Game-Labs Forum

Patch 9.65 - Crew and resource production

admin

The most annoying thing in this patch is NPC ability to turn at 0 speed. Destroyed all masts on 3rd rate including bowsprit and it could still turn for broadsides. It was slow but fast enough to make turn and fire on my bow as i was going for the rake and to turn the other way and fire on my stern as i passed it. It's turning got slower and slower as I killed the crew but it was still impossible to park at it's stern when it was down to about 150 crew.

---

If you read the notes carefully, they mention that NPC production will be phased out.  So like it or not, those buildings are on track to become the SOLE source of raw materials (edit: ofc there will be trader capping still).  I believe the intent is to create two classes of crafting, casual resource producers who just quickly yank mats and sell them at higher profit, and ship/module crafters who are all but forced to buy (or have their clan give them) the raw mats and spend every single hour on ship building.

The only thing that confuses me is we have gone from 'gold is great' to 'gold is meh' .  Silver is the new gold as there are fewer ports that produce silver than gold, and ALL modules of every quality level use silver notes.  Also the ships most players are using atm are silver note dependant.

Even as the avg level rises, I just can't see how gold will ever be in high demand again...and never as high as silver will be from here on out.

mabe a tiered system where common/fine require silver but MC/Exceptional require gold notes?

Your also assuming the same cost in gold for notes need be applied.

If the problem is volume, then adjust that.  500 Gold coins or more per note would clear up this problem toot sweet.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

In all fairness, we could use kedge anchors and row boats to turn at full stop. It would be extremely slreally do much of anything; as I recall the US frigate only managed to escape by dousing the sails and deploying kedge anchors on the down-low. :ph34r::D

In fairness, kedging is by definition "not sailing" ;-)

• Like 1

In all fairness, we could use kedge anchors and row boats to turn at full stop. It would be extremely slow but irl you could still turn if needed.

What was that engagement in the Caribbean when a US frigate (I think it was Old Ironsides herself even) was getting slow-motion ganked by some British ships? There was absolutely no wind for a couple days so no one could really do much of anything; as I recall the US frigate only managed to escape by dousing the sails and deploying kedge anchors on the down-low.  :ph34r:  :D

In all fairness, this wasn't done because the ship wanted to turn with its sails down - it was done when the wind nearly completely failed, and it was faster to row the anchor out ahead of the ship, bring it home via the capstan, rinse and repeat to make way in a straight line.  This can only be done with a bottom that has a good holding ground (if you foul a fluke, you're going to have to slip the cable and use a another anchor in that situation), and only when you're not engaged directly by other ships on their broadsides.  I guarantee when Constitution did it, the ships she was fleeing were behind her and not running around her in good wind.

If you were going to try and tow the head around, again, this was done in very light air and not in the middle of a battle full of ships with good wind.  Anyone trying this with enemy ships using their broadsides in range would be shot to pieces with grape in short order and you'd lose the boat crews.

With good wind, in order to turn, you must be anchored with a springline (and in that case you're going to be there until you slip the anchor cables or bring them home - likely you could do this once, maybe twice before moving again in a single battle), you need to have enough water flowing past the rudder to have steerage way, or you need to have your sails backed/filled in such a way as to bring the ship around.  The practice in game of going to zero sails and acting like a turret was, in my opinion, completely terrible and absolutely not in the spirit of the Age of Sail.  People just didn't do that unless they were at anchor with a spring, and they did not do that unless in a very tight harbor fighting other ships who themselves were limited in mobility.

• Like 4

I believe if I remember right the Constitution's sails were were fully set to catch whatever wind they could catch and water was poured over them to try to help.

Long thread. Was the melee indicator mentioned? It is bugged when in combat. It no longer provides an attack rating indicator when you queue up ATTACK.

Ah, I noticed that as well but for some odd reason didn't think of it as a bug, just my misunderstanding or them trying to hide the rating. I will report it next time. Why I didn't even think of it as a bug, I have no idea lol.

I'm sorry but it is seriously a big FU to crafters/producers with this 5 building slots across the server! What happened to the supposed ability to produce all the required resources to craft a 1st rate in 7 days???

