Game-Labs Forum

Gain nation reputation to join them

Hi there,

I started as USA, changed to Pirates. But there is no option to join an other nation after this.

Idea:

Sail to the nation capital you want to join. Request to sail under their flag.

Now gather, depending on your level, xx EXP (500-10000 e.g.) AGAINST your old flag. After completing this task sail back to the capital, complete this order and sail under their flag.

Limited to x times/month.

• Like 1

Sounds like a decent idea. I'd say either your idea or simply, you have to surrender x % of your total xp and they'd let you switch back. It's like a pardon with a demotion, make it big enough just to make sure we don't see people flipping left and right. Small enough to recover from a bad decision.

Edited by Ian2492

I voted No for the simple reason this is not what it is to be. More mechanics will be introduced that can and might absorb this idea, like Reputation / Infamy, letters of marque, diplomacy, ...

And there is already a mechanic in place to do it, albeit dramatic. Start a new life in a new nation.

Yes absolutely something is needed like this.

This is a big and complex game. It's not fair to expect someone to choose a nation once before they even enter the world and never be able to change that selection. They may not like the player culture, hours, starting location, etc. Another factor might be population: people choose the Brits or Pirates because of movies they've seen, but then they realize they don't like playing as the most populated faction and would instead prefer an underdog role.

Some of these things (like player culture or population) won't be immediately evident, and it's not fair to expect everyone unsatisfied to re-roll after weeks spent playing.

Edited by 'Sharpe
  • Like 6

Now gather, depending on your level, xx EXP (500-10000 e.g.) AGAINST your old flag. After completing this task sail back to the capital, complete this order and sail under their flag.

Limited to x times/month.

This sounds like a feasible idea.

I would suggest that this XP that your acquiring to gain the new Flag/Pardon is in no way added to your Character XP. It must be a costly exercise to the player.

To make it costly dd also sunk tonnage,  goods tonnage, and Gold payment from captured ships, that you can not loot and no Gold payment, It all goes to the capital and boosts the stock holdings at the warehouse of the nation.

So you are acquiring  a total of  sunk ships and captured ships to the value of

XP,  Gold (from value of goods and ships)  Goods tonnage,  and ship tonnage as payment for the right of citizenship for your new nation. The idea is to make it a costly challenge, so that those who do change are no just changing on a whim.

The only benefit the player gets is at the end of it the right to sail under the new nation flag.

The Time frame should be real life, a month to complete this task.

I'm against this idea. if you want to switch your faction, delete your character and make a new one. You keep XP.

Anyway according to history, deserters, traitors and pirates have no right to join a nation military and should be hanged. :)

I'm against this idea. if you want to switch your faction, delete your character and make a new one. You keep XP.

Anyway according to history, deserters, traitors and pirates have no right to join a nation military and should be hanged. :)

Though current mechanics make sense from a historical point of view, the turning pirate thing is a really hard sanction in NA.

It's a one way ticket and you have to live with it. 

So here's were it does get tricky I agree. I would certainly love to see some way to change back from Pirate to another nation whether it would be by public flogging by the other players in the port capital, sentenced to kill xx # of enemy ships, donate a fairly substantial amount of gold, go on a pilgrimage to the 4 most remote ports located N/S/W/E and perform a series of missions in each one of these,.... whatever.

I mean this is a game, we're here to have fun and there's no reason not to be creative.

Problem is that hard core players will see this as unrealistic and would boycott any such measure. Oh well I voted Yes with Some modifications.

• Like 1

I'm all for nation switching being allowed so long as there's a helluva grind for it, either through a reputation system or via restitution payments over time (not lump so as to avoid people flipping on a whim).  It shouldn't be something one does without a lot of thought and consideration.  It should equate to several weeks worth of time played in order to accomplish it, and should you change your mind part way, you'd then have to grind your way back in reverse.

You should absolutely be allowed to switch nations.

It's simply too complex and slow of a game to expect people to be able to know exactly what nation they want to play in before they have ever even set foot in the game, and having to delete their character once they figure it out is just dumb.

I personally don't think there should be a huge grind to switch nations, but there should be a reputation rating with the nation you're in that requires a lot of XP to go up and always starts at 0 when you switch. That rating would be visible to other players, so that way you can play a freelancer who switches nations all the time, but nobody is going to trust you if they see your rating as being that low.

Basically: You can switch all you want, but people can see how long you've been with the nation you're with, so if they run a conquest fleet or something like that they might simply say "We're only inviting people who have been in the nation for long enough to have a high trust rating". On the other hand, if you find out one of your IRL friends plays the game and you want to switch factions to hang with them then the game won't stop you from just hopping over and playing with that person if they have reasons to trust you other than the rating.

Edited by Aetrion
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually I like this. For all the reasons stated above AND for the fact that there was numerous occasions where general amnesties were proclaimed in the Caribbean. (Mostly when Britain desperately needed sailors....)

It should be possible but annoying enough to put off spies and other riff raff which try to exploit the mechanics.. If the 'switch' had to do with grinding npcs the xp and gold which you gain on the way would benefit new players which wanna have a look around first..

Edited by ValoWay

• 2 weeks later...

Yes absolutely something is needed like this.

This is a big and complex game. It's not fair to expect someone to choose a nation once before they even enter the world and never be able to change that selection. They may not like the player culture, hours, starting location, etc. Another factor might be population: people choose the Brits or Pirates because of movies they've seen, but then they realize they don't like playing as the most populated faction and would instead prefer an underdog role.

Some of these things (like player culture or population) won't be immediately evident, and it's not fair to expect everyone unsatisfied to re-roll after weeks spent playing.

Completely agree.

I am massively in favour of reputation and national view of your standing with that nation. Allowing sailing for other or switching nations gets my vote.

It may also be a simple mechanic to help keep play numbers balanced. Sail for a huge nation gain less XP when fighting against tiny nation. Play a tiny nation get bonus XP for fighting the large nation. Allow some form of side switching to allow player to migrate between nations on the servers.

Got to keep saying it but Sid nailed it in Pirates!