Game-Labs Forum

Whats wrong with the Connie?

So I will start off by saying that the Connie was probably my overall favorite ship in the Sea Trials with a close second being the Victory.

I left for a while when the sea trials were over and have recently come back, and on the forums and in game chat with people, the Connie seems to be getting a lot of hate and disregard.

What happened to the Connie that has made it so downtrodden? Was their some nerf that occurred to it? I haven't made it back to the level that I could even attempt to under crew one to test it out for myself so if someone could enlighten me I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Edited by LordSitruc

It feels great, but since I wasn't around before the EA release, I can't say how much it changed. It loses the rudder very often from fire from the side, which is a bit awkward, as other ships don't seem to do that a lot, but I love it, even undercrewed and undergunned to 12pd guns..

In theory connie is more frigate like than 3rd rate and more SOL like than trinco, In practice it's less SOL like than 3rd rate and less frigate like than trinco.

If you're looking for speed and manouverability, you will go with trinco; if you're after firepower you'll go fir 3rd rate. Connie is in that weird in-between place, where it's hard to explain it's existence. Maybe if 3rd rates weren't overall cheaper to get, connie would see more action. At this point, for me at least, connie is exclusively a 3rd-rate capping ship.

In theory connie is more frigate like than 3rd rate and more SOL like than trinco, In practice it's less SOL like than 3rd rate and less frigate like than trinco.

If you're looking for speed and manouverability, you will go with trinco; if you're after firepower you'll go fir 3rd rate. Connie is in that weird in-between place, where it's hard to explain it's existence. Maybe if 3rd rates weren't overall cheaper to get, connie would see more action. At this point, for me at least, connie is exclusively a 3rd-rate capping ship.

Trinc now turns like a whale.

Conni have more firepower than 3rd rate up close

• Like 1

The Constitution suffers from the same general problem as the Frigate, Belle Poule and Essex:

By the time you have the rank to fully crew it, it's already outclassed by something else.

If you want to open sea PvP with the ability to gank and avoid ganks, you want the Trincomalee. Trin has good firepower, good armor and more importantly, high speed. 1v1 Trin vs Con, Trin "can't lose" -- it can beat a bad Connie captain and it can simply run away from the good ones. No matter how high your rank is, the Trincomalee is the best ship for this particular role.

If you want to "roll heavy", whether for port battles, PvE or "no retreat" style PvP, you want a 3rd rate (or higher).

There's just no niche that the Constitution is the "best ship" for.

I'm not real sure what to do about this problem, or if anything should be done, but it's really like the Frigate and makes me sad: it's not a "bad ship". There's nothing specifically wrong with it. It's just outclassed in some important ways by other ships and there is no reason to not just keep using those.

I wonder if it would be entertaining to come up with a mechanic where you can't keep sailing the same ship all the time. Kinda like in Planetside, you can't just grab a tank, die, grab another tank, die, grab another tank, die. The game will quickly force you to stop driving tanks and do something else for a while. Maybe there should be some concept that after you die in a Trincomalee, you can't sail another one until [something].

That might piss people off but would certainly create diversity. And it's somewhat more realistic in the sense that if your ship just sunk, the admiralty isn't going to give you that exact ship back, or likely even one of the same exact model or class.

• Like 2

Running Constitutions nowadays to thoroughly test the wood and built in setups.

The Live Oak and Strength one was the classic. Can fight her way through but suffers a lot at all ranges. Sluggish but handy overall. Not special.

The Teak and Planking one is quite pleasing. It deflects most long range shooting and has staying power at medium range ~400 yards. At musket range it shows the Teak structure lacking. It holds on to the leaking and it will fight to the end. It is quite speedy. With optimized rudder and lightweight ropes it surely is a match for the Trinc. It is a favorite to exploit gaps. Main weakness as I said is at short range duels, so it becomes sort of limited in its choices.

The third one is a Live Oak and Planking setup. Have yet to bring it to a proper pvp shakedown run. Speed is acceptable and seems to have the most staying power.

Giving I still captain them under crewed I use a full complement of 12 pounders with Fine Powder Monkeys. Also always carry a Fine Pump with the Planking setup.

When fully crewed they will be quite a nice addition to my collection.

I loved the Trincomalee in trials but this time I will overlook it entirely.

• Like 1

I tried an undercrewed constitution with medium guns at post captain. Even with the reduced crew requirement of mediums, I can just man a broadside and still have people in the sails. So the broadside works, but sailing is pretty poor.

The medium cannons still bounce like crazy at even close range. I get better penetration results on my Trinc with long 18s.

I'm not sure you could crew a long gun broadside and sails. Maybe just barely, and the moment you get leaks and a fire. your reload goes out of sync.

The performance on post captain missions was inferior to the Trinc. Both surprise+renommee and frigate fights the Trinc finishes faster and is more likely to swap broadsides to milk the target for more exp.

The performance on Flag captain missions was better, but still can't solo them.

I'd fully agree with Bouff there, if Rank 7 could fully crew a consti (and an Ingermanland, another upcoming ship that will be just as harmed by the current levels as the consti), and rank 6 was scaled up a little to unlock everything up to the Belle Poule, this would greatly improve the game.

Edited by Quineloe
  • Like 1

I tried an undercrewed constitution with medium guns at post captain. Even with the reduced crew requirement of mediums, I can just man a broadside and still have people in the sails. So the broadside works, but sailing is pretty poor.

The medium cannons still bounce like crazy at even close range. I get better penetration results on my Trinc with long 18s.

I'm not sure you could crew a long gun broadside and sails. Maybe just barely, and the moment you get leaks and a fire. your reload goes out of sync.

The performance on post captain missions was inferior to the Trinc. Both surprise+renommee and frigate fights the Trinc finishes faster and is more likely to swap broadsides to milk the target for more exp.

The performance on Flag captain missions was better, but still can't solo them.

I'd fully agree with Bouff there, if Rank 7 could fully crew a consti (and an Ingermanland, another upcoming ship that will be just as harmed by the current levels as the consti), and rank 6 was scaled up a little to unlock everything up to the Belle Poule, this would greatly improve the game.

At Captain rank with long 24s and 42pd carronades, plus fine extra hammocks you can fully crew a broadside plus sails. Gives her some nasty close range power. I can also solo both the double Connie and solo third rate Flag Captain missions that way.

• Like 1

I haven't been on in months so I don't know if some of this stuff has changed, but when I played the Connie she felt like she couldn't take much damage but she was nice to sail. 

The only real problem I have about the Connie right now is her model still needs fixing, her bow needs work and her curves need some work(currently she's a little flat compared to real life) I think there are a few other things of her model that need some work but I can't think of them right now.

I don't know if any of this has changed so forgive me if I'm saying something that isn't an issue anymore.

Edited by Legioneod