It is impossible to produce one's own resources for ship construction so I'm still left with placing buy orders at ports to suck up NPC resources on stuff I don't produce. This building slot issue needs to be rectified! Either change it to be 3 slots per outpost or increase the max slots to 10...

its simple.

build buildings 1-5, klick their materials, manufacture what you need, break them up (destroy), build building 6-10, manufature the next things you need and so on.

Noone said you can do ith with 5 buildings.

It is possible to build a 1st rate alone and in 7 days.

It is not possible to build a 1st rate with 5 buildings.

About "a big FU":

Costs went down by a lot, you can still buy stuff from the port AI. Like in the old days.

You can make contracts which players can fill at lower cost.

All in all costs went down. (did I repeat myself, sry :P)

I am not sure if you fully understood the concept behind the new eco system.. You dont have to build/ craft everything on your own.

and dont overuse the phrase FU when its unnessecary, ty

• Like 3

Definitely not a big fu.  I'm crafting, I don't bother with buildings because there's no point for me to.  I can just buy my resources like normal.  If people want to make money, they bring their resources to my crafting port for a reasonable price.  If they sell to npcs instead of me, that is their decision, I will just buy from the npcs for a lesser price.

Right now we have crafters and then we have resource producers/farmers.  Trying to be both isn't very efficient.

• Like 1

Its impossible the get a ship crafted. Crafters don't care about gold, because its too easy to get rich.

The only thing crafters accept is notes. I don't care about crafting, that means I'm lvl 5 in crafting (what you needed to craft notes before) Now you need to be lvl 35, to craft a highgrade note.

I can't make them. Nobody will sell me some. And crafters only take notes as payment = impossible to get a Bellona for eksample.

Do we really want notes to be ship building currency?

• Like 2

Its impossible the get a ship crafted. Crafters don't care about gold, because its too easy to get rich.

The only thing crafters accept is notes. I don't care about crafting, that means I'm lvl 5 in crafting (what you needed to craft notes before) Now you need to be lvl 35, to craft a highgrade note.

I can't make them. Nobody will sell me some. And crafters only take notes as payment = impossible to get a Bellona for eksample.

Do we really want notes to be ship building currency?

i dont know your nation, server or who you are asking, but i at least also accept cash in place of the crafting notes

• Like 2

i dont know your nation, server or who you are asking, but i at least also accept cash in place of the crafting notes

Server 1 - DK-NO need a Bellona. No crafter is accepting gold as payment. 

It was a generel suggestion to make notes available to all, so we again can supply the mats and pay a fee for the craft.

I have contact with a crafter he wants 4 notes for the craft and 4 notes for the payment. 1 note = 140000 - 250000 gold. Thats about 1,5 - 2 mill gold for a ship. That can't be right. 

1 note is 140k-250k gold? Holy crap, I am producing for the wrong nation. US max price I have seen for 1 high grade note is 45k.

I just sold 1 yesterday for 115k, and I undercut 2 others (whom probably got their money).

Ironic, I've seen low grade notes go for $40k. Weird stuff happening, lol

In fairness, kedging is by definition "not sailing" ;-)

In fairness Kedging is a method to reposition a ship without sailing.  So a ship could be turned (or moved) using a kedge.  

In the battle of Pittsburg The ships were anchored in line from north to south in the order EagleSaratogaTiconderoga and Preble. They all had both bow and stern anchors, with "springs" attached to the anchor cables to allow the ships to be slewed through a wide arc. Macdonough also laid out extra kedge anchors from the quarters of his flagship Saratoga, which would allow him to spin the ship completely around. 

In fairness Kedging is a method to reposition a ship without sailing.  So a ship could be turned (or moved) using a kedge.  

In the battle of Pittsburg The ships were anchored in line from north to south in the order EagleSaratogaTiconderoga and Preble. They all had both bow and stern anchors, with "springs" attached to the anchor cables to allow the ships to be slewed through a wide arc. Macdonough also laid out extra kedge anchors from the quarters of his flagship Saratoga, which would allow him to spin the ship completely around. 

OK, so we need option "10" in the hotbar... "Kedge".

How many crew would be appropriate? :-)