Game-Labs Forum

Blame devs for everything

If the game is appealing and worth playing, people will stay, if not they won't. It's not just chat that factors into this.

At the end of the day the responsibility of the devs to make and maintain a quality gaming experience.

I think most vets are worried that pve content or any type of content outside of pvp is just a skeleton and we do not believe it has been fleshed out. As new players it seems they have a good 40+ hours stuff to do? I don't know.

Is it also the players fault? I guess, but I just wish there was more to the game then ship crafting and pvp. If I could sail out to sea and actually be exploring or uncovering secret caches of resources.

Like if the sealed bottles were more of a feature than a "once in a blue moon drop."

1 hour ago, Wind said:

Question is why they got bored so quickly? If I throw a party I make sure party lasts and people don't get bored. You know what I mean? 

Because there simply is not enough for people to do.  You can't expect everyone to want to PVP or do RVR 100% of the time.  

People want quest lines, achievements, titles on their names, cosmetic skins/paints/whatever....basically people want varied content.  NA has none of these things that typical MMO games feature.  There is no progression anywhere past max rank other than ship slots.  People want skill trees.  To sum it up, people need goals in these types of games to keep them going.  Collect all of a certain type of thing, badges from visiting various ports.....who knows.

Throwing everyone together in a sandbox and say go have fun is great, but there has to be pre existing PVE content to keep people busy.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Because there simply is not enough for people to do.  You can't expect everyone to want to PVP or do RVR 100% of the time.  

People want quest lines, achievements, titles on their names, cosmetic skins/paints/whatever....basically people want varied content.  NA has none of these things that typical MMO games feature.  There is no progression anywhere past max rank other than ship slots.  People want skill trees.  To sum it up, people need goals in these types of games to keep them going.  Collect all of a certain type of thing, badges from visiting various ports.....who knows.

Throwing everyone together in a sandbox and say go have fun is great, but there has to be pre existing PVE content to keep people busy.  

and that is the foundation of any MMO game... so who do we blame is everyone's personal choice. 

Edited by Wind

2 minutes ago, Wind said:

and that is the foundation of any MMO game... so who do we blame is everyone's personal choice. 

Yea but most MMO games have baked in content.  We do not.  The only folks that stick around a month or 2 after a big patch are the hardcore guys who enjoy RVR and PVP....which is great, but not a large enough population to sustain the game for long as we keep seeing.  There needs to be goals for the casual player beyond making money and sinking bots.  Until we figure that out, the game will never keep it's casual players for long.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Cabral said:

"I blame the clans"

Actually you might not be too far from the truth.  

I've been brooding more and more over the fact that the BR port battle change killed this game, in the big picture.  Don't get me wrong...I like the change, but I think changing to a BR port battle along with clan owned ports inherently shifted this game towards more of a clan based system, but unfortunately the game did not go far enough into the clan based system and this limbo is hurting us.  Look at most nations.  Internal strife, clans vs clans is tearing them apart and they are mostly RVR non-functional.  Some of the smaller nations are better off because only a handful of clans run them and work together.  Russia worked back in the day because it was really only 3 clans that did things and we all worked together.  Prussia works because it's only a couple clans.  Larger nations with more actors and clans going in several different directions just doesn't work.  At least when we had the 25man system and national owned ports, there was a common goal.  Now not so much.

So basically we either need to more towards more of a clan based system, get rid of nations and focus on clan alliances   OR we need to revert back to the old system.  

4 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Actually you might not be too far from the truth.  

I've been brooding more and more over the fact that the BR port battle change killed this game, in the big picture.  Don't get me wrong...I like the change, but I think changing to a BR port battle along with clan owned ports inherently shifted this game towards more of a clan based system, but unfortunately the game did not go far enough into the clan based system and this limbo is hurting us.  Look at most nations.  Internal strife, clans vs clans is tearing them apart and they are mostly RVR non-functional.  Some of the smaller nations are better off because only a handful of clans run them and work together.  Russia worked back in the day because it was really only 3 clans that did things and we all worked together.  Prussia works because it's only a couple clans.  Larger nations with more actors and clans going in several different directions just doesn't work.  At least when we had the 25man system and national owned ports, there was a common goal.  Now not so much.

So basically we either need to more towards more of a clan based system, get rid of nations and focus on clan alliances   OR we need to revert back to the old system.  

BR limit was one of the best changes regarding RvR in my opinion, For deep water ports it worked well. Small clans got access to pbs (5-10 players because of some port BRs) But what kills this idea is screening.  You can have a pb that fits to the clan size but on the way to the port the clan has to pass 4 nations that screen and have 5times the numbers. So why  bother attacking because you will never reach the port. As long we had the exploits to reach the pbs we had more pbs after that got fixed it decreased. So is it because of the port BR limits or because the system to enter  the pbs is shit?

Ofc "screening " is a major part it let clans win the pb before the battle is actually fought thats why everybody loves it ... but actually it hurts rvr more than it benefits. Why bother why  do hositlity when you will never reach the port on the battle date? Majority of players here fight to win even they say they dont.

