Game-Labs Forum

Kickstarter ship packs poll (redux)

Kickstarter ship packs poll (redux)  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which ship pack(s) would you be willing to contribute too? (pick all that apply)

• Britain
    • Denmark
    • France
    • Italy
    • Netherlands (Seven Provinces)
    • Portugal
    • Spain
    • Sweden
    • Turkey (Ottoman)
    • USA (with Constitution redo)
    • Other - indicate which in a reply
    • None
  2. 2. How much would you be willing to contribute for each pack of... 4 ships per pack?

• $15 or more
    • $10 to $15
    • $5 to $10
    • $1 to $5
    • Nothing
  3. 3. Would you be willing to fund kickstarter projects for port building structures better themed to the different nationalities?

• Yes - let's discuss this further
    • No - forget it

If they are intent on doing it by nation, then I'd be up for Danish, Dutch, Spanish and Swedish packs, who are almost entirely unrepresented as of the moment.

42 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

I'd like to see more sloops and more trade ships with side guns. :)

Myself as well. I love the smaller ships and my gut feeling is that they should be the most prevalent ships, with the greatest variety and choice - it is a shame we're missing widely built and used ships such as the Royal Navy's Cruizer brig-sloops. A trading ship (with guns) I'd love to see is HMS Halifax/Nova Scotia Packet. It might only carry 6 guns, and those were originally 3pdrs (I'm sure GL can fit it with 4pdrs), but it'd be lovely little armed trading ship. It would also be rather nice to see some smaller ships from early on in the timeline, such as the rather pretty Peregrine.

Either way, I'm willing to buy ship packs if GL do go down this Kickstarter route for them.

Edited by Rikard Frederiksen
  • Like 1

Devs take note!  You got a lot of players willing to pad your pockets with money.  Even if its just a $5 dollar donation, from a bunch of players.  Very few voters here have chosen not to participate in a kick starter. 

You could also sell me paints, decals and figureheads for our ships.  People will pay for eye candy. 

Edited by Yar Matey
  • Like 4

Just now, Yar Matey said:

Devs take note!  You got a lot of players willing to pad your pockets with money.

Heh - I really don't think its a matter of padding dev pockets. More likely they know more ships are wanted, but cannot justify supplying more on their dime. The kickstarters will just provide the funding needed to pay the people who'll do the designing and 3D modelling.

On 1/23/2017 at 4:23 AM, JollyRoger1516 said:

Every nation is fine. And I would surely support more ships especially considering we could get the fancy rare ones or historically important ones going then. However I would only be for this under 3 conditions.

1. Fixing ship models is NOT tied to additional funding - that is like paying twice for the same ship... (i.e. I would pay for a US ship pack but not if a Connie fix only happens with that pack)
  2. All ships are craftable and the blueprint is learned via normal measures and not tied to events or giveaways!
  3. All ships are accessible by all players whether they paid for it or not. (This is voluntary funding and although that would allow people to profit from others money it will prevent ending up in a pay to win scenario!)

About #1:

Although I would consider paying (a smaller amount) to fix the Connie, I don't want the kickstarter campaigns to be about fixing things. The Devs should get things right based on our initial game purchase.

Totally agree with #2.

About #3:

I have the opposite opinion. The result of the kickstarter should initially be the benefit of the funders. The new content would then slowly(?) spread through the game after ship builds, captures, and sales.

• Like 1

+1 Another yes vote for ship packs whether by Nationality or by ship type/class.

@Lord Vicious I agree that the pirates could use a historic ship like QAR. Would certainly be better than generic pirate frigate. QAR with several smaller sloops and schooners would be nice. Maybe even well known privateers too.

On the Connie rebuild - cash grab it may be, but it is not like they are spending everyone's cash for it - just the players that really want to see it done. It does not have to be tied to US ship pack - just make it one level of support on KS or a separate KS - someone could choose Dutch ship pack or Connie rebuild or both, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeRuyter said:

+1 Another yes vote for ship packs whether by Nationality or by ship type/class.

