Game-Labs Forum

It's Time to Merge the Servers!!

1 hour ago, Cornelis Tromp said:

You mean the train of thought they already abandoned? 

Uh, it hasn't been abandoned.  The whole point of the thread was to discuss it and have people come up with flaws, changes, necessary things.  That has been going on.  Things are changing just as it was planned they would.

Edited by Prater
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cornelis Tromp said:

You mean the train of thought they already abandoned? 

All they have abandoned is the ability of non RvR players to enter any port in any class of ship. They are trying to take onboard what people are saying so if you have a valid point then raise it in that thread. Its in that thread where they mentioned about the 3 hour defense window and thats what led to this thread. 

I hope they develop the thoughts there further and it helps improve the game, there are some interesting ideas. I know some things seem like a backward step but with some changes it may work out totally different. I personally was never a fan of the nightflips/workflips situation but the current solution made me leave PvP1 because even though I am in UK the timers did not suit me.

True. But I think going back to the old situation will result in a lot of people resigning from the game. 

With as a result you would STILL have the same usercounts as PVP Glob now has.

My point is: Let people play the way THEY want. Don't make them play the way you want. 

That's what caused the split in the first place. Now don't come and backtrack that the happy limited tz players should just play in a server where nightbattles/lunchbattles might be an issue. Because I will bet that they will be. Either to attack or defend. It will happen. Look at Global. Most US/AUS tz players are concentrated in US/GB. Nightflipping (night defending) will happen, or you cannot make progress. 

I still don't get why this discussion is opened AGAIN while it has been discussed front and back, up and down, left and right. No concensus can be reached. Let the split be. Make global great, just leave Eu preferred tz players to their game. It has worked so far.

7 hours ago, Bearwall said:

Moronic solution that has already been discussed - the nightflip will guarentee one party 2 wins and the other party will be forced to win 3 times in a row. Completely idiotic and I cannot imagine why such a poor solution keeps being brought up.

NO More moronic then the worthless system we have now..

9 hours ago, Christendom said:

Night flips will soon be gone bud, go read admin's proposed changes.  I feel like 90% of the EU whiners on here haven't actually read his post.  

In particular those guys from Sweden came over because they were upset with the 2 large "Zerg" nations on EU and the lack of content with their carebear agreements.  It took them 2 months to fight each other and while they were holding hands the server lost 50% of it's population out of boredom.  Lol.

Either you haven't read the admins post or you simply haven't thought the ramifications through. You still haven't offered a solution to nightflipping - which will happen no matter if we call the player factions nations, companies, clans or something completely different. So try to be an adult about the server split and make global great rather than pooling all aussie and US players in two factions and the rest go back to EU.

In addition to the simple timezone and player concentration differences, each PvP server has their own culture now, and it would be a shame to forcibly smash the two together. 

No comment on the PvE server as I have never been there, but I'm sure they would not like to be merged either.

• Like 1

Test both, if it seems to work well on global, then merge.

To do it based on assumptions that it's gonna work out well and while hardly even knowing what the conquest system will actually be like is just insane. We're testers, trial and error, not assume and implement.

9 hours ago, The Red Duke said:

Care to explain ? Thank you :) 

Sure. Language is a big part of it, on the EU server people can play in their native language on that same nation's team. On Global pretty much everyone speaks (or attempts to speak) the lingua franca English, so we can understand one another better. I suspect this means people are more likely to change teams, for better or worse.

Each server has their own political history re: the factions and historical slights, real or imagined. It is confusing politically to mash them together.

Aside from all that, my ping is barely acceptable on the Global server (110), it would be very poor playing on EU (200+) or any compromise location (server raft in the Atlantic =p). Not sure why this isn't reason enough...

I play 120 ping on Eu from Canada so its not bad. Anymore than that and there is severe issues playing. Going up to 200 ping would require better latency compensation. 

Well, if it was possible to connect the EU and US server but without replacing one another, then the EU server could get a map of europe and the US would keep the caribbean map. If a player left europe to sail to the caribbean, he would automatically switch to the US server. If he sailed back to old britain, he would switch back to the EU based server. 

It's a compromise, cause players could go and stay where they've the best ping but with the option to change if they so desire. 

Edited by HarryButpain

9 hours ago, HarryButpain said:

Well, if it was possible to connect the EU and US server but without replacing one another, then the EU server could get a map of europe and the US would keep the caribbean map. If a player left europe to sail to the caribbean, he would automatically switch to the US server. If he sailed back to old britain, he would switch back to the EU based server. 

It's a compromise, cause players could go and stay where they've the best ping but with the option to change if they so desire. 

Would work if you had a huge population, but the main reason people want the current servers to merge is to try and get a bigger population on one server. Bringing in another map will spread the population out even more. If each server had 2500 people on regularly then there would be no calls for a server merge.

5 hours ago, Archaos said:

Would work if you had a huge population, but the main reason people want the current servers to merge is to try and get a bigger population on one server. Bringing in another map will spread the population out even more. If each server had 2500 people on regularly then there would be no calls for a server merge.

What I meant is that if it was possible to allow players to switch servers by simply sailing far enough west (EU->CAR) or east (CAR->EU), ppl could freely choose on which server they wanna play. 

If we merged all servers regardless if some people can play on a different server or not, you would upset those ppl who cannot play due to latency issues. If both servers were connected, ppl could choose on their own. 

Edited by HarryButpain