Game-Labs Forum

Battery firing

I propose a new firing technique. Battery firing.

What this would entail is using a key (lets say L) you can change your broadside from firing all decks with one click of the mouse, to top down - which when you click once would fire the top deck, click a second time would fire the next deck and so on..hit L again and it would change to bottom up and will fire the main guns on up.

This new technique will complement rolling broadsides quite well, but even more importantly will enable efficient firing of ships with mixed loadouts. So if you have your ship with carronades on the top deck and longs on the main deck you could hit L and select bottom up. you could then use space to correct your aim, fire the main deck and then use space to sight your nades and then click again to fire your whole top deck.

if one deck is not loaded it will automatically fire the next deck that is loaded.

I realise that there is the lock deck function but that is not effective for intuitive firing while in battle and is more used to completely stop a particular deck from firing - like me stopping the top guns from the reno and pavel from ruining my aim.

Nobody uses mixed loadouts in this game when in RL that was extremely common in the timeline around 1800. i believe using this function will help bring people back to using this loadout. Ill admit there is another reason that people dont used mixed and that is because the game over guns top decks in most of the ships but that is for a different thread.

For your consideration.

Dazed

• Like 9

I propose a new firing technique. Battery firing.

What this would entail is using a key (lets say L) you can change your broadside from firing all decks with one click of the mouse, to top down - which when you click once would fire the top deck, click a second time would fire the next deck and so on..hit L again and it would change to bottom up and will fire the main guns on up.

I like your suggestion, but would also add the ability to fire with all of the guns by double clicking.  This would allow people to use this ability and not worry about switching between firing one deck at a time and all decks at once when raking an opponent.

• Like 1

As a side note I think it's safe to say we can remove 'random' firing as well and just rely on the front and rear beginning broadsides.

Random is useful in some situations - especially when you need to hit the enemy at all costs. Rolling broadsides can miss an enemy completely when he is turning.

• Like 2

How about we have on key to switch the fire modes, like between random, rolling, deckwise or what ever mode maybe added.

And have a diffrent key to switch between front and back rolling. Atm you miss more shoots from being in the wrong fire mode then you might get hits from having the random mode there with the two rolling fire modes.

• Like 1

Random is useful in some situations - especially when you need to hit the enemy at all costs. Rolling broadsides can miss an enemy completely when he is turning.

Random does way more damage for me than good.  When I'm quickly swapping from back to front rolling broadside a lot of time I am visually queuing off weather my single shot line swaps from the left to right side of my ship.  A lot of times I think I am in front rolling when I am in random.  

I would like a checkbox toggle in the keybindings screen to completely disable random broadsides.  Also somewhat off topic, but I would really like an option to rebind the F11 key for bug reporting, I have other stuff on that key I've been using for years regarding my video recording.

• Like 1

I fail to see the point behind this suggestion.

We can already disable decks and re-enable them at will. Why would I need another system?

Of do you want to substitute it?

What you describe is very well doable. I do split my broadside when the sea conditions are heavy and I want to maximize the chance of hitting stuff more often.

F1-F4 will disable your gundecks. F1 - upper deck. F4-lowest deck.

(For the lulz you can start a rolling broadside from the front, wait for it to end at the back and time your next deck with rolling broadside from the back. Useless but nice to play around :P)

I fail to see the point behind this suggestion.

We can already disable decks and re-enable them at will. Why would I need another system?

Of do you want to substitute it?

What you describe is very well doable. I do split my broadside when the sea conditions are heavy and I want to maximize the chance of hitting stuff more often.

F1-F4 will disable your gundecks. F1 - upper deck. F4-lowest deck.

(For the lulz you can start a rolling broadside from the front, wait for it to end at the back and time your next deck with rolling broadside from the back. Useless but nice to play around :P)

I realise that there is the lock deck function but that is not effective for intuitive firing while in battle and is more used to completely stop a particular deck from firing - like me stopping the top guns from the reno and pavel from ruining my aim.

copy paste from my OP