Game-Labs Forum

Animation of the flow of battle / Spectator Mode

After a PVP or PVE battle has ended I would like to see a replay of it on a 2D chart. Look at A. T. Mahan's plan of sea battles, e.g. here:

Plan of the Engagement Between the Constitution and Guerrière

(Source: A. T. Mahan: Sea Power in its Relations to the War of 1812, Volume 1, p. 333 on Project Gutenberg, Link)

I think that such an animation would be a great tool to understand the outcome of battle, especially for large PVP battles. Where did we lose the battle? What was a good, what was a bad manoeuvre? What happened at the other side of the battle?

I like the details in Mahan's plans:

• Direction of wind
  • Position and direction of the ships a the same time
  • Plotted course
  • Orientation of the yards (in smaller plans)
  • Identification of ships

I would like to have such a battle plan after the end of a battle, but not during the battle. I shouldn't be a static plan, but a video/animation. It should be possible to pause the animation and to move forward and backward in time. Zooming in and out in larger battles would be nice. In addition to Mahan's plans it would also be nice to see when a ship fires a broadside.

You can find more examples of historic battle plans here:

Edit: Changed the links to Project Gutenberg to match their terms of use.

• Like 2

Battle plan is doable. But it will take resources away from other features and there are so many nice to have features so to see which ones are very important to players we will just ask a simple question

How much will you pay for it? This particular feature. If it was available a-la carte. 

I fully agree with you that this is not a key feature. It's a nice add-on in the long term, but other features are much more important and should be implemented first.

I have no problem in paying for it as an add-on. I haven't made my mind up about an exact price, but I think you will find a reasonable price :-)

On the other hand, it seems like a an extremely valuable development tool, like TacView in DCS. I'd think that the devs would want to have something like that (in a more utilitarian, less pretty form, of course) for themselves.

I love this idea. In Potbs new players are overwhelmed by the skill of long time vets and these charts for at least for the smaller battles would go a long way in helping people to learn the art of 1v1. I know for me, it is hard to replay in my mind the battle in its entirety and so I usually only pick up on one or two things I did wrong or right. This would help me out alot. Its the best idea I've seen in these forums in some time. Bravo.

As for the price... and I would be willing to pay for this feature... I am willing to spend 15-20 american dollars a month consistently. More than that and I feel gouged and get bitter. I played WoW for two years, had access to everything and only payed 15 bucks a month. Eve I believe is similar in cost. So, it depends how you plan on making money. If you offer a monthly subscription then I would pay that but would not pay for anything else... I would feel gouged if I didn't have access to everything. I could accept vanity items like figureheads, sails, and titles to be sold outside of the subscription but nothing that contributes to the game itself and I would see this feature as doing that.

Otherwise, if no subscription is offered, then I'm still at the 15-20 dollar a month mark so I would be willing to pay that I imagine.

I'm fine with DLC, but Subscriptions are just a poison pill for me, because it means I HAVE to play or else just waste money.

If you have a month with a lot of travelling, or high workload, or interruption in regular internet service, you either pay full price for nothing in return, or have to cancel the game entirely. From cable TV on down, monthly subscriptions are a borderline abusive practice from a consumer's point of view. If I have a temporary situation where I can only play 5 hours a month, the cost should change to reflect that. A la carte.

I'm fine with DLC, but Subscriptions are just a poison pill for me, because it means I HAVE to play or else just waste money.

If you have a month with a lot of travelling, or high workload, or interruption in regular internet service, you either pay full price for nothing in return, or have to cancel the game entirely. From cable TV on down, monthly subscriptions are a borderline abusive practice from a consumer's point of view. If I have a temporary situation where I can only play 5 hours a month, the cost should change to reflect that. A la carte.

Well, if there will be some sort of eve online skill system - you aint pay for nothing, since skills can be trained while you are offline.
Another option - we pay a sub for certain hours, not days.

Eh, you need to be very careful with this. Something that offers an advantage, locked behind a paywall that isn't open to everyone from the start, is starting to sound like a pay to win game, which is certainly something you want to avoid. Developing MMOs is just about the hardest thing you can do. I know for myself, if I'm considering a new game if I hear that it has pay to win features I don't even bother installing it. Now having a post battle chart of the engagement is not really something that can give you an edge in battle per say, but it might set a dangerous precedent if you only offer features like this for a price.  

and the reason for asking about pay is just prioritization - if people are willing to pay for something - they really really want it.

when we say pay - we mean everyone will have this but it will increase the price of overall product. 

its not like you will buy it but someone else won't have it.

• Like 1

Something i don't get, are you guys planning  a monthly sub ?

Also the idea of a 2 D chart is nice, but indeed kind of a secondary feature at launch omo, still this is a good idea to analyse our mistakes or the enemy.

But i do not agree that it should be animated with too many information, personaly i'd prefer a more realistic feature more like the picture "gdir" posted. Something simple realistic and not too "fancy".

and the reason for asking about pay is just prioritization - if people are willing to pay for something - they really really want it.

when we say pay - we mean everyone will have this but it will increase the price of overall product. 

its not like you will buy it but someone else won't have it.

That's very reassuring, I'm glad to see you say so. 

I agree with Feretier, the end result (if you choose to do it) should be simple and feel true to the period. Nothing too flash or ostentatious. Perhaps like a drawing someone would do in a private journal.  

• 6 months later...

Too often I hear about a great match in progress on TS and I have to imagine the action.

I would like a Spectator Mode where I could enter an existing instance just as a Free Camera and float around and watch the mayhem.

It open world - who knows - the dev's could even make a little cash selling tickets (?)

Would there be any concern that this feature could be used, in conjunction with TS, to have a fleet commander not otherwise involved in the match calling the shots?

Anything can be corrupted by peoples - but really what would be so wrong about what you suggest?