Game-Labs Forum

What Nation(s) would you want to sail for and be aligned to?

Who would you sail for?  

860 members have voted

1. 1. What Nation(s) would you want to sail for and be aligned to?

• Britain
    • France
    • Denmark - Norway
    • Spain
    • United States
    • Sweden
    • Russia
    • Other

The problem is that as long as there is narrowminded muricans and french and british that only care about themselves, there will be no portuguese ships..nor venetians..nor otomans..nor russians....and the spanish ones will be ''nerfed'' as hell...

waiiiiit...........i forgot....thamit.... russia under peter the great, the one that made a trip to germoney netherlands and britain to learn by his own hands how to make propper ships, and when he got back to russia made the backbone of russias fleet, why did no one spoke about this yet???? comunists???

Não há necessidade absolutamente nenhuma de começar a insultar as outras pessoas, Arlindo. É meio caminho andado para se criar uma imagem negativa dos portugueses, e isso de certeza que não ajuda a tua causa.

Sorry friends, that was a message directed at ArlindoBerto, who I hope will avoid insulting people in the future.

It was not my intention to call comunits to anybody, it was a rectoric question. It is because they are ruski comunists? stalinwood? or because people simply does not know russian history and accept teir efforts in making a navy from scratch?

My point is to put here more potential ships, there is so many out there...sorry if i insulted someone, it was not my intention.

in general, if i get my hands on this game, and for that it must be free to play, i want to play all ships regardless of the nation, i was looking into a game like this for years, even if i understand nothing about sailing.

Well, i alway wanted sail some polish ships. We dont had much between XVII AND XVIII (Firstly, we dont needed big fleet, second - most of ships were partially from two big cities - Gdansk and Elblag, if somwhere, there should we try find some first).

Mostly good know are a circa 300-400 ton galeons , mostly armed in 31 cannons, from middle to low caliber thus weight of shells. We had too a big Mars galeon , not that swedish Mars, from half of XVIII , which had 54 cannons. I am afraid the only thing about him is some survived old modell , if it that Mars. Some say, this was a model of ship , some say it is not a one hundred percent exactly like real ship. Some kind of present or toy. Mayby in some archives will be a secret of this ship, as a frigate named Postillon (Postylon) which we dont know how big was or how many armament had. Still , if i find some good informations , i will mayny do a topic. I think we should have as mqny ship as we can in game.

Therin lies the issue, overwhelming wish to be British, perhaps because they were the best at what they did or perhaps this game attracts the British to play it. Either way if the game has a simple, which Nation do you wish to play option, it will be difficult to find a way to balance the end game mechanics.

A difficult situation, but perhaps the Devs have a clever way to allow disproportionate naval  strength to somehow balance out in the game.

I think a ballance will be not a big issue - of course they will be a problems, but i hope for the best. And mayby they will repair at last that my problem with Steam... I really want buy that game, even if i will not have a chance to sail polish warships.

I think a Poland, as was never a strong marine empire, in XVI-XVIII build a various ships and warships, mostly pinkas (biggest was armed in 20 cannons), frigates ( biggest known was a 500 łasztowa - 1000 ton trade frigate with 26cannons. In Gdansk, only between 1700 -1750 was build a 221 ships . In evidence i think in the se time, we had a 21 big ships ,around 400 or more ton. To many European countries in this time a polish corn was very important in this time.

Well, it could be good idea - polish crop was transported in polish-Gdansk, and Holland shils mostly in this era. I dont knlw exactly in other lroducts, but if we will give a national product transport bonus , like polish crop or , hm english tea, or other stuff , and they will be more benefitional for thks nation , it could work. We will had then a some special traders, between normal and pirates , buccaneers and other warship stuff.

santisimatrinidad.jun.pl/printview.php?t=1051&start=0&sid=c998e8d10b1cf320f2bd121186f654fe - here 2rd picture is a this galeon Mars.

We had many ships in XVI , big for their timeline, but i dont think some planes or good information for reconstruction survived to ours timeline.

