Game-Labs Forum

Things Which Are Bad Luck

jpjchris

I figured this would make for a very fun topic.

I've recently learned that uttering the name of the play "MacBeth" supposedly causes bad luck. 

To me, this is as amusing as women aboard ships being considered bad luck....

What things have you heard that are apparently bad luck? 

One that is still heard on the docks today:

Don't turn a hatch cover upside down. Superstition is that it will 'encourage' the boat to sink.  So, when I'm aboard my boat, I don't turn the hatch covers upside down. I suppose it'd be acceptable to turn it upside down to work on the hatch cover though...

A few other common ones (google refreshed my memory here):

Don't re-name a vessel. Or you have to go through an elaborate process if you do. (Must hold a ceremony for the old name and a christening for the new name).

Don't leave port on a Friday. I've forgotten the reasoning behind this (something to do with Good Friday maybe?). 

Don't coil a rope counter-clockwise (left handed).  I read this online and I'm not sure where the superstition comes from, but I suspect that there is some basis in truth: most 3-strand ropes are "right-laid ropes," meaning the final twist to make a 3 strand rope is done in such a way that the rope naturally wants to lay into a coil in a clockwise fashion. Trying to coil it left-handed can introduce kinks and give the rope a "memory," making handling of the rope just a bit worse. This isn't too much of a problem with modern synthetics, or with smaller lines, but if you've ever tried to deal with 1"+ rope thats been submerged in saltwater and then baked in the sun, all while under strain...it can be a challenge.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ZenTex said:

Don't light your cigarette using a candle.

Soing so, somewhere a sailor dies.

Back when we smoked on Subs, the air would sometimes be so bad that a lighter wouldn't stay lit.  You'd use a toaster to light your cigarette and you had to keep sucking or it would go out.  That's when the CO knew it was time to snort!

• Like 1

In addition to it being bad luck to whistle at sea, you also shouldn’t do it in a theatre.

Spilling salt. Countered by tossing a pinch over your left shoulder.

Being separated by an obstacle while walking with a friend or lover. Counteracted by saying “bread and butter”.

A hat on a bed.

Shaking hands across a threshold. 

• Like 1