Game-Labs Forum

Credit System for NA Veterans

I beta tested EVE from round 3 and at the end of each round we where wiped and started a gain.

when eve went full time we got wiped everyone then started a gain however there was to be no wipe there after.

eve's beta was by invitation only  so we all new when release came is was start from 0.

that is how most ggames do it i beta tested a few more after eve but played in eve for 8 yrs. :angry:

I do have a question,

For those already at max rank level which includes myself  is the ongoing xp we continue to recieve being  recorded in case of an increase in ranks? I would prefer to see the xp gained still in game  as a total.

I'm not sure.  I can ask Admin the next time I see him on chat for you.

I think it would be good to wipe and start over. 

At the personal level, I like the thought of battling to reach the top before anyone else...  I may not succeed, but I would be able to gauge how good I am at playing the game. 

I am also concerned any new players would become discouraged to find they paid their dollars to became second class citizens.

I wouldn't mind seeing non-competitive rewards for established players - paint is a good example - Loco Bandito would look great in a pink vic....

That's all well and good for people that have a lot of gaming time.  Folks like myself that are casual gamers (and Admin has stated repeatedly that this game is also meant for casual gamers) would have a hard time with this.

I don't recall ever reading any promises. What I remember reading is that might be possible to -or- there are plans to.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/12572-time-for-a-wipe/page-2?hl=wipe#entry226198

Map, spawns and politics are in the mid stage of development and are not without the problems and potential gaps in design. 

A pvp oriented group of French captain can sail to Louisiana and expand from there operating from french ports on the other side of florida and from Key West having a lot of PVP with USA, Pirates and Spanish.

Also remember that we only promised no wipes for XP/Rank only. Ports and other things might get reset during early access if significant changes will require it.

2. Servers will be down from 17th until 19th of January for preparing the release databases. All character data will be deleted and wiped. This will be the last XP (rank) reset and in the future your XP will be saved and safe. There might be drops or increases in rank if the testing shows that xp will have to be rebalanced, but your earned XP will always stay.  

One full reset on Early Access launch on Steam.

After that XP (rank) will be saved if resets happen. So dont push too hard this time - play at comfortable pace and learn to be a terror of the sea when steam launches.

I could keep going - that's just a few excerpts from the first two pages of search results. :) Promises were made, they should be kept.

• Like 2

we discussed the following idea internally

provide a reset button for veterans allowing to fully reset their experience to 0 and start again gaining veterans level (legacy). 

I like that. Please make Legacy level in gold letters and also, add gold crown (on OS) over veteran after he reaches top Legacy Rank again. I will grind again just to get the Crown. It can be switched on or off if desired.   :)

or Place Black Crown on his ship sails. 

provide a reset button for veterans allowing to fully reset their experience to 0 and start again gaining veterans level (legacy). 

what about figure head for a ship that is removable, and cannot be lost when you sink, but you could trade it with other players? 

we dont need to have it now but I think this will also helps you with future marketing about purchasable cosmetics in game later :P

Edited by Nash

While I understand the concept fully I believe that such a drastic effect would cause the already limited player base to drop extremely dangerously low perhaps even kill the game completely.  Most players I know agree that if a total wipe where to occur and you simply lost all the time and effort put in then you might as well go just find a new game.  

Even a soft wipe as you suggest were you convert XP to points to redeem really achieves nothing other then a continued grind fest and is somewhat self defeating.   If you want to start a new character then you are free to make a new one under a new nation.     It is much better to maybe add a new XP level to allow captains to gain more crew to man larger fleet ships or even forts in port.

Of course this is just my opinion.

While I understand the concept fully I believe that such a drastic effect would cause the already limited player base to drop extremely dangerously low perhaps even kill the game completely.  Most players I know agree that if a total wipe where to occur and you simply lost all the time and effort put in then you might as well go just find a new game.  

Even a soft wipe as you suggest were you convert XP to points to redeem really achieves nothing other then a continued grind fest and is somewhat self defeating.   If you want to start a new character then you are free to make a new one under a new nation.     It is much better to maybe add a new XP level to allow captains to gain more crew to man larger fleet ships or even forts in port.

Of course this is just my opinion.

When customers purchased this game they knew well that it's in Alpha. Devs said it many times player base varies and will remain in the same state even after complete wipe(if there is going to be one) or release. I am 2k away from Rear Admiral and I don't care if I have to start over with everyone during release (more skill for me). ;) Logically you can't kill the game with numbers what we have right now, while double that amount is waiting for game release before buying it. 

Most players I know agree that if a total wipe where to occur and you simply lost all the time and effort put in then you might as well go just find a new game.  

You are not here (in Alpha) to store pixels, you are here to help Devs create a Final Product that everyone can enjoy and knowing your time spent in NA made a difference. 

• Like 4

Here's how you can implement that on startup:  and if you can hit that buton in the lower right you get to keep your stuff.  :P

ResetButtonNA

[...]

