefer shits and giggles.  Some are very competitive and seek e-sport style games.  Most of them are waiting for the release when the rules are decided and their assets will not be wiped.  Lots of players, especially those who have been involved in software development, have no interest in early action games, they say the politics are much too thick.  I would like the game to be more like a simulator, but have not heard anyone else say they quit playing for that reason.

I have never personally heard anyone say they are not playing, or will not buy the game, because of the whining (snivelling) in game or the  negative reviews.

Edited by Macjimm
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, admin said:

It also shows that life of the PVE player is not dangerous at all on the War server. With many top pve players not sinking at all over the last month. 

this is because you gave the little cry babys their safe zones. #keepkillingthegame

safezones have ruined this game. the only save zone in the game should be pve server. or capitals need a major rework. 

I would also like to point out that only two players in the usa timezone are on the pvp kills list. prolly because our pop is down to less than 120 during our time zone. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, King of Crowns said:

this is because you gave the little cry babys their safe zones. #keepkillingthegame

safezones have ruined this game. the only save zone in the game should be pve server. or capitals need a major rework. 

I would also like to point out that only two players in the usa timezone are on the pvp kills list. prolly because our pop is down to less than 120 during our time zone. 

Would you rather no safe zones with 10 people online or safe zones with 100? Multiple safe zones are bad and ai reinforcments doing what players should be doing also but safezones should be ingame. Basing a nation's economy out of safezones is also abit strange. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HachiRoku said:

Would you rather no safe zones with 10 people online or safe zones with 100? Multiple safe zones are bad and ai reinforcments doing what players should be doing also but safezones should be ingame. Basing a nation's economy out of safezones is also abit strange. 

There were lot more people playing NA when we didn't have safe zones. From the day 0 safe zones failed to protect new players and were only good to old farts who wanted to pve in 1st rates free of risk. 

Edited by Zoky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, King of Crowns said:

Its not better during EU prime time either. We are lucky to have ~400 on sunday prime time!!!

Edited by Zoky

2 hours ago, King of Crowns said:

Hey! I'm PST, don't forget me! 

7 minutes ago, EliteDelta said:

Hey! I'm PST, don't forget me! 

what is your input lag like? How would you think it effects people that are not as hardcore into sailing?

37 minutes ago, Zoky said:

There were lot more people playing NA when we didn't have safe zones. From the day 0 safe zones failed to protect new players and were only good to old farts who wanted to pve in 1st rates free of risk. 

That is debatable. Before the safezone patch was dropped we had 300 people online considering the game is oldernow than it was then I would say its not the safezones fault.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

what is your input lag like? How would you think it effects people that are not as hardcore into sailing?

That is debatable. Before the safezone patch was dropped we had 300 people online considering the game is oldernow than it was then I would say its not the safezones fault.

I’m central and I get about 138-148 and while it’s not bad I can tell when I’m sniping mast or have messed up boarding commands cause of that 1/2 to 1 sec delay.  Other games I played on with EU servers I get about 85-125. Though they tend to be in UK or France area.  I think this does effect many US and SEA/AU players that have left the game. Jehil had great YouTube content for the game.  We needed players like him to get info out about the game.

safe zones did not effect the population it was low way before them mainly cause of other bad game directions (fine woods) and just folks waiting on a final game.

2 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I’m central and I get about 138-148 and while it’s not bad I can tell when I’m sniping mast or have messed up boarding commands cause of that 1/2 to 1 sec delay.  Other games I played on with EU servers I get about 85-125. Though they tend to be in UK or France area.  I think this does effect many US and SEA/AU players that have left the game. Jehil had great YouTube content for the game.  We needed players like him to get info out about the game.

safe zones did not effect the population it was low way before them mainly cause of other bad game directions (fine woods) and just folks waiting on a final game.

138-148 ping is 0.138 sec delay. If you had 0.5 sec or a second you would have 500-1000ping. 138 is not bad considering you're from texas. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Polish Privateer said:

Before safezones we had the super hardcore patch 10.0 which made many players quit the game quickly. After Patch 10 came out, we had quiet some population of 1000+ methinks. 

true, I thought they were added together. I already gave my opinion on a possible solution to them. Keep the defenders battle open forever and removing ai to give coast guards something to do. Maybe even allow friendly AI to join the battle if they are close. I am however convinced they do more good than bad overall. The fact that there are 2 or 3 of them is beyond me to be honest. The fact you can build ships from jamaica is also bad. The one good thing about fine woods was that you had to sail far for certain things. Hitting traders was really nice at that time. The fine woods did add some nice things to the game. 

