Game-Labs Forum

So how does tagging work? Please fix

So today I was sailing my privateer around and got tagged/ganked by a group of 5: 2 connies, 1 trinc, 1 surprise, and 1 frigate I believe. I really don't mind bc I'm learning pvp & running but with that br they should not be able to tag such a small ship as the privateer. I'm curious as to how tagging actually works. Is there even a br percentage cap (i.e. In order to tag, the tag group br cannot be more than 120% greater) or such? If not, there should be to reduce ganking. If there is such a mechanic, it needs fixing.

Edited by Anne Wildcat
  • Like 2

No you should be able to attack anything in any condition. Its a sandbox mmo...

More to the point, you was in a privateer. A ship that excels up-wind compared to anything they had by the sounds of it.

Did you manage to get away?

Why shouldn't they be able to attack you? It's pvp, not too many limits please.

Yeah imagine how much fun that is for the attacker, 2 constitutions and 3 frigs vs a privateer. Imagine if that wasn't possible how much fun would be missing from the game. :(

Just imagine if their was no ganks like this, it would COMPLETELY ruin the game and all the fun. I can't imagine not having ganks like this, that would kill all of the fun PvP.

You can use defensive tag, but lately people have been using it to avoid even fair PvP. Defensive tag is total cheese.

Once you start hunting in frig PvP in a group or solo, this is what you will get a lot of.

-Fair fight, you tag enemy and they run leaving one behind for sacrafice. Becomes a boring PvP.

-Fair fight, enemy defensive tags and runs.

-Fair fight, enemy just simply runs once again.

-You tag enemy even though they out BR you and they run.

-You are in enemy waters, you find a straggler that was left behind, it's a gank for your group, boring PvP.

-You are in enemy waters, you need to defensive tag to avoid a gank. Less time fighting more time running, back to looking for a good fight.

-You are in your home waters, oh look a nice target this should be a decent PvP. Well no, half of your nat piles in and it becomes a gank all over again.

-You are in your home waters, enemy zerg is rollin up, you are defensive tagging again. Once again more time running less time having a good battle.

-You defensive tag to avoid a gank, and end up coming out of the battle surrounded by enemy. Even though you have invulnerability, theirs no avoiding getting ganked.

-You find a good fun fight, enemy runs just to later engage you with numbers / "gank".

Don't limit ganking though, it gives us all of the great things above. This is the behavior we get from players now with no limit on ganking, they are scared to fight if they don't have a force on their side that would be impossible for the enemy to defeat.   :ph34r: 

Edited by Acadian44

There does seem to be a bit of confusion: I know that when you try to attack a larger force, you get a message stating "BR Difference too high" does this pertain only when the attacker is the lower BR, or only when attacking NPCs?

Regardless of the fact that a privy can sail at beam and upwind better than square rigs, having a system that discourages seal-clubbing may be necessary. But as always, it is finding the balance between absolute freedom and restriction is the hard part.

• Like 2

Downwind @ about 135, my mistake.

So, lesson learned.  As for the BR difference, I do wish that there was some way to not get everyone around you automatically engaged in a battle, possibly a popup to ask if you want assistance and a popup for the others to see if they want to join a fight.  It may have been just one player wanting to capture a privateer, leave their powerful ship in a strategic harbor, and use the fast privateer to head back to their main base.  However, it may have been some masochistic players doing a bit of seal clubbing because they were bored.  Either way, it's part of the open sandbox  game and in future you'll be able to escape relatively easily reaching and then heading to windward.

And that's ok..

Best way of learning is to do something wrong and figure out what happened.

Go Close Haul... matey  ;)

gallery_21544_326_41502.jpg

Only one problem with this graphic: it's about to be obsolete when OP starts sailing square riggers.

You can't tag your enemy if their Battle Rating is too high. (ex cutter vs constitution or renomee vs 2 pavels and a santisima)

No limit on big ships attacking small ships, 25 first rates can attack a lone basic cutter.

Defensive tag is when you counter tag enemy at max range so they can't catch you in battle. (To avoid ganks but people use it to avoid any PvP at all now)

Edited by Acadian44
  • Like 1

Why shouldn't they be able to attack you? It's pvp, not too many limits please.

The REAL question is... why shouldn't HE be able to attack them? He can't. The BR mechanics prevent him (limits) thus preventing him from defensive tagging. It's wrong. Designed to prevent basic cutters tagging fleets near port battles. A mechanic that punishes those who are in smaller ships having nothing to do with port battles.

LIMITS!

• Like 3

The REAL question is... why shouldn't HE be able to attack them? He can't. The BR mechanics prevent him (limits) thus preventing him from defensive tagging. It's wrong. Designed to prevent basic cutters tagging fleets near port battles. A mechanic that punishes those who are in smaller ships having nothing to do with port battles.

LIMITS!

I agree with this. Today I was being chased down by a few constitutions in a renommee. I tried to defensively tackle but found that my BR was too low to hit the group. This allowed them to surround me and get the perfect wind angle since I could do nothing but continue to sail around waiting for them to tag me.  

• Like 2

I think we've all read too many literary yarns of the rare nautical "ship duels" between nearly equal frigate captains. For every Shannon/Chesapeake gentlemanly challenge, there were scores of what we here would consider "ganks". You can bet that captains back in the day would bring as much overwhelming force as they could. Hell, even our beloved hero Jack Aubrey risks his HMS Ariel in order to slow down a French 74 for the pursuing HMS Jason. I, for one, tend to prefer small task forces of 3-4 ships with varying characteristics. However, if I want evenly matched PvP every now and then, I can pop into the small missions section. And perhaps the upcoming duel arena will have some allure for some.

Edited by Vernon Merrill