Most players I know agree that if a total wipe where to occur and you simply lost all the time and effort put in then you might as well go just find a new game.  

You are not here (in Alpha) to store pixels, you are here to help Devs create a Final Product that everyone can enjoy and knowing your time spent in NA made a difference. 

Well,... technically, I am here because a paid to play a game.  This is not a FTP game. 

I do hope that there are a significant number of players returning / new players joining the game.  Looking at H&G again, their active player base doubled in the last week, from what it was during Beta...  That said, their active count did not really drop off as dramatically as NA's has - when i reminisce to the march/april days when pvp2 had over 1400 players and pvp1 had a queue of players not being able to log in...

I think most of carebears talk about wipe everything because now when they are at max lvls, they have no reason to play this game, there is no content for them. SO they expect the same amazing adventure through NPCs again.

No more *** grinding lvls... one time is enough.

Edited by Rychu Karas
  • Like 2

I think most of carebears talk about wipe everything because now when they are at max lvls, they have no reason to play this game, there is no content for them. SO they expect the same amazing adventure through NPCs again.

I'd put my hands on a raging fire and no chance to repair the Magazine that most wipe requesters ranked up doing mostly pvp.

They actually ranked up without noticing it at all. A combat at a time and suddenly ... oh look... Curse ! nice :)

I'd put my hands on a raging fire and no chance to repair the Magazine that most wipe requesters ranked up doing mostly pvp.

They actually ranked up without noticing it at all. A combat at a time and suddenly ... oh look... Curse ! nice :)

Maybe for some?  Not for me though.  I have been taking my good ole time ranking, and a large portion of it has been pve on a pvp server.  Trading, crafting, missions, a few port battles and fleeting, but not out for the hunt every day like some others.  And in the long run, I started this post because my own opinion is everything should be wiped and knowing many others don't then it's a compromise.  Someone else said it, they wanted to experience this game from scratch after it goes out, I'm in that camp.

My view is: I get XP as result of just playing the game, not I play the game in order to get XP.  So if I lost it all who cares I still derive the enjoyment out of playing the game.  Although I will feel a little sad to lose that 100 million gold. ;)

• Like 1

So you would like to go into PvP against people with limited experience, with your better ships, more knowledge, and gold mods stacked in each of your ships?  This is the result of what you are saying.  How long do you think the new players will stick around in the game when they are getting crushed battle after battle.  I have played a slew of different games - and for me, I don't care whether I start afresh or not.   I want PvP to be a challenge, not a walkover.  

Edited by ElricTheTwo
  • Like 1

many players are going to leave this game if they take away all of the players assets they worked countless hours for

yeah this game is in development stage, but it might as well have been released because we PAID for it like any other game. the game is going through expansions LIKE ANY OTHER GAME.

why would they even care to wipe out players assets with the excuse that its just now being released, do they think it is going to make any new player joining happier? why would any current player want to lose all of their stuff?

it makes no sense to me.

Imagine if your favorite game you played for a year or years, since the devs can do whatever they want anyways, the devs say "well, we are rereleasing this game for a certain amount of money and updates are now called expansions, because of these changes we are wiping out all players assets to start fresh"

any player in any game would be like WTF? WHY? what good does that serve customers?

If there are enough players resistant to losing all their materials, move all of those to one PvP server and everyone else who wants to start afresh to a second PvP server - and send new players to the second PvP server so they are on a level playing field.

Edited by ElricTheTwo

If there are enough players resistant to losing all their materials, move all of those to one PvP server and everyone else who wants to start afresh to a second PvP server - and send new players to the second PvP server so they are on a level playing field.

If the goal is to create a truly level playing field then vet player captain and crafting levels have to be reset....  Even then, it won't really be level, because some players can dedicate less time than other players to the game - which means that if we really want to be fair to everyone we would need to restrict everyone's hours to the number of hour the most restricted player can spend in the game.  Then there is the connectivity issue and the disparity in different player's rig... 

My point is: we seem to be making much about "fairness" when thus far it has not been much of a concern.  Why would fairness to future players prime over that new players that just came into the game this past week, or that which anyone of us faced when we first came into the game?  Are these players at launch going to be charged $80 instead of $40 to buy the game?

• Like 1

When I started there were rear admirals.

If I buy the release version unless it's in day 1 there will be rear admirals.

After 6 months anyone still playing the game from release date will be a Rear Admiral.

What do you do for a new player then?

For the majority of players this is a past time, a hobby, not a life choice and facing the grind when all you can dedicate to the game is a couple of hours a day will finish many off. For those who can live in this game, allow them to reset and give them a title so they feel a bit more superior to everyone else if they need to and can regail them with old Alpha testing day yarns.

(I might be tempted for a title, I'm shallow enough!)

It should be a choice though otherwise I fear a major player loss early on from what will be Niche game anyway.

(Believe it or not the gaming world will not burst into flames over an age of Sail MMO) so it will need TLC to keep alive.

Edited by Blue Tooth