Game-Labs Forum

Spritsails were taken in for battle as they impeded visibility forward so much.

Obviously players can control sails as they please, but the variation from bare poles to all plain sail is sort of jarring. When roll is in, presumably people would reduce to fighting sail to mitigate heel and dampen roll---for the purposes of more accurate gunnery.

While not a tester or a strong follower seen it all before with POTBS.

While the video's make the game look very nice there are many bits in need of large amounts of work.

1) Pitch and Yaw of the ships

2) Sail Damage model

3) Hull damage model

4) Game speed

5) Sail positions

6) Sail movement

I agree with M V Ghent  and Ryan21 and hope to see many of these things improved over the next few months

While the video's make the game look very nice there are many bits in need of large amounts of work.

1) Pitch and Yaw of the ships

2) Sail Damage model

3) Hull damage model

4) Game speed

5) Sail positions

6) Sail movement

I agree with M V Ghent  and Ryan21 and hope to see many of these things improved over the next few months

Let's make it extra clear that what the videos show is alpha footage. A lot will change, many things (including, but certainly not limited to, the things you have mentioned) have been noted as temporary or subject to change by the development team, a lot of feedback is being given (and acknowledged), etc, etc. Please, do not mistake the videos for anything near the final gameplay product.

~Brigand

• Like 1

I'm not really sure what you mean by you've "seen it all before with Potbs."

The differences between this and Potbs is enormous unless you speak of just the fact that two age of sail ships are fighting it out.

The pace of the fight is much slower than Potbs

Its obviously much better looking

Its sailing mechanics are more advanced then Potbs

There are no magical skills

A ball can cause damage to both armor facings as it passes through both.

You actually have to aim your shots

You fight from a much closer perspective to the ship you sail

It uses a buoyancy metric for sinking, not just the reduction of internal structure

This just names a few :)

• Like 3

From the footage here, NA is looking great.

I can't wait to get some time with it hands on.

The UI is obviously only there as a placeholder, and I'm sure quite a bit will change before we get close to release, but the rest is awe inspiring.

Will most of the viewing be third person like in those videos? Or is that just for testing purposes? IMO it makes the ships look kind of small and gamey if the camera is rotating around them at supersonic speeds.

I think it would be much more impressive to have all the viewing be mandatory from deck, where the masts are actually towering over your head. That also makes the situational awareness much more realistic. Or am I being too puritan here?

• Like 1

I think you see it too severe.

In reality you have all your senses to inform you about the surrounding. Feel the wind, the deck. Walk around in natural ways.

No computergame can simulate this so we need a substitute to gather all the informations to gather.

That said I am fine with the possibility to scroll out.

You may have notived that we are not able to scroll any further than the head of our masts.

And its pretty hard to get along all the steering and shooting etc and at the same time keeping a good situational awareness when its a close range fight.

the first version of the game did not have outside view. (a-la AC3 in combat)

But ships are too beautiful to not let players to look at them from the outside view. People persuaded us to get this feature done. 

• Like 1

The ships sure look beautiful. But nobody prevents you from seeing the enemy ships from the outside ;-)

Maybe you could think of at least limiting the elevation of the external camera as well as reducing the panning speed of the external view. This way you give players full opportunity for making nice screenshots and admiring the ships, while discouraging them from using the external camera as the primary battle view.

Like I said, if the camera flies faster than any fighter jet could (which they currently do), my brain fixes the problem by telling me that the ships are LEGO size. Seriously, the ships in the short YouTube clips look gorgeous to me, but in the battle vids they look like toy models. I totally blame the camera angle and panning speed for that.

The ships sure look beautiful. But nobody prevents you from seeing the enemy ships from the outside ;-)

Maybe you could think of at least limiting the elevation of the external camera as well as reducing the panning speed of the external view. This way you give players full opportunity for making nice screenshots and admiring the ships, while discouraging them from using the external camera as the primary battle view.

Like I said, if the camera flies faster than any fighter jet could (which they currently do), my brain fixes the problem by telling me that the ships are LEGO size. Seriously, the ships in the short YouTube clips look gorgeous to me, but in the battle vids they look like toy models. I totally blame the camera angle and panning speed for that.

It's been suggested in another thread that captains should be able to zoom out further to aid in the task of manually aiming cannons, while other say they should not be able to zoom out past the quarterdeck. As for the camera speed, if you look to your left, then look to your right, how fast can you move your head?

Personally, I don't think there is much of an issue with the camera zoom or speed. In my mind, it is a middle ground between those who want a first person, and those who want a third person, as currently it supports both to an extent, and also makes filming exciting Youtube videos that much easier. ;)

post-2274-0-13743400-1394649722_thumb.gif

• Like 2

Sorry, I used the wrong word. I thought panning meant moving sideways (i.e. 'strafing'), but it means rotating. Obviously rotation can be much faster. 

But you have to admit, when you look at that short clip taken from the water line, you feel like you're in the water next to a huge majestic ship. But when you look from the battle camera located higher than the tops of the masts, you don't feel like you're about to plunge 20 meters down. This is because the unrealistic perspective completely ruins your sense of scale. Am I the only one who has that?

Anyway, I guess I'll just stick to quarterdeck view myself, problem solved.

I'm not too knowledgeable on the physics involved in sailing so I couldn't make any remarks as to it's accuracy in the videos. However, the game is coming along beautifully. 

Like someone previously mentioned, I wish I had seen more stormy weather. That would have been awesome, however, sea battles probably didn't take place in those conditions anyways. 

A small question to those better informed. Are there plans to incorporate people moving along deck, working on the sails, and the like?

Great video but....no damage signs on sails?

The game is very early alpha. Game Labs is focusing on gameplay more than visuals (and especially more than UI) right now.  B) Frankly I'm impressed at how relatively polished the game seems from videos, given how small their team is.

• Like 2