@Lord Vicious I agree that the pirates could use a historic ship like QAR. Would certainly be better than generic pirate frigate. QAR with several smaller sloops and schooners would be nice. Maybe even well known privateers too.

On the Connie rebuild - cash grab it may be, but it is not like they are spending everyone's cash for it - just the players that really want to see it done. It does not have to be tied to US ship pack - just make it one level of support on KS or a separate KS - someone could choose Dutch ship pack or Connie rebuild or both, etc.

a mixed pack would be more interesting

conny

queens ann

san felipe?

christiansted?

wasa?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Farrago said:

About #3:

I have the opposite opinion. The result of the kickstarter should initially be the benefit of the funders. The new content would then slowly(?) spread through the game after ship builds, captures, and sales.

I could agree to a headstart of 2 maybe even 4 weeks for the players that funded the pack but after that the blueprint should be fully accessible for everyone!

50 minutes ago, JollyRoger1516 said:

I could agree to a headstart of 2 maybe even 4 weeks for the players that funded the pack but after that the blueprint should be fully accessible for everyone!

That sounds fair assuming you mean folks who qualify for the BP, that is, they've done the previous leveling construction on ships that lead up to that BP.

• Like 1

I believe it's really sad to have just one spanish ship, especially when we talk about one of the most powerful navies in the history.

For me it's also very unfair the lack of dutch,swedish and danish ships.

Edited by Pablo Frias
  • Like 2

I will fund:

-Pirate Ships

-USA Ships

-French Ships

-Spanish Ships

-British Ships

-HI Res textures for complete land revamp. (I do not like what we have now.) 

-Hi Res/detailed structures.

-Loot Content (Will pay big $$$ for Junk loot similar to POTBS)

Edited by Ned Loe

40 minutes ago, Ned Loe said:

They should be Pirate Refits. Or any ship in the game can be refitted with let's say few extra guns, but less armor + penalties. 

Where are you going to put guns on a Trinc?

The supposed pirate modifications aren't really relevant for a flush-decked mid-1700s warship. What pirates did to the slow pig 1600s merchant vessels they captured is another story.

4 minutes ago, maturin said:

Where are you going to put guns on a Trinc?

Larger guns then? It would effect speed and other qualities, but add much more firepower? Just an idea. 

Stripped ships would be awesome as well. Remove guns and make it a hauler. 

Edited by Ned Loe

Where are the pirates going to get 24lbers?

I agree that we just need a Conni replacement, not a whole US ship pack.  Focus on other nations.

But people who say the US played an irrelevant role and barely in the time period and are therefore over represented don't know what they are talking about.  In the early 1800s around the time of the 1812 war, the US was 2nd in merchant shipping, had over 10,000 vessels, 69,000 seamen, and shipped over 1 million metric tons a year.  The NE was heavily involved in shipbuilding, and the capture of the USS President in the 1812 war led the British to make design changes to their heavy frigates.  All this by, what at the time was, a small and new nation.  Let us also not forget who we come from, the British, and their naval tradition was ingrained in us.  All our major cities were ports with major shipbuilding and shipping operations, and due to our mostly neutral positions, meant our shipping was going all over the world.  Further, we had unlimited resources for shipbuilding.  A common sight in that period would be an American brig, similar to the brig in game, or an American Topsail schooner, like the Lynx and others.  While the Navy was small, the "privatized" area was not, and would deal a heavy blow in both the Revolution and War of 1812 to the British merchant marine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kloothommel said:

1, 4 and 6 pounders. Real scary stuff :)

They worked as intended to prize ships. But he had an issue. He had to equip her with whatever cannons he could find and many had measure differences.

In NA we don't have that issue.

Interesting that the QAR is brought up. Biggest ship I could find being sailed by pirates was a 70 gun man'owar. Never used for raiding and abandoned eventually. She had half the cannon when they took her far north of Madagascar.