On Baltic they were mostly a major power like Sweden, Dutch, later mayby Russia and as minor countries like some Hansa, Lubeka, Polish and mayby others which i dont know. Prussia never was very into a navy until last years of XIX and XX before Big War.

Next part is a North sea. Of course Brits, Holland, Dutch, mayby minor germans kindoms or something like that.

Portugal was entertained for a long time in every single "Portugal", all territories were indeed Portugal no matter where, unlike the other nations which only looked as much as to their own turf, Spanish and United Provinces alike.

The treaty between the English crown and Portugal is older than we remember. It is the longest standing agreement between two nations and comes from the 14th century full force. Obviously the treaty was changed along the centuries to accommodate to new realities and it was highly visible during the Revolution Wars and Napoleonic expansion wars. At this stage it would ensure the English a open Atlantic haven to link between the channel and the Mediterranean while, and this is where Portugal enters as part of the bargain, out Empire could divert resources to keep the maritime territories and trade outposts connected non stop.

Sadly we came out of a three Castillian kings ruling dynasty and a succession war after the nobles rebelled against the Castillian crown. We lost a lot of outposts and territories to the United Provinces as part of the Spanish crown wars in the Thirty Years War and Succession Wars, the european game of thrones during good part of the late 17th century.

Even so we managed to have a navy par with all the rest named here with ships of the line capable of standing up front, like the Amazon or the Príncipe Real and many many others. Comparing minor naval nations to us is nothing but the biggest mistake at this time frame, sorry my German, Danish, Swedish and Russian friends.

Our best part valor was always based on discretion and, politics apart, we did not manage to keep wars on going in the maritime territories until the last part of the 20th century because of a weak navy. Logistics to keep an empire for 600 years requires top navy organization and top sailors and commanders.

Plus you only need to research a bit beyond the obvious to find Portuguese admirals ( relegated to rear-admirals mostly ) in the most crucial battles. We simply used resources much better. ( today is complete opposite... damn scoundrels in the power seats... )

Portugal must be present as one of the power nations in the game. All eyes were set in America after 1760, but Africa and Asia were really the power house regarding trade, and in this, Portugal and United Provinces had a share there, with Spain mainly having the Filipines which were not crucial at all.

On top of that, the South China Sea saw pirate leagues defeating national Navies in open sea battles, so not everything that glitters is indeed gold.

Salute!

I think we should all take a second to remember that this is a player started poll.. If Saintduiex forgot to put country "x" on the list, let's not all get hysterical.

I'm sure it will be an option to play as the United Provinces, Portugal, Russia, Etc...  :)   If not in the Open World Prototype, than in the Finished Game.

Therin lies the issue, overwhelming wish to be British, perhaps because they were the best at what they did or perhaps this game attracts the British to play it. Either way if the game has a simple, which Nation do you wish to play option, it will be difficult to find a way to balance the end game mechanics.

A difficult situation, but perhaps the Devs have a clever way to allow disproportionate naval  strength to somehow balance out in the game.

It's the Royal Navy Crankey... other countries have "Royal" Navies... but if you say "The" Royal Navy... everyone knows who your talking about... The British Royal Navy :) All you need is one word even... NELSON. And this is coming from a patriotic American... :P 

At the time this game it set the British Navy really did rule the Seas... they had the most ships, the "best" ships (arguable) and they definitely had the most experienced Crews, and Officers, just from the amount of fighting they actually did.

The United States had some success against them in individual battles during the War of 1812, but only because the US Navy purposely built heavier ships, and copied many of the British tactics... because if your going to copy from someone... copy from the best.  B)

I guess you can tell from my Signature who I'm going to play for, so I'm not too concerned about the high number of "British" players.  It's historically accurate, and they are all potential prizes I can take home to Uncle Sam...  :D

I think we should all take a second to remember that this is a player started poll.. If Saintduiex forgot to put country "x" on the list, let's not all get hysterical.

I'm sure it will be an option to play as the United Provinces, Portugal, Russia, Etc...  :)   If not in the Open World Prototype, than in the Finished Game.

You are right!

Diplomatic alliances?