Game-Labs Forum

Add Abandon Ship as well as/or Surrender

If your sinking its more 'abandon ship' as opposed to surrender.

I would like to see the following :

1) You cannot surrender if you are sinking (this could be seen as to harsh by some, so to counter that -->), but you can abandon ship. Abandoning ship saves 75% of your crew (or some number) and has a 3/4 chance to save your officer or some number. your ships sinks. The opponent gets appropriate kill/assist rewards.

2) You CAN surrender before you start sinking, you get to keep all your crew/officer(s). Your opponent gets your ship (if they sail over to it) and the appropriate Kill/Assist rewards are allocated.

Simples.

• Like 5

If your sinking its more 'abandon ship' as opposed to surrender.

I would like to see the following :

1) You cannot surrender if you are sinking (this could be seen as to harsh by some, so to counter that -->), but you can abandon ship. Abandoning ship saves 75% of your crew (or some number) and has a 3/4 chance to save your officer or some number. your ships sinks. The opponent gets appropriate kill/assist rewards.

2) You CAN surrender before you start sinking, you get to keep all your crew/officer(s). Your opponent gets your ship (if they sail over to it) and the appropriate Kill/Assist rewards are allocated.

Simples.

If you risked surrendering only at the point you are sinking you should be punished for it tbh :) I would however like to see 2 types of surrender. One that you can initiate at the start of a battle which needs to be accepted by the enemy. If he accepts, he is allowed to loot your cargo hold, but you get your ship, the remainder of the cargo that he left behind and your crew/officer. The second one is the one we have now, but only till the point your ship is not going down to the bottom of the sea, if you are sinking or on fire, surrendering should not be a possibility.

• Like 1

They should add some kind of upgrade like "live boats", that save some of your crew when you sink.

Like the idea. On the other hand every ship was carrying their own "life-boats (long-boats)" by default, like pinasse, cutter, gig, launch etc.

i have to say i had a similar idea when i was reading about the surrender disscation.

My idea was once your ship gets in danger of sinking (low plank status, to many leaks, to big fire) you get the option to abadon your ship and you get a chance to save part of the crew and chance to save your officers live, depending how long befor your ships sinks you abandon it.

Something along the line: if your ships sink with in 2 min after abandoning you save 60% of the crew and get a 60% chance to save the officer, down to 10-20% if you sink 20s after abandoning. But if you abandon to early the enemy might get a chance to save the ship.

If you abandon the ship the enemy will get the full kill gold/exp for sinking.

As for surrender then enemy won't get the kill but he will get the ship or maybe the option to give it back for a prize. As for in battle while in abandon the crew will disapear form the ship in surrender it will stay on the ship and they will all move to survival, to keep the ship a float.

I think on surrender a sinking ship should stop sinking as all crew can stop fighting and keep ship afloat .. you can then cap the surrendered ship without opposition  the player surrendering keeps his officer as parole used to do  but loses crew ... the attacker gains normal victory plus ship and can transfer any remaining crew to his own ship ...

Problem with surrendering before you sink is that often you don't even see it coming, you are still in very good shape with 95% of your armor on sides and have 23 crew in survival, often bow armor heavily damaged and tanking a little water and water level not even visible on the compass indicator, so basically i am tanking water and can stay afloat for long long time with only 23 crew in survival and pursue a fight for 45mn without consequences while having almost all the rest of my armor full ... yet i won't be able to surrender with your system ..

Surrendering became a problem since patch and especially when it comes to save the officer that takes an insane grind to level up and have only 10 lifes but gives a lot of advantages cumulated, perks cumulated often giving more advantages on a ship than adding 3 + 5 gold mods on it  ...PVP used to be rewarding, way more than pve, now i can make in a single mid level pve 30mn mission more xp and gold than in 3 pvp encounters that will take me 2 and half hours, thanks to surrendering meta introduced in game, used to spare crew life but more important is to save the officer and his perks, i don't care for the crew itself, they can go feed the sharks if i let my ship sunk but the officer is another story seeing how much time it takes to level it up and the advantages it gives.

I quote myself from another thread :

Vast subject and hard to answer only by love hate or mixed ...

First problem i have with this is the insane endless grind feeling they bring to me in this game... I still miss data about how much xp is needed from lvl 1 to 2 , then from lvl 2 to 3, but without those levels the total amount of normal xp you need to make to get you officer to the highest level is already 34100 xp

34100 XP ! probably around 35k real xp needed to get it fully efficient with the 2 levels missing... 35k ... ding ding , rings a bell to anyone ? In comparison the Xp needed to pass from Master and Commander to Post Captain and then reach Flag captain is ... 35K, the xp needed to pass from flag captain to commodore is 40K ... Total xp in game needed to pass from the lowest captain level to the highest cpt rank is x4.6 time what an officer needs to be fully maxed out, loose 5 times your officer fully leveled up and you made the full captain xp progression again, but here the officer have only 10 lifes ... oh the joy ...

Now some will tell me 35K xp is quick to do ... yeah if you have max level and do fleets missions using Sol's maybe ...

Using a 4th rate you can get around 1000 xp per mission, makes 35 missions while already at this high level in game, almost twice this number of missions when you have only a nice 5th rate and even less xp made at lower levels ... Myself i prefer to sail frigates than Sol's and spend also lot of time in traders hauling my crafting materials, think about what it is for the other players not at max levels, there is some new comers i helped a bit at start who had only one life remaining when they arrived at officer lvl 4 ...