19 hours ago, admin said:

30 days since patch 27.

@admin well i know you can make it happen and have the skills to do it.

i think it would be great to have a leaderboard ship statistics /battle statistics with a  refresh cycle  once  every month

-nation wide 

-worldwide

-and an overall line of the total result.

you said people do not care if they have the figures/ numbers, and do not need to know the length of a particular part, but i need them for building purposes

the more the better.

after all, what is a pvp game without a leaderboard! 

Edited by Thonys

1 hour ago, HachiRoku said:

what is your input lag like? How would you think it effects people that are not as hardcore into sailing

I’m in the San Francisco, California area and typically have 190-210 pings during my own prime time when almost no one else is using the game. During my day (Euro prime time) pings can go up over 500. 

1 hour ago, rediii said:

New players need a safe space to learn the game from. Getting hunted and killed in 1v1's constantly by requins is no fun when the biggest ship you can sail is a brig.

A Coast guard can't do enough to protect these new players because coast guard can only react after something happened and requins are not catchable anyway. (not even by requins)

I get it but it does more harm than good for the community over all. If the coast guard has nothing to do they will not play. I think its quite unfortunate we have a community that seal clubs the way some people do. By this I dont mean 20v3. I have joined battles were 4 known "pvpers" gank a single noob in a surprise. For some players being ganked is a driving force to get revenge on that player. Revenge ganking as annoying but it does more good than bad also. Noobs like that kind of thing. Lets be honest. Before there were safe zones capital areas were more active. Lower playerbase is not the reason for this. Only reason I can think of is that the ai is doing what players used to do and that is removing content imo. At the end of the day people are ganking noobs and escaping AI with requins as it is. AI dont protect noobs in snows that can be sank/boarded in less than 3 min in some cases. AI protect rear admirals in their shiny victorys and thats a fact. 

Edited by HachiRoku

30 minutes ago, Farrago said:

I’m in the San Francisco, California area and typically have 190-210 pings during my own prime time when almost no one else is using the game. During my day (Euro prime time) pings can go up over 500. 

Thats a bad sign. This could mean if we ever get more players the west coast players will quit fast if the servers cannot handle the traffic. I really do hope we have very stable servers on day one. This is the most important thing in any online game and even more so if there is no singleplayer.

10 hours ago, Liq said:

Hartmann did have excellenct statistics going for him, yes. 352 confirmed kills, at first glance you think - wow. 

However, if you go any deeper into it - which I did, in a project i did a couple years ago - you will soon realize that he actually wasn't all that great you thought he was..

Most of Hartmanns kills on the eastern front were on, due to the lack of experienced pilots, poorly trained pilots flying very vulnerable IL2's... Hartmann would just do what he did best.. get real close up and unleash a quick deadly burst, without them ever seeing him coming. Some sources claim that he got as close to 20 metres before pulling the trigger.

So yeah. He did get a lot of confirmed kills on vulnerable IL2's not even seeing him, unable to do anything about it - and not on p47's, p51's, well armed, protected B24s etc. on the westfront.

I think, though, the analogy is perfect. Hartmann scored 352 kills. If you didn't go deeper into it you'd think he must have been a great fighter pilot (He surely was a great pilot, not denying that), but once you go deeper into it you'll see the truth.
Ingame we got about the same happening. Requins camping spawnpoints of inexperienced, vulnerable newcomers lacking the experience to even realize what's coming at them.

But seeing it as Skillful..... Don't really know.

Just a sidenote: he did what had to be done in the local tactical situation. He had a mission assignement. Be it to intercept the enemy attackers or go on free hunt ( air superiority ) patrols. As he said himself - there were plenty of better than me, but they all dead.

Plus he wasn't a exceptional pilot, he was a exceptional killer. Go in, get close, shoot. Nevermind the fancy flying, that's for air shows. If thing got hairy he would disengage.

Back to Naval Action open world war of nations....

Everytime a captain engages a enemy it should, by design, affect the war. Sinking a 74 gunner en route to the frontlines is as valuable as sinking him inside the port battle, or should. Stealing resources bound to shipyards to build a 1st rate is as valuable, or should, as sinking that same 1st rate in a port battle. Stealing a enemy valuable ship is as valuable, or should, as crafting it myself. Whether you like the playstyle or not is moot. Same as me liking or not set piece battles in a open ended wargame. That is what Naval Action is for me. For arena fights and equal matchups I have Legends for that... *waits for it*

We will never, or rather rarely, agree on this point. Some play matchup battle arena modes, some play simulated wargames. ALL participate in some measure. Some are excellent sailors, others are excellent killers.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that there's little space for "arena" gameplay. I totally wish there will be more options for Conquest aficionados that only want to do Port Battles. But please oh please, do not diminish the unsung guys that kill the enemy ships before they are born, or that sink them before they reach their intended targets and all of it not in the zones or patrol areas. Some of us really like the simulated character in the age of sail in the caribbean. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, admin said:

Maybe
maybe player leaderboards with your position should be added to game (but we have heard people do not like measuring length of particular parts)?

