Game-Labs Forum

Patch 10.4 Conquest changes, Battle Groups, Wapen von Hamburg (III)

admin

1 hour ago, Capn Rocko said:

If I am reading this right, the new "battle group" system will nerf screening. All the attacking fleet has to do is unfleet and they can avoid getting sucked into a screen battle. Thus, many more players will get through screens because screen battles will now be 1v1 instead of big group battles. Or am I missing something here?

That is a good point, what is the minimum size of a Battle Group? What if the the attackers had 40 ships and grouped them into 20 Battle Groups of 2 ships each, could the defenders know that in advance so that they too could split up their defending Battle Group? Imagine a 25 ship screening fleet tagging an incoming fleet only to find that they get 2 ships tagged because that is the BG they tagged.

3 hours ago, Rouleur said:

CMs and VMs:

Getting rid of Conquest Marks (CMs) is a good thing - it created all sorts of perverse incentives and toxic play. The Victory Marks (VMs) may become a mini but lesser version of the same. It feels like an incentive to seal club weak nations which is not something I want to do or be the victim of. Previously you could build no 3rd to 1st rates without CMs, now you can't build everyone's favourite 3rd rate (Bellona) and much more importantly the shallow ship of choice - the Heavy Rattlesnake. We will see how it works out in a few weeks.

Cloaking and warp speed:

Helping the prospects of avoiding the revenge fleet is only reasonable when the invisibility gank is also nerfed - the reverse is the case. Now you can hyper cruise away invisible, then hyper cruise up to your next victim whilst invisible, park alongside and gank/join a visible bait ship. Any system that allows an invisible enhanced speed approach is clearly unfair on the victim. The current practice of parking in an instance until the alt spy spots for next victim to which you can now hyper cruise is now much much worse. 

If a fast instance exit is offered it should not be possible for any ship within visible range at the end of the hyper cruise to be tagged by a ship or fleet exiting invisibility or to join an instance created by a visible ship - meaning there must be a timer after invisibility has finished longer than the join timer for an instance in open world.

Someone once proposed duel invisibility - while you are escaping invisible, other ships on the OW are also invisible to you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slamz said:

Yes but it should be 7 teams trying to kill that 1 team and Victories can be made with Combat Marks now.

The old status quo of two giant teams being friends should be dead. The #2 team has a huge incentive to kill the #1 team and it will be hard to pay them off to stay friends. The winning team is going to need every advantage they can get because they are the new beat-down target.

It also encourages fighting.  While the largest nation can get the most points just by ports it owns and still have more ports, but the most active nation that wins the mot battles can actually get more points and win the map for the week.  It also counts picking your target wisely.   As some regions are worth more than others.  A small nation can control some key regions and have only a few and still have more starting points than say a nation that has twice as many regions than they own.  

Though I still think the two or three big nations will prob win almost every time, though this gives the small guys a chance cause if they are more active one week they can win points.  Cause say pirates take a week off from RVR and French take a bunch of ports that week.  They could actively get more points to be that weeks winners.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

It also encourages fighting.  While the largest nation can get the most points just by ports it owns and still have more ports, but the most active nation that wins the mot battles can actually get more points and win the map for the week.  It also counts picking your target wisely.   As some regions are worth more than others.  A small nation can control some key regions and have only a few and still have more starting points than say a nation that has twice as many regions than they own.  

Though I still think the two or three big nations will prob win almost every time, though this gives the small guys a chance cause if they are more active one week they can win points.  Cause say pirates take a week off from RVR and French take a bunch of ports that week.  They could actively get more points to be that weeks winners.

They should run through the figures since the wipe and show what it would have been like under this system. Which nations would have won each week.

I guess the other point to consider is that even if a small nation wins one week they will still get less VM's due to having less players. Big nation has 500 players active in past 14 days and wins, nation gets 500 VM's, small nation with 100 active players wins next week, they only get 100 VM's.

8 minutes ago, Archaos said:

They should run through the figures since the wipe and show what it would have been like under this system. Which nations would have won each week.

I guess the other point to consider is that even if a small nation wins one week they will still get less VM's due to having less players. Big nation has 500 players active in past 14 days and wins, nation gets 500 VM's, small nation with 100 active players wins next week, they only get 100 VM's.

The other thing is a bunch of small nations can attack a big nations.  You loose 2 points per loss and add all that up they can push a small nation up past the big nation and into the leader spot by helping each other that way. 

1 minute ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

The other thing is a bunch of small nations can attack a big nations.  You loose 2 points per loss and add all that up they can push a small nation up past the big nation and into the leader spot by helping each other that way. 

The problem, at least on PvP Global, is that all the smaller nations are afraid the attack the big nations and prefer to pick on each other.

23 minutes ago, Archaos said:

The problem, at least on PvP Global, is that all the smaller nations are afraid the attack the big nations and prefer to pick on each other.

Most of the smaller nations are now tied up with treaty or alliance between each other, and the only "big nation" is on the other side of the map from most of us, too far away to support a successful hostility grinding fleet and trying to sail a PB fleet that far is a big LOL. 

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)

9 hours ago, admin said:

Good day Captains

Patch is being deployed to live servers

What's new:

• Conquest mechanics changed. 
    • Conquest marks converted to combat marks at 10 combat per conquest mark
    • New mark added - Victory Mark (pve server will receive a combat mark to victory mark conversion)
    • Victory mark will be granted for map wins (not port battles) using the legacy system (old control will move to the next round)
    • The whole nation (captains who logged in during last 14 days) will receive a victory mark if their nation wins the map
    • Map is won by the nation having largest number of conquest points. 
    • Points are received from 3 sources: 
      • port control - nation gets 1 point for most ports, 3 points for important ports:
        • Santo Domingo
        • Cartagena de Indias
        • San Juan
        • Port au prince
        • San Iago
        • Morgan Bluff
        • Vera Cruz
        • Campeche
        • Nouvelle Orleans
        • Bridge town
        • Road Town 
      • wins - nation gets 1 point per win
      • losses - nation loses 2 points per port loss
      • This reduces the incentives for port trading as you lose a lot more points by trading ports
        • Current map win cycle is set at 1 week for testing

@admin I love this game, I really do, but you really make it feel like punishment to play. This patch has so much going for it, but THIS?!?!