The RvR system... well it's really stale, the boredom of grinding hostility, no defenders, getting screened out by small ships who just fire away from a distance to keep you in the battle. And then, why anyway? Most ports don't offer any benefit, quite the opposite.

Introduce victory conditions and reset the map when one of the nations achieves a certain amount of points? Give the ability to 'surrender', based on ports/ships lost, to a nation that will give them some time to recover? Look at the major ports, they don't change hands since it's nearly impossible to take those ports.

2 minutes ago, Le Raf Boom said:

The RvR system... well it's really stale, the boredom of grinding hostility, no defenders, getting screened out by small ships who just fire away from a distance to keep you in the battle. And then, why anyway? Most ports don't offer any benefit, quite the opposite.

Introduce victory conditions and reset the map when one of the nations achieves a certain amount of points? Give the ability to 'surrender', based on ports/ships lost, to a nation that will give them some time to recover? Look at the major ports, they don't change hands since it's nearly impossible to take those ports.

I agree and disagree.

Major ports don't change hands because players create alliances to prevent them from changing hands. It's nearly impossible to take these ports because the owning party usually makes it impossible.

I do agree with the boredom of hostility grinding, that is a major factor ,from my viewpoint, that is creating such a stale rvr environment.

Just now, z4ys said:

is even less motivation :D

Agreed.

People don't want to play a map reset game. It would just promote joining the winning side, an example is the US clan joining France and becoming UWS. 

They could have picked any other nation, heck they could have stayed USA, but they don't want a hard challenge, they want the win. And everyone wants the win, just some groups are more stubborn in their goals then others.

30 minutes ago, z4ys said:

BR limit was one of the best changes regarding RvR in my opinion, For deep water ports it worked well. Small clans got access to pbs (5-10 players because of some port BRs) But what kills this idea is screening.  You can have a pb that fits to the clan size but on the way to the port the clan has to pass 4 nations that screen and have 5times the numbers. So why  bother attacking because you will never reach the port. As long we had the exploits to reach the pbs we had more pbs after that got fixed it decreased. So is it because of the port BR limits or because the system to enter  the pbs is shit?

Ofc "screening " is a major part it let clans win the pb before the battle is actually fought thats why everybody loves it ... but actually it hurts rvr more than it benefits. Why bother why  do hositlity when you will never reach the port on the battle date? Majority of players here fight to win even they say they dont.

I agree with you, but I don't think the game went far enough in regards to the clan based system.  We're stuck in this limbo currently where nations are supposed to matter, but they really don't.  Especially with the amount of alts that people use.  Let's take my guys for example.  We operate within the nation, but not really.  We have no need of national ports (currently) and the ports we need resources from can be gotten through alts.  In fact the french taking most of coastline from the US has made it easier for us to get woods, less competition.  Effectively we are our own little nation.  I don't even have Ctown as a port.  I feel like most clans operate this way.  The larger nations all have internal strife that just cause people to leave.  GB, US, Pirates...even France has some rogue clan issues.  

The nation system, in this current iteration of the game anyway, is dead.  We need to trim back the importance of nations ( and the number of them) and move towards for of a clan based system.  I feel like when we drop them the game will be much better off.  Let nations simply be a backdrop as like a "starting race" in other games

I wonder...if NA had 3000 people playing everyday - how very  different the forums would be, how many issues would disappear and what kind of new rhetoric would ensue. Perhaps we will see one day. Never get 3000 you say? lol I have seen stranger things happen online. Ever hopeful - always Pirate.

20 minutes ago, Headless Parrot said:

if NA had 3000 people playing everyday...

Quite possible. I can remember a time, when you had to wait more than 30 mins to be able to log in on PvP1, because the limit of 2500 (iirc) players per server was reached. We had PvP2 and even a PvP3 back then...

Edited by Archer11

1 hour ago, Headless Parrot said:

I wonder...if NA had 3000 people playing everyday - how very  different the forums would be, how many issues would disappear and what kind of new rhetoric would ensue. Perhaps we will see one day. Never get 3000 you say? lol I have seen stranger things happen online. Ever hopeful - always Pirate.

We lost that many players for a reason. The game is currently designed that every new player gets farmed by the PvP-crowd eventually. You need to be really toughskinned to get over that phase till you can compete with those guys. 99% never make it that far.

6 minutes ago, Nelsons Barrel said:

We lost that many players for a reason. The game is currently designed that every new player gets farmed by the PvP-crowd eventually. You need to be really toughskinned to get over that phase till you can compete with those guys. 99% never make it that far.

Might be one of the reasons..The others are more important.

14 minutes ago, Fenris said:

Might be one of the reasons..The others are more important.

Don't be naive. There are always many reasons why players leave. To discuss what is most important and what not of those is just a waste of time as every fix of one reason would improve the situation. Now go on in your pessimistic worldview.