Game-Labs Forum

Pirate Punch in the Gut

As a Long time Pirate ...well over a Year , That's what it felt like today as I was on the test server trying a few changes and lost the Connie I had....a Punch in the Gut!!!...why you ask ???

Well for the past 2 weeks or so I established a couple of resource buildings in what few areas Pirates get to have, we are NATs I think in the DEVs eyes but a bit more penalized , will explain later.....so anyways took what money because of the expenses I paid to get some ports established and buildings, no workshop yet or shipyard ..still working on the resources. and got that Connie to GRIND some missions ..grrrrrrrrrrr hate the grind....well on the way out of the Mort area....seeing Pirates just hanging around and was like hmmmmmm....and spotted an LGV and was like ok I will get that NPC LGV on way out to my mission and try the only cannons I could get on my Connie out and get XP up on a Connie...Mediums and only enough gold for bottom...so seriously under gunned if any issues....Got the LGV in a fight and a couple Spainards drop in to get me...I was like crap might as well fight it out to the death as I wasn't getting away...about 20 minutes later I be back in Mort Connieless and like ok cool PvP..Love it :) that's what we here for....later on took a Frigate out to get back grinding for GP as I am very low now...just over 2k left, not even enough for any repairs if needed.....just outside Mort I get tagged by a Pirate...yes its that's new Pirate Mechanic..cool...then 5 more Pirates join in...hmmm I am like naw not for me yet as I cant afford to lose anything, pretty short on funds...so I try again to leave out of Mort..BAM hit again by Pirates..CRAP!!!!!....no good now...now I gotta seriously start grinding again in cutter and hopefully not get jumped in cutter by fellow Pirates as I try and get away from Mort....LOL

Bottom line is losing Connie no Big deal as it was store bought, but what hit me was hmmmm what will new Pirates be thinking if something like this happens to them over and over and just in the Mort area....will they get so frustrated because fellow Pirate or National ALT Pirates keep a Pirate Port locked down because of this new mechanic?  what will happen to the Pirate side ? will we become unicorns and be that fairy tale beast seen or thought we was seen ? :)

What happened set me back to basically trying to get started again, no big deal for me as I enjoy challenges...but I got to thinking about a new Pirate or player on the Pirate side and it just Punched me in the GUT!!!!...I think the Devs are trying to kill us off was my first reaction LOL!!! crazy huh ? :)

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Mike the Mongel said:

LOL!!! nooo that was earlier when 3 jumped in :P...but what is your point ?

none really

but yea pirate gameplay will be pretty hardcore from now on

And the toxicity level of pirate 'nation' chat will be extremely high. Not comparable to global.

Edited by Liquicity
  • Like 4

I think I know who killed your connie^^ Many Danes have taken up the Spanish Flag on the Testbed server.

To the point of Pirates being hard: What if you couldn't choose pirates from the beginning. You had to start as a national and grind to a certain level before joining pirates?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

To the point of Pirates being hard: What if you couldn't choose pirates from the beginning. You had to start as a national and grind to a certain level before joining pirates?

I dont think that matches with the devs idea of new players being able to choose to play as pirates if they want to, because, you know, who doesn't want to be a pirate :P

2 minutes ago, Liquicity said:

I dont think that matches with the devs idea of new players being able to choose to play as pirates if they want to, because, you know, who doesn't want to be a pirate :P

I blame Disney.

But you would still be able to play pirate, only you could only choose it if you were a certain rank or you had to start as National. We could get the "attack friendly to become pirate"-option back now that we will get an item to switch nations again if someone does it by mistake. 

• Like 2

Alts will be mostly using pirate vs pirate.

Basically pirates are like nats, and if they start to fight each other, they will have hard time defending their ports.  PvsP was enabled before as well, and immediately when pirates started to disagree with each other, have a small civil war, pirates started to lose ports.  Pirates probably have to work together like other nats.

So in the long run, attacking other pirates will be "kinda" difficult.

The Pirates that did the same to us and shut down the Pirate port today were Russian, so it is a mixture of many different players/nations. I think Liquicity is right, being a Pirate will be hardcore, unforgiving and ruthless. It wont be a life for the average player.

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, Headless Parrot said:

The Pirates that did the same to us and shut down the Pirate port today were Russian, so it is a mixture of many different players/nations. I think Liquicity is right, being a Pirate will be hardcore, unforgiving and ruthless. It wont be a life for the average player.

That is exactly true which is why I think we will be far and few if certain changes or additions are not made maybe

Edited by Mike the Mongel

1 hour ago, Mike the Mongel said:

As a Long time Pirate ...well over a Year , That's what it felt like today as I was on the test server trying a few changes and lost the Connie I had....a Punch in the Gut!!!...why you ask ???

Well for the past 2 weeks or so I established a couple of resource buildings in what few areas Pirates get to have, we are NATs I think in the DEVs eyes but a bit more penalized , will explain later.....so anyways took what money because of the expenses I paid to get some ports established and buildings, no workshop yet or shipyard ..still working on the resources. and got that Connie to GRIND some missions ..grrrrrrrrrrr hate the grind....well on the way out of the Mort area....seeing Pirates just hanging around and was like hmmmmmm....and spotted an LGV and was like ok I will get that NPC LGV on way out to my mission and try the only cannons I could get on my Connie out and get XP up on a Connie...Mediums and only enough gold for bottom...so seriously under gunned if any issues....Got the LGV in a fight and a couple Spainards drop in to get me...I was like crap might as well fight it out to the death as I wasn't getting away...about 20 minutes later I be back in Mort Connieless and like ok cool PvP..Love it :) that's what we here for....later on took a Frigate out to get back grinding for GP as I am very low now...just over 2k left, not even enough for any repairs if needed.....just outside Mort I get tagged by a Pirate...yes its that's new Pirate Mechanic..cool...then 5 more Pirates join in...hmmm I am like naw not for me yet as I cant afford to lose anything, pretty short on funds...so I try again to leave out of Mort..BAM hit again by Pirates..CRAP!!!!!....no good now...now I gotta seriously start grinding again in cutter and hopefully not get jumped in cutter by fellow Pirates as I try and get away from Mort....LOL

