• 100+Gun First Rated Ship of the Line
    • 90+ Gun Second Rated Ship of the Line
    • up to 80Gun Third Rated Ship of the Line
    • 46-60 Gun Forth Rated Ship of the Line
    • 32 and 38 Gun Fifth Rated Ship
    • 26 to 32 Gun Sixth Rated Ship
    • Unrated Ships: Sloops,Brigs
    • Merchant Ships: Indiaman, Bark,Galleon

American 44 hands down. I would also be very happy with an 18-lber 5th-rate, of the Lively or Leda class. And of course, the good 'n' trusty 74.

I just came across the lively class on the wiki, from the article it seems rather impressive. I hope the developers are considering it for the game.

The captain's reports on the performance of this class were remarkable for their absence of serious criticism. The vessels of the class were fast, recording 13kts large and 10-11kts close-hauled, weatherly and manoeuvrable. They were excellent heavy-weather ships, perfectly able to cope with a "head sea." They stowed their provisions well; they were capable of stowing provisions and freshwater for up to six months of cruising. Indeed "riding light," after a substantial proportion of fresh water and provisions had been consumed, affected their sailing qualities adversely, so that most captains filled any emptied freshwater stowage capacity with seawater.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lively-class_frigate

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a sucker for a schooner rig.  The flexibility with the wind that they give you makes for some very fun and creative tactics.  With regards to brigs, I'm far more of a 3rd or 4th rate fan - I still want some speed and maneuverability to allow me to apply myself flexibly to the situation.

That's not to say a 1st rate with it's MONSTER weight of throw wouldn't be a ton of fun!

• 2 weeks later...

well my main ship will be the xebex corsair, but my main battel ships will be the super frigate however as time goes by and the developers have made such beautiful ships i will collect as many as i can,,and will have the top ship of the line 1st rate,the main page says no classes,and we can be anything we want to be,not sure how thats going to work out the way many are talking about pvp,most likley us explorer adventurers will get sucked into fights we really dont want,,so i guess we wait and see what the world is really like when they ready,,any one heard of a time frame the pre orders will get to test the game?

i just hope the game is real enough that scout ships have a great role in the game,i like speed,,be cool to patrol the open sea world for a convoy or just looking for targets for a task force be way cool

Agreed, personally I just want to be part of Aubrey crowd but I would also love to participate in major line battles in my frigate chasing down ships trying to flee. Hopefully it won't be similar to POTBS where only 1st rates are allowed.

• Like 1

Voted for sixth rate, but I'm guessing I'll be using brigs and sloops quite a bit as those are the ideal small privateer ships. Fast enough to run out of trouble, nimble and maneouverable enough, and able to move in and out of shallow deeps areas, and with enough of a bite to capture worthy prey.

Anything bigger starts to be too large for the role.

• 2 weeks later...