Game-Labs Forum

Hotfix 9.83 Patch notes

admin

What's new:

• Boarding upgrade - Marines - no longer gives insta preparation. The speed of reaching 50 now depends on your marines %. 
  • Fixed bug artificially reducing the penetration for all guns if distance is above 200 meters

Tunings:

• Live oak wood type now gives 7cm instead of 10
  • Teak wood type now gives 4cm instead of 5
  • Fir wood penalty is now -7 instead of -10
  • Armor values adjusted for all ships from Rattlesnake to Victory
  • Cannons and carronades penetration adjusted
  • Slight changes for mast hp and thickness - additional changes might be required
  • Grape damage adjusted - crew damage through stern somewhat improved.

• Penetrating leaks under waterline take slightly more water
  • Like 14

Nice patch, but could we get some specifics on what changed concerning the cannons and general penetration stats?

I especially like the marines change and the bugfix. At least I'll be able to pen whilst closing the distance now

• Like 1

Nice patch, but could we get some specifics on what changed concerning the cannons and general penetration stats?

minor changes.. the main reason line ships would not penetrate at 300-500 meters much was in the bug

angle is still important 

• Like 2

The Preparation change is very welcome.

The basic wood thickness changes ( hopefully the ship innate characteristics makes up for this ) seem too drastic but sure let's test them out.

just tried out the grape shot across the stern.  seems to be pretty good now.  got over 60 off a third rate in my connie in most of my passes.

also noticed better penetration.  seems like combat has evolved nicely.

alittle sad about the marines not giving instant prep.  noticed the hard way... lol

Edited by randommexi

Grape damage adjusted - crew damage through stern somewhat improved.

Penetrating leaks under waterline take slightly more water

I'll see if now my rattlesnake 6pd's are now able to kill some crew on a simple trader lynx unlike previous patch where it was like throwing snowballs at them or if a full broadside of grape on the stern of a AI Le Gros Ventre after removing his armor is again able do more damages than a single ball shot, a single ball that was able to kill 2 crew at once when full broadsides of grape were doing almost nothing at all under 100 meters range making all the low caliber equipped ships totally useless.

Penetrating leaks were already very powerful and able to sink a ship very quickly, heck a simple AI Snow was able to put a teak made Indiaman to misery inflicting 6-8 leaks in one single boardside a bit under 250m range ...and now it will be worse ... Not sure how i like this one, it was really strong already, will test and see i guess.

Marines preparation seems to be a good change.

The Preparation change is very welcome.

not so sure.... not muchof a change for ofensive users , as they will prepare anyways, but marine as defense (to allow quick disengage) lost much value.... 

not so sure.... not muchof a change for ofensive users , as they will prepare anyways, but marine as defense (to allow quick disengage) lost much value.... 

Well, it makes the crew focus Choice more important.

I kind of imagine a deck full of activity, guns roaring and all that jazz, and suddenly a beat to arms for boarding action. Marines setup in their stations, open deck crews get their melee weapon crates, etc. Instead of everyone being already to attention.

I'd still enjoy the musketry being used indirectly and marines using shots once the ships come as close as 80 paces . Would give a little bit more use for marines instead of being boarding only.

• Like 2

I dislike the change to Marines.

They are already standing around not doing anytrhing else (unrealistically, btw) could they at least be ready to board? That is the one thing they are on the ship for and now they are not prepared?! That does not make sense to me.

Edited by Elmarby

remember that crew on boarding crew focus is very vulnerable to grape if you shoot at top decks. 

I dislike the change to Marines.

They are already standing around not doing anytrhing else (unrealistically, btw) could they at least be ready to board? That is the one thing they are on the ship for and now they are not prepared?! That does not make sense to me.

marines fight well

but you still have to get the grapples, planks, ladders out. 

• Like 2

remember that crew on boarding crew focus is very vulnerable to grape if you shoot at top decks. 

marines fight well

Why would I need any of these to defend against an attacker?

marines fight well

i shot at top desk and only kill 6 o9

Why would I need any of these to defend against an attacker?

defender is given 25 prep always no matter what

maybe its not enough - not sure

but if you see someone plans to board you you can also prepare by switching on boarding

• Like 1

i shot at top desk and only kill 6 o9

If your broadside is higher it shouldn't be an issue to sweep the enemy deck with grape. It works perfectly.

Same height or higher, example a Privateer versus a Snow - Take the man figures as reference, aim at should height. Imagine "shotgun" cloud spray.

With the Boarding focus there's more crew amassed.

If your broadside is higher it shouldn't be an issue to sweep the enemy deck with grape. It works perfectly.

Same height or higher, example a Privateer versus a Snow - Take the man figures as reference, aim at should height. Imagine "shotgun" cloud spray.

With the Boarding focus there's more crew amassed.

yes i know, i have a Connie agains a legross, all lateral down , i shot so close, and nothing,

Edited by Alado

defender is given 25 prep always no matter what

maybe its not enough - not sure

but if you see someone plans to board you you can also prepare by switching on boarding

well, it's 23, because we pay 2 for the brace, which means it's three turns until you have enough to disengage, and then you just die because you can't defend against an attack anymore, so you actually need to wait five turns until you can disengage - assuming your enemy for some reason doesn't last second kill you with a 60 prep attack during any of those five turns in a single attack, which 40% marines vs 0% marines will do.

As it is right now, if you get boarded by someone with a lot of marines, you'll just die.

Switching to boarding is pretty pointless because the prep raises soooo slowly, you'll not get above the 25 free prep in time anyways, so you might as well go full sailing and hope to evade him somehow.

So yeah, 25 prep is too low, because you will never get to the 45 you need to disengage because he will constantly force you to click actions otherwise you die instantly.

IMO, disengage should be an action you need to do four times, costing 10 prep each (3 with boarding axes), not one huge prep sink of 45.

speaking of boarding axes, maybe if they helped with disengage preparation as well? As it is, the 1 turn less is pretty much irrelevant.

I guess my point in the first post was that preparing for boarding is something completely different than preparing to defend against boarding, and therefore it should play by its own rules.

Another thing that really grinds my gears is that 40% marines means I always have 40% marines. If I lose 20 men, I lose 8 marines and 12 sailors.

Shouldn't marines die first? That way, you could board someone with intent to use your marines to kill his sailors, even if the boarding ends up repelled, you only lost marines that don't do anything for sailing, without completely taking out the ship from the fight.

Edited by Quineloe
  • Like 3

After a couple of tests the grape low calibers seems to work fine now, not doing too much insane loads of kills but not useless like before the patch, takes a bit of time to reduce the crew of a ship but at least when you hit it works and takes a few crew out, this making it enjoyable again, thanks for the fix, i think the balance is quite nice now for 6pd's grape.

You won't kill a cutter entire crew in 2 broadsides anymore, more like taking out one crew per shot using a snake if you shoot from the side, a bit more if you shoot from behind, nor reduce the crew of a gros ventre by 1/3 in 5 minutes but i like how it is now, at least the smaller guns equipped ships can use them better maneuverability long enough and take the time to reduce the crews of those things, needs a bit of patience and time but I did not have the feeling of shooting useless snowballs like before so it's fine for me.

Thanks

What's new:

• Fixed bug artificially reducing the penetration for all guns if distance is above 200 meters

Tunings:

• Cannons and carronades penetration adjusted

Penetration/distance info will be also updated in gun description in game? Cause I had weird feeling that description wasn't correct like for carronades penetrations described vs reality in the game

Edited by Mamen