Bottom line is losing Connie no Big deal as it was store bought, but what hit me was hmmmm what will new Pirates be thinking if something like this happens to them over and over and just in the Mort area....will they get so frustrated because fellow Pirate or National ALT Pirates keep a Pirate Port locked down because of this new mechanic?  what will happen to the Pirate side ? will we become unicorns and be that fairy tale beast seen or thought we was seen ? :)

What happened set me back to basically trying to get started again, no big deal for me as I enjoy challenges...but I got to thinking about a new Pirate or player on the Pirate side and it just Punched me in the GUT!!!!...I think the Devs are trying to kill us off was my first reaction LOL!!! crazy huh ? :)

Good. now you can stop being a fake nation and go play on "hard" mode. thats why you joined them after all isnt it? 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Mike the Mongel said:

That is exactly true which is why I think we will be far and few if certain changes or additions are not made maybe

pirates were vastly out numbered for reasons... Join a real nation! :D 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OneEyedSnake said:

Good. now you can stop being a fake nation and go play on "hard" mode. thats why you joined them after all isnt it?

All busting chops aside Snake..I don't like you and I know you don't like me..but seriously, it may be a bit skewed if they don't get something right, maybe ?

12 minutes ago, Mike the Mongel said:

All busting chops aside Snake..I don't like you and I know you don't like me..but seriously, it may be a bit skewed if they don't get something right, maybe ?

oh, i actually do like you. but also, no. i dont think pirates were meant to be the pirate nation, otherwise they would be called that. hence why we dutch are called verenigde provincien. devs like their accurate name.

Pirates should be hard to play as. The true pirate lifestyle lies in capturing ships and converting them to their own uses. Raiding NPCs and players alike, fitting out fast ships to nab traders who dare stray into their hunting grounds. Pirates are not merely another nation, they are not a political entity nor should they be conquering ports.

If you want to play a nation with resources, centralized politics, territory and big ships, then play as a nation. If you want to do some difficult and challenging gameplay based upon fast ships, capturing/looting enemies and prowling the high seas, then you should play as a pirate. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, _Masterviolin said:

Pirates should be hard to play as. The true pirate lifestyle lies in capturing ships and converting them to their own uses. Raiding NPCs and players alike, fitting out fast ships to nab traders who dare stray into their hunting grounds. Pirates are not merely another nation, they are not a political entity nor should they be conquering ports.

If you want to play a nation with resources, centralized politics, territory and big ships, then play as a nation. If you want to do some difficult and challenging gameplay based upon fast ships, capturing/looting enemies and prowling the high seas, then you should play as a pirate.

I agree...don't get me wrong, but with the unknowns on how the DEVs want GAME Pirates to be...this aint real life...and with how Pirates are a Nation currently with the mechanics ingame now, but without the bennies NATs get....top that off with how rough its gonna be seriously for new players who want to be Pirates to get going, Blinders off here gents...seriously its gonna suck for new Pirates.( all based on current test bed patches)

Edited by Mike the Mongel

You see, if Devs were smart they could add Reputation to the game. This way even Nats could attack each other with small penalties to rep that later would need to be restored. This way all would be equal. Instead they just made Pirate nations obsolete. 

Edited by Ned Low

So the new way to game the game is use one of your alts to grief fellow pirates lol. NA gets better every day.

Unfortunately since quiting but still following the game in hopes it will improve overall but 9 out of every 10 things I read is another stupid mechanic to either aid the weak or bad players or to allow people to grief people all day. This post seems to be the nail in the coffin if it holds true.  

At least my departure will make the carebear clicker crowd happy because nobody will be here to point out how poor they have made this game become.

Salute to all the guys i knew on pvp 2 who are still left. Cya.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OneEyedSnake said:

Pirates should be fun to play actually B)  As for "hard mode" that's just another *#@* meme that certain members of community repeat for some reason ("pop will magically rise with release" is another one)

Edited by Zoky

16 hours ago, Headless Parrot said:

i don't think it has anything to do with being "hardcore" but rather just plain STUPID game design. Keeping pirate v. pirate battles open for 90min is going to be a massive exploit and griefing fest. If you wanted it to be "hardcore" then those battles should play by the same RoE and timer limits as every other engagement in game. Having a pirate alt so you can use him to tag pirates while your national buddies hide in a loading screen waiting to join isn't smart design. Furthermore, it simply puts an emphasis on what pirate clan has the most numbers so they can zerg other pirates in fights and not need to worry about skill. 90 minutes is just way too long of a timer. I've played pirate forever but won't be after wipe if that 90min join timer stays....has nothing to do with hardcore....it's just fricking stupid.

• Like 2

Currently on testbed many of the pirates are nationals who rolled pirate and are just using the system for easy pvp. It's tough to find action without sailing for an hour to an enemy capitol to pick a fight. Especially with the population on test bed. Much easier to hang around your own capitol and jump other pirates. When patch goes live these guys will go back to their nations and it will be the same as it was back when there was pirate vs pirate on the main server. Only when the EA first started was there a ton of pirate on pirate action. After clans became established they didn't put up with pirates pulling that crap around the capitol. Griefers were hunted down until they got the point. Most were new players. Who knows though. Might be different with the amount of alts players have now a days.