Game-Labs Forum

Could We Downvote This Review?

I am usually not for censorship. At all. I think everyone should be critical of a game in whatever case. But this review is just misleading people. I have no idea how it got as many upvotes as it did. It claims a pay to win model is coming to the game, without backing proof or anything of the sort. This is not a call out of fanboyism, just saying, that review is all the way on the top and everyone who is reading reviews may be mislead.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197964096634/recommended/311310/

There was very constructive critism on the game, I'd like to see more of that rather than this.

Original quote in case he changes his review;

While the game is already fun and dandy I decided to request a refund because the developers intent to install a Cash Shop for "Premium Ships" which will be better than default (and even crafted) player ships (Only "exceptionally crafted ships" will be better, as the devs said).
This is selling power for money, or "Pay 2 Win"! I dont want to support that.

Forum post he also made:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/311310/discussions/1/458606877319677531/#p1

Edited by Kokerpiraat
  • Like 2

Well yes this is not an honest review, but censorship is not the sulotion for this (Freedom of speech duhhh  :P),  if you want to downvote it, fine but don't encourage others to do it please.

Because we need to respect eachothers opinion even if they are wrong and stupid.

• Like 1

Well yes this is not an honest review, but censorship is not the sulotion for this (Freedom of speech duhhh  :P),  if you want to downvote it, fine but don't encourage others to do it please.

Because we need to respect eachothers opinion even if they are wrong and stupid.

err if someones opinion is wrong or stupid please do not ask me to respect it.  Correct it, educate the person but freedom of speech does not mean respect mis information at best and blatant lies at worse. You can respect who you wish, i will not respect an idiot posting information that is wrong.

err if someones opinion is wrong or stupid please do not ask me to respect it.  Correct it, educate the person but freedom of speech does not mean respect mis information at best and blatant lies at worse. You can respect who you wish, i will not respect an idiot posting information that is wrong.

Yes but censorship won't solve the problem.

Freedom of speech does not apply to private discussion boards.

I honestly feel you can't get an honest review without at least 24 hours of gameplay. Looking at this particular reviewers other reviews I don't see how any one could respect his views, he barely plays the games he reviews.

• Like 2

I think freedom of speech should be limited when you are spreading bullshit. Misinformation and things which go against the facts.

We know what he says isn't true, so I don't see why we should let him feed up people with lies.

Edited by Kokerpiraat
  • Like 2

This modern idea that we must respect opinions even if they are moronic, even hateful, is nonsense. Idiocy isn't an excuse to be rude or abusive, but there's no good reason not to call them out. The problem with Steam nowdays is that refunds allow people to play a game for thirty minutes, refund when they aren't spoon fed everything or it isn't a totally polished full feature product (in alpha) and write negative reviews. Why not combat that? The thing to do is not be abusive in the comments because that makes our community look bad.

• Like 4

This modern idea that we must respect opinions even if they are moronic, even hateful, is nonsense. Idiocy isn't an excuse to be rude or abusive, but there's no good reason not to call them out. The problem with Steam nowdays is that refunds allow people to play a game for thirty minutes, refund when they aren't spoon fed everything or it isn't a totally polished full feature product (in alpha) and write negative reviews. Why not combat that? The thing to do is not be abusive in the comments because that makes our community look bad.

Thank you for eloquently responding exactly how I wanted to!

I feel like anyone who actually knows what pay to win is should get a cookie in the mail.

P2W is NOT pay4smalladvantage or Pay4Uniques. Pay to win is paying TO WIN, IE buying an ironclad from the future to sail around Nassau sinking everyone in wood boats. Pay to win would be the Santi only being sold for real life cash.

Stupid people everywhere. Lol.

I feel like anyone who actually knows what pay to win is should get a cookie in the mail.

P2W is NOT pay4smalladvantage or Pay4Uniques. Pay to win is paying TO WIN, IE buying an ironclad from the future to sail around Nassau sinking everyone in wood boats. Pay to win would be the Santi only being sold for real life cash.

Stupid people everywhere. Lol.

Not defending the review in the OP, but no, you're wrong. 

Pay to win is pay to have a sizable advantage over other players, either in time (you automatically get one of the best ships while they'd have to spend weeks, if not more, to get it) or in strenght. By your definition, virtually no game would be pay to win, as very few games actually have introduced a marketplace-only item that's better than anything else in the game. No major games, at least.