Statistics would be great HOWEVER IF they contained also average skill of enemy you sink. Ram dies only one every 8 kills. If I kill him, my pvp Leaderboard should go higher than when I kill a noob. Then I would be motivated to fight good enemies. If there were 2 Leaderboards, one daily and one weekly, people would have something to aspire to. 

It's not participation trophy as you call it, it's a proper recognition of skills, which would lead to more interesting fights. 

Just counting k/d ratio or bare numbers, even if interesting, is missing info on skill of your opponents. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HachiRoku said:

We had stable population of for 1-2 months of ~700+ people between hardcore patch and safe zone patch. After safezone patch population dropped almost overnight. You can check this at http://steamcharts.com Hardcore patch droped at end of may 2017 and safe zones patch month or two later

18 hours ago, admin said:

as i have designed this combat - i can assure you dont need talent - just practice 

Actually you need a different kind of talent in NA - knowledge, patience, self-awareness of your mistakes and improvement over time, cooperation. That's really what makes your game so unique. It teaches all the good things, which also in real life matter a lot.

Yes, it's not about muscle memory kind of talent (except for mast sniping, which is a lot about your perception of 3d in 2d). Still, not everyone can be as good as top players. It's not just practice - eg if you lack patinece, you'll loose, which is good.

Edited by vazco

16 hours ago, admin said:

If you introduce fame you might get nothing for your kills even if other skilled players have not logged in. 

You don't have to base loot or reward on "fame", just give people something to aspire to, something that is meaningful. If I sail with 5 friends and kill a noob, it's not as big of a feet than when I sail alone and kill 1 of 5 good players. You could simply create a second leaderboard, where you could award points eg. by something along those lines:

Points = Current points * ( MIN(Enemy group BR/your group BR, 1) ) * MIN(Enemy K/D ratio, 8   )  * (1 + enemy kills per battle)

This gives:

• recognition to people who fight at least even fights
  • recognition for how hard it is to sink a given enemy
  • recognition for your enemy's skill and lethality

I believe a skill-based game deserves a skill-based leaderboard. Just introducing it should improve PvP a lot, by introducing more fun.

ps. an actual formula would need to be a bit more complex. For sake of simplicity I didn't modify the original one. It could be something like:

Points = Current points * ( MAX( MIN(Enemy group BR/your group BR, 1), 0,5) ) * MAX( MIN(Enemy K/D ratio, 8   ), 1)  * (1 + enemy kills per battle)

Edited by vazco
  • Like 1

I find that totally reductive in relation to open ended wargame and fitting only to a arena game.

As an example from RL, how much K/D you'd attribute a spy that stole plans for great offensive ? He killed no one, he didn't engage no one, but his side won the battle in the end.

Same as in NA. Say you capture 100 enemy ships. You never sink anyone. But those 100 ships would beused by your nation to wage war on enemy ships / ports. What is you K/D ? Naught, but yet you did a great service as a captain for your nation in NA and gave a lot of ships to your fellows.

Keep stats for Duel Tournaments and Arena please.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

I find that totally reductive in relation to open ended wargame and fitting only to a arena game.

As an example from RL, how much K/D you'd attribute a spy that stole plans for great offensive ? He killed no one, he didn't engage no one, but his side won the battle in the end.

Same as in NA. Say you capture 100 enemy ships. You never sink anyone. But those 100 ships would beused by your nation to wage war on enemy ships / ports. What is you K/D ? Naught, but yet you did a great service as a captain for your nation in NA and gave a lot of ships to your fellows.

Keep stats for Duel Tournaments and Arena please.

Are you advocating for removal of a current leaderboard?

It seems you're in minority of PvP players. Everyone else I talked with likes a leaderboard, some actually play only to get on it. The only opposition I hear is related with sealclubbing getting you more points, which is actually adressed with modifications I proposed.

I'm simply advocating for improvement of this what we already have. Having both old and new leaderboard would be also cool, even if just for testing.

Edited by vazco