Game-Labs Forum

It takes 15-20 mins to enter Port with bad wind.

How often does this happen? Honest question. at most i have to take 5 minutes, most of the time it is not a problem what so ever, if it takes 15-20 minutes to enter a port then you need to maybe think that the game isnt the problem here but maybe it is how you approach the port that is the problem?

edit: also, at what point do you start counting? when you just quit a battle and the closest port is 15 minutes? or when you are entering the cove or whatever(in the area of the port)

Edited by OlavDeng2

No it doesn't, or are you not tacking?

There are a few ports that are exceptions, in that the throat is long and narrow enough that they do not really have room to tack effectively, but still 15-20 min is an exaggeration for any port I've personally visited, and some I've visited in the past have been improved to make it even easier.

It takes 15-20 mins to enter a Port inside the cove when wind is bad. Do you think players will handle this? I personally would rather spend that time fighting and looking for new targets. You have to do something about it and fix it.

Wat.

15-20 minutes is highly over exaggerated.

It usually takes me either 5 minutes at best when sailing against the wind to enter the port. By then the wind would've shifted slightly left allowing another knot or two of speed.

I hope to almighty Thor this game doesn't become so arcade-y that we're sailing 10 knots at all times. Might as well buy some oars and stick it out the cannon barrels and begin rowing.

Edited by MrWhuping

When i started to play this game, i was really happy to see, that it is not possible to sail in any direction with always having the same speed. Actually it should not be possible at all to sail directly into the wind. Until now i only have experiences with the Yacht, but i hope that full rigged three Mast Ships cant sail that much close hauled in the open World.

To have problems with the Wind coming from a disadvantageous direction is part of the age of Sail and thus it should stay part of this game. :)

• Like 1

When i started to play this game, i was really happy to see, that it is not possible to sail in any direction with always having the same speed. Actually it should not be possible at all to sail directly into the wind. Until now i only have experiences with the Yacht, but i hope that full rigged three Mast Ships cant sail that much close hauled in the open World.

To have problems with the Wind coming from a disadvantageous direction is part of the age of Sail and thus it should stay part of this game. :)

i can tell you know, all ships can sail close hauled in this game(which i think is fair, otherwise it becomes too realistic and too much of a pain in the arse) however square riggers can only do so extremely slowly.

Big world + Bad Wind = Huge amount of time wasted to move short distance. Yes we can close haul, but it is still too slow. It would not be that noticeable if we had smaller world, but since we have a great realistic masterpiece I think it would be a good idea to speed up wind change.

All I am trying to say is make wind change faster around ports and more variable in the open ocean. 

Big world + Bad Wind = Huge amount of time wasted to move short distance. Yes we can close haul, but it still too slow. It would not be that noticeable if we had smaller world, but since we have a great realistic masterpiece I think it would be a good idea to speed up wind change.

All I am trying to say is make wind change faster around ports. 

im asking again, from where do you start measuring the time? as i have never had such a long time and most other here seem to agree... if you can answer that question maybe we can have further discussion with you about this(well i atleast)

im asking again, from where do you start measuring the time? as i have never had such a long time and most other here seem to agree... if you can answer that question maybe we can have further discussion with you about this(well i atleast)

Outside the cove near Savannah, bad wind remained into my face for good 15 mins. It doesn't matter where I count from, as a player and tester I feel this is bad. It might effect many players when game is released. Players need to sail and not to sit dead in the water wait for wind change. All I am asking is to speed up wind rotation near ports. 

Outside the cove near Savannah, bad wind remained into my face for good 15 mins. It doesn't matter where I count from, as a player and tester I feel this is bad. It might effect many players when game is released. Players need to sail and not to sit dead in the water wait for wind change. All I am asking is to speed up wind rotation near ports. 

looking at that, i think you might be either blatantly lying or misleading us on porpouse, its been a few days but i think that is the time it takes to enter the bay of maricaibo with bad wind... and there you cant tack at all, but cant tell for sure regarding savannah, might sail over there to check but it definetly does not look right considering when looking at some of the online maps there should be plenty of room to tack and the wind changes fast enough, within a couple of minutes if the wind is coming directly from where you want to go you should start picking up speed, even more so if you tack properly

Well, i really dont think, that this is happening very often. And if you really have bad luck and the wind is coming exactly from were you want to sail to, i would just do something else for 10 minutes.. or wait until i reach the Harbour. This shouldn't be such a big problem. When i play i dont need to have every minute used as effective as possible.

• Like 1

I had it happen to me yesterday while entering Phillipsburg. Crawling south at 3 kts in a Connie. When I finally reached the point where I could turn east to enter the port the wind had shifted enough to still be off my bow. Easily 15 minutes of tedium.

I wouldn't change a speed the wind changes. Instead I would increase the speed of a ship sailing into the wind in the OW. Could still be slower, just not that much slower.

fair enough, but if you are worries about new players... well why be? they will be sailing the smaller ships first, the fore and aft riggers that have absolutely no problem with this, if they have problem i would imagine they move back to the fore and aft riggers or they just learn how to deal with it, while i can see it happen maybe once every 500 hours of the game(i personally have yet had it happen properly to me), so i dont see it as an issue.

Not to be heartless, but it isn't new players I'm worried about so much as me twiddling my thumbs and wishing I were playing the game instead.

It is like the 'Noodling Around Trying to Enter a Port With Shallows' problem - there may be some semblance of reality to it, but to me it is just dreadfully boring and frustrating game play.

That comment was more directed at wind, but to adress you, how often does it happen? really? when the majority does not have the problem, and i have not had the problem once... one thing you might try is to plan which port you are going to depending on the wind, doing that should help a lot.

How the ability to equip 'Upgrade' for 'Towing' which allows your boat to sail against the wind for a few added knots for a short time, maybe with a cooldown? This way if you're a bit of a ways out from port, you can get to port a little faster. Maybe a 5-10 minute increase of 3–4 knots to OW speed.

Alternatively, they could just increase the range a bit where you can 'Enter Port'.

By towing, I'm inferring that this is happening: h52488.jpg

Edited by Arnaud Arpes