Calling it other cute names like "pay4convenience" or "pay4unique" is misleading. I don't know about this game's plans for a cash shop - and I'm not commenting on that - but if a cash shop offers a top tier item for USD (or euros) that takes weeks or months for normal players to acquire, it's pay to win. It's not 100%, all-the-time, I-can't-be-beaten pay2win. It's "95% of the time, for months on end, I'll have a sizable advantage over the rest of the plebe" pay2win. 

I, for one, hope the game will not go in that direction. I'd much more prefer a subscription than a cash shop, to be frank.

Edited by Alejandro

Not defending the review in the OP, but no, you're wrong. 

Pay to win is pay to have a sizable advantage over other players, either in time (you automatically get one of the best ships while they'd have to spend weeks, if not more, to get it) or in strenght. By your definition, virtually no game would be pay to win, as very few games actually have introduced a marketplace-only item that's better than anything else in the game. No major games, at least.

Calling it other cute names like "pay4convenience" or "pay4unique" is misleading. I don't know about this game's plans for a cash shop - and I'm not commenting on that - but if a cash shop offers a top tier item for USD (or euros) that takes weeks or months for normal players to acquire, it's pay to win. It's not 100%, all-the-time, I-can't-be-beaten pay2win. It's "95% of the time, for months on end, I'll have a sizable advantage over the rest of the plebe" pay2win. 

I, for one, hope the game will not go in that direction. I'd much more prefer a subscription than a cash shop, to be frank.

Admin outlines the Devs stance on this thread if you hadn't already seen it :)

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/8724-can-anyone-debunk-the-rumours-surrounding-this-game/#entry162938

• 1 year later...

Sometimes I go over Steam reviews of the game I own. Most are not mainstream and decidedly on the indie front.

Why ? There are a lot of issue presented on the reviews which the players did not have the information at hand.

What I have come to understand is that the first 5 hours are the impression and the follow up 45 hours are expectation.

As there aren't games out there that fit all players chances are Naval Action will not live up to the 45 hours expectations... because it is a game under intricate and heavy development - which drinks too much from the community ideas!

It is a conscious decision of the player that it is not the game he was expecting, given the information provided and his own way of interpreting that information and not what the game actually means to the player that did go beyond the expectation phase and gained deepest knowledge on how to interpret and use the game as a way to give life to the story, to a character or simply as a social venue to play together with a community.

Flagging reviews is always the better option. Why ?

It calls to attention of the Developers to a review that might have not been updated for a long time - and this is especially important on Early Access products like Naval Action. Second it makes your own "reviewer" empowerment brought to the table when two equally measured reviews may be interpreted equally - constructive negative vs disruptive positive.

A purchase is not to be confused with a ongoing relationship but social engagement with a product. ( it is apparent that many of the customers do not make this separation while others understand it fully ).

So why not go through Naval Action reviews and give a hand to some and flag-to-attention some others ? Pushing the Flag is not a negative action. It is the most positive choice a customer can have and even flagging his own review so Developers receive the feedback.

Citing a marketing resource for indie studios, when analyzing a different game also with sailing aspect imbued into the game -

First, the user identifies what he takes issue with in the game. Second, he explains why he takes issue. Third, he offers a suggestion for how this issue could be improved or even fixed.

By doing these three things, this Steam user is giving the game’s developer actionable feedback. In addition, he is providing other users with information that is specific enough where an informed buying decision can be made. If the user said something like “the sailing aspect is boring,” other users may dismiss the game as boring in general and not make a purchase. However, because this user specifically states why he believes sailing is boring, other users have more information to determine whether they too would find sailing boring for this reason, or whether this reasoning should even factor in their buying decision.
Emmy Jonassen - A Call for Responsible Steam User Reviews

12 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Those reviews and post from him and other guys like him are over a year old.  The game has changed a lot since than.  I would never take a review that old on an EA game to heart.

Reviewers who post bullshit about Pay2Win and dev censorship are harmful regardless of their age.

And does Steam filter out old reviews? People are going to read whatever comes up first on the page.

Interesting enough it was Valve's primary reason when it was created. Flag was added due to old/spam/hate reviews.

Hence flagging them for review, being old reviews or being outright false, is quite important for the games I and you all like.

According to devs they have tons of people buying the game every day, so looks like the poor reviews are failing anyway.  But I have to agree with STS above, who looks at a review of an early access game from over a year ago and takes it all seriously?  Lazy, unmotivated people I guess.  I generally discard those reviews too, or at least only lightly regard it as potentially valid.

Edited by Jean Ribault