What does this means ? Simply that highest ranked players will profit of the officers perks fully when lowest ranked players that struggle already in smaller ships will get even more disadvantaged, creating a big imbalance and giving the most advantages to those who need them the less, how can such thing be in game seriously ?

Oh and you can surrender to spare his life ... another great stuff, most of the pvp engagements i was on lately ended in players surrendering beside some rare ones, sometimes really quickly when they see you are starting to hit sails, barely any xp made during the fight, no kills or assists done, not enough damages done on enemies before they surrender ... So is that how the game meta will be for pvp now ? There is no fun in this.

Surrender to spare officer life shouldn't be a thing, surrender to spare crew yes but you can replace easily those poor souls, my ship can explode and my captain will never get hurt but my officer have 10 life's ... worse than this is that now players leveling up are getting formated into the surrender thing, they cannot push them ships to the limits and see what is possible to be done with them while in bad shape, we introduce only the culture or surrendering from the start ...

I really don't like the eternal grind feeling the officers adds to the game, i know the final release game need some stuff like this to continue push us into playing but adding this into officers is really a bad thing and very bad idea, in fact i really hate the feeling the officer eternal grind and added changes it brings to the game overall pvp meta added, it gives the advantage to the highest ranked players and defavor a lot the new comers or those in the early progression stages or those who enjoy and focus on trading, it turn the game into surrendering matches where you get less xp and overall rewards ( making the officer progression worse at the same time when doing pvp ), it kills the fun of battles where both your opponent and you were in bad shape and you continued until one of the captains sunk, now you can spare crew's life but this is secondary compared to officers life and the insane perks advantages they give combined with the laborious grind they need to be fully efficient.

Please Dev's get rid of the officers lifes and insane grind, don't turn the game into some mechanics like the F2P crap games where you have to grind until the end of your life to get something decent.

- Then comes the number of officers, i sail warships and traders, obviously i won't use the same officer perks on my warships as i do on my traders, nor will i use the same officer perks while sailing light ships or frigates or Sol's or trader's, and can switch to one for another each 2 hours or play something different each day, more officers are needed ( seems like this is planned ) to fulfill multiples roles on different types of ships.

Also would like to have the possibility to leave officers docked in my outposts, there is some hopeless lost fights where i won't need my officer on board, nor will i need it when i fit a ship with fire-ship upgrade and set the crew numbers to the minimum and send them to a death ... Why should i be forced to keep my officer on board when i can select to add only the minimum crew on ship to sail it ? All This already have an impact on the game battles where players prefer to avoid a fight where they have small chances to win, they refuse to fight or go help while they have a small chance to win... simply to spare the officer life, despites the crew replacement cost loosing those don't hurt as much as loosing all perks you grinded for weeks to get, and in the current game what perks advantages!

- And to finish the perks themselves, some are just abused but i'm pretty confident the larges bonuses will be reviewed or for some simply removed, being able to escape a battle after one minute with the current broken defensive tag mechanic is just sick as advantage.

Will say it again, i don't want to grind eternally for something like officers, i don't want old players getting full advantages quickly when mid-low ranked ones or those not focusing exclusively on combat will get at disadvantages continuously, i don't want to play a game where i have a feeling like in a f2p eternal grinder, i don't want to play a game where the fun of fighting until the end is removed and surrender becomes the main ending of all pvp battles.

Thanks.

Remove the officer's limited life's and people won't surrender 95% of the times like it is now, officers is the problem that turned this game into Naval Surrender, just get rid of limited life's and the surrendering won't be the main meta of pvp and not a problem anymore.

Quite odd, think I never saw it happen although I knew it could.

Wonder if the devs might have a crew morale trigger already in place for all the combat action ( not only boarding ) and with cumulative effects :) that would be awesome.

Quite odd, think I never saw it happen although I knew it could.

Wonder if the devs might have a crew morale trigger already in place for all the combat action ( not only boarding ) and with cumulative effects  :) that would be awesome.

Pretty sure they do. When you grape down the crew of an enemy ship (especially AI) before boarding for example, you'll notice a lot of the time they have less than 100 morale. I've seen it as low as the mid-80s before boarding. 

Pretty sure they do. When you grape down the crew of an enemy ship (especially AI) before boarding for example, you'll notice a lot of the time they have less than 100 morale. I've seen it as low as the mid-80s before boarding. 

That's not morale at work and being dynamic due to the flow of combat,  that's morale threshold tied to crew numbers. Less crew less total morale.

I like the idea.

You can't abandon a ship unless you bought water wings for all your crew. Not enough lifeboats for everyone, or even close.

Historically, that is not correct.

All ship of that time at a bunch of smaller boats in different sizes to go on land etc. It is certainly not enough to save the whole crew, but still quite a fraction.

However, it would be even more realistic than surrenderring and keeping your full crew (instead of being taken prisoner).

I like the idea.

Historically, that is not correct.

All ship of that time at a bunch of smaller boats in different sizes to go on land etc. It is certainly not enough to save the whole crew, but still quite a fraction.

However, it would be even more realistic than surrenderring and keeping your full crew (instead of being taken prisoner).

A First Rate wouldn't carry any boat larger than 40 feet, with its four or five other boats rapidly decreasing in size. There's not going to be "quite a fraction" off 800-1000 men being saved by boats that size.

You can only abandon a ship if you are near shore and can ferry the crew back and forth. Otherwise abandoning ship means abandoning the men.