This is a giant screw you to any of the smaller nations. Basically earning victory marks is going to become impossible. It's a self-perpetuating cycle, the nations that can't earn marks won't be able to build the ships that even give them a chance to even win victory marks.

These important ports, I know you are going for historical relevence, which normally  I would agree with, but in this instance it's foolish. Make them distributed even across the map so that ALL nations have an even chance of capturing and holding these ports.

...also all Captains who login in get victory marks... that is just going to encourage more ALT accounts you buy one join the winning team, and login in to collect your marks that someone else earned.... 

Edited by theprof739
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mrgoldstein said:

Come to the EU then, more players more fun, here everyone fights everyone :) 

Get rid of the limited PB window, so we can expect being more than a 2nd rate player over there, and we might reconsider ;)

Edited by Serk
  • Like 2

Shouldn't the PVE server get a boost in combat marks since that is now the only way for them to get the new Victory Mark? A permit for the HMS Victory is 350 Combat and the Santisima is 1500 Combat by the time you exchange for Victory Marks. 

24 minutes ago, Sven Silberbart said:

This Invisibility Turbo is th enext thing to make noone is able to catch the other. 15 kn cap was the first step to decrease pvp. Whats next?

only players waiting outside for someone to appear from a battle are not going to be able to catch them.

• Like 2

I've been seriously considering going from us to Great Britain because they have more ports. With this patch I feel that's what the developers want me to do so HAIL TO THE QUEEN!!!

Edited by Sea Fox
  • Like 1

My first suggestion is to burn the damn permits. But since that is not likely to happen how about a 50 level crafter being able to get the permits at a discount? Otherwise you might as well remove the crafting level permanently because it really doesn't mean anything

We have tested this invis turbo it this evening.

This is the perfect Gank Support by Game System. We tagged directly in front of KPR. We didnt expect any danger. And that was right. Noone has the chance to catch us. Before we did that, we tried to tack a pirate frigate 15 kn. No Chance because of 15 kn equal speed "feature". The same with surprise and Endymion. This game goes more and more to PvE. Maybe we dont need a PvE Server in future, the PvP Server goes PvE atm.

Edited by Sven Silberbart

10 hours ago, admin said:
  • Victory mark will be granted for map wins (not port battles) using the legacy system (old control will move to the next round)
  • The whole nation (captains who logged in during last 14 days) will receive a victory mark if their nation wins the map
  • Map is won by the nation having largest number of conquest points. 

I m not sure to understand:

only the best nation will won some victory mark?

1 mark by captains who logged in during last 14 days?

Hello devs & community.

This patch is one of the "greatest" patch forever: Now all ships have after a battle a "nice motor", all the crying babes now can gank and flee everytime. And nice fights will not be, because all players you want to hunt will counter-attack you far... far away. Nice Job, devs! Now the PVP is death. It seams, that pvp will be sanctioned by:
- speed cap
- invisibility
- speed after battle
- leveling ships with pve
- only PB will be developed (it looks like a battle group ^^) a.s.o.

Guys, not the mallet is the right method - please balance this game with flair.

I'm very disappointed
Jakob

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Prater said:

Fixing the 15 knot meta will take more than removing the speed cap.  There will actually still be a speed meta if all they do is remove the cap, it will just be a 17 or 16 or 18 knots meta then.

You cant fix the speed meta, cause there is nothing broken. OW PvP ships will always be fast and its nothing wrong with that. The difference is that ships are able to catch each other. And when fast ships will catch you nevertheless, you dont need to build your ship as fast as possible. And faster ships will be weaker. Currently i can get my Teak/Bermuda Bellona to the same speed as a Renommee.

Edited by Fargo

2 hours ago, Prater said:

Fixing the 15 knot meta will take more than removing the speed cap.  There will actually still be a speed meta if all they do is remove the cap, it will just be a 17 or 16 or 18 knots meta then.

Instead of making it a flat speed cap for all ships the speed cap should be per ships.  Like only 2 knts or something from base speed with wood build or a percenatage cap like all the other stats. has.  20% is the Cap for HP and Armor Thickness.  Maybe 20% cap on speed for all ships would work to cause to get 15 Knts on some shisp you need to stack more than that to get it.  Though this could be tweaked down to 15% or 10%.  Though I think 20% would be good.  We will still have some ships faster than 15 knts, but they have to be really week ships to do that.  They need can also put penalit's on things like mast and such for speed stacks, make the ships way weaker.  I think every one was demasting the first week cause there was really no other way to slow down all these speed ships and still isn't.  Well other than blowing there top mast tips off so you can catch up to them, but super laser 4 gun Surprises will kill your top mast before you can kill it.  The laser accuracy of rear guns needs to be changed too.

20 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Currently i can get my Teak/Bermuda Bellona to the same speed as a Renommee.

Yes. Unbeliveable. In this state of the game I should go with 15kn belona gank some traders in front of enemies capitol. Its easy..

Invis and Turbo Speed + 15kn cap + Counter Tags far away

..saves my live. No danger anymore. Nowhere. My 15 kn Bellona has nothing to fear, but some unexpected shallows

Edited by Sven Silberbart
  • Like 1