Game-Labs Forum

Rules for player names ?

I really have no problem with people using whatever player names they want.  Make a reasonable length requirement, disallow symbols, and allow players to report names that are racist, vulgar, etc.  Other than that, I don't mind sending a 12 lb shot up the transom of Capt. Duckphart to see if he starts whistling.  Besides, this will allow for another layer of personalization that possibly can be turned off (if you don't want to see every captain/ship name on your screen during battle).  However, people with the same screen name for multiple different games will still be recognized by their friends...as long as that screen name is somewhat appropriate.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I have never played WoW (but i have played warcraft 1-3  :)  ) but i guess  Blizzard know what could be problematic, so why don't you take a look at https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/naming-policy  and adopt some of rules?

Besides, please pay attention to the potential problem of enemy or ally identification, so well-known to PotbS veterans.

"Target that Peter / Piotrek / Питер / 彼得 / ਪਤਰਸ ਨੂੰ !!!"

Can we have numbers above nicknames in battle?

There exist/existed games the programm presented for the char-creation names as suggestions, like for the MMOG SWG (Starwars Galaxies) there those names fit to the 'race' and gender. Sure you could also give an 'own' name to your char but then that one was really examined. As i tried this game i saw many players with obviously those suggested names (most roleplayers ;)). But its a long time ago.^^

Perhaps here could also be a name-generator with pre- and surnames, and names created by players will also been examined. I would like it, but its not a must be for me. Anyway such a game with historical background with really fitting names would be something quite fine, would be also a game-rule.

Computergames are a bit curious, for all tabletop- or boardgames, or any other non-computergames, sports.... players have no real problems to handle game-rules, perhaps only if they are not able to understand those. For computergames there is often/most demanded not freedom, more a purest arbitrariness in the game-rules!

Anyway, i have nothing against own created charnames, but a bit control should be and its better before a char is played some days.

For battles you could be perhaps able to shift between names and 'nation', so you only read par example 'spanish frigate' or more only an info about the foe.

Clear, if we play 'nations' then there should be alliances possible, war and peace, even neutrality.

MWO made that mistake by trying to hold open the proverbial door for the "real customers" - and are now are sitting with an atrocious retention rate.  All their early founders they alienated?  They all spent thousands on Star Citizen in stead.

Do I know you?

You certainly seem to know me....

A part of me thinks that the suspense of not knowing who you are battling with would be great. However, I would like to know who it was after the battle finished. In general, I don't think we can limit every name that isn't period correct. There needs to be some freedom to choose your name except if the names are vulgar or offensive.

• 1 month later...

I recently played a game with a player named "Dildo Faggins Deputy AnalRapist" - could the player please change their name as it's offensive.

I saw this to and was quite shocked. Though not a prude or stranger to such language, I think some filter has to be put in place.

I'm all for preselecting your name from a list, if that list is large enough (ehm... download a phone book?)

About middle names, or the first-middle-last name composition:

Take note that in the English sphere of influence yes it is common to use one middle name and one last name.

However in some Catholic areas, people have TWO middle names. (I have 2 middle names myself)

Some Spanish and Portuguese use TWO last names.

With that I'm more in favor of staying with KISS, and perhaps use a First-Nick-Last setup. (nick = nick name, "Bubba", "Red", "Scarface", "Butterface",...)

Or if you want to keep it real simple just First+Last, but I favor having a nickname as well. (which would have to be heavily filtered against)

I saw this to and was quite shocked. Though not a prude or stranger to such language, I think some filter has to be put in place.

I lolled pretty hard at the name.

But I'd wanna see it filtered/changed just the same because mah immersionz. 

I did have a pretty good laugh last night because of "Dildo Faggins Deputy AnalRapist"...    I had to type his name several times, laughing each time.

No Dildo, you don't have to do that...

Yes Dildo, you can repair your sails

Get back here Dildo...

He's a new player by his ship and questions.

But yeah, I think that's a good example.  (oh I'm laughing again)

• Like 2

I did have a pretty good laugh last night because of "Dildo Faggins Deputy AnalRapist"...    I had to type his name several times, laughing each time.

Get back here Dildo...

n504167fd3ab98.jpg

Indeed, forums are usually mature and nice and friendly.....right up until Open Beta and Release, when they turn into a hive of scum and villains.

Oh so true....most alpha and closed beta games I've been in were both in game and on message board were far nicer to play in terms of conduct and sportsmanship.

Get back here Dildo...

Yes, he was new......and a Kid...I suggested he change the name before admins did....do not think he will unless made to...

Someone's running around in frigates and their name is "Sloop".

There's nothing wrong with that, but, it threw me off when I first saw it. Even though this game doesn't have a 'sloop' yet, I was confused! And shortly after that he delivered a broadside.

Oh. That wasn't a sloop. :unsure:

• Like 2

How about you can't see player names, but you can see the name of their ship on the stern. (Assuming we're able to name our own ships, and you've got a decent spyglass). You learn who sails the 'USS Get REKT'  and that will be how you identify them.

Of course now we have to watch what odd names people may give their ships. USS Dildo.