Game-Labs Forum

It takes 15-20 mins to enter Port with bad wind.

How the ability to equip 'Upgrade' for 'Towing' which allows your boat to sail against the wind for a few added knots for a short time, maybe with a cooldown? This way if you're a bit of a ways out from port, you can get to port a little faster. Maybe a 5-10 minute increase of 3–4 knots to OW speed.

Alternatively, they could just increase the range a bit where you can 'Enter Port'.

By towing, I'm inferring that this is happening: h52488.jpg

this could work, but instead of increasing speed by a set amount it should just give you a speed of like 4-5 knots(so as to not be abused), and also only within a certain radius of the port

Yes, just making the minimum speed 5 kts (and I would say anywhere, not just outside of ports), would reduce the tedium enormously.

To those that argue to plan better, etc., if a player has an only hour slotted to play 15, then minutes is 25% of their allotted game time. How many times do you think they'll put up crawling along a 2 or 3 kts before they opt for a different game?

Edited by GrapeShot

Yes, just making the minimum speed 5 kts (and I would say anywhere, not just outside of ports), would reduce the tedium enormously.

To those that argue to plan better, etc., if a player has an only hour slotted to play 15, then minutes is 25% of their allotted game time. How many times do you think they'll put up crawling along a 2 or 3 kts before they opt for a different game?

i disagree with this however, if you want to be able to go max speed whatever angle to the wind, go play AC4... seriously though i dislike this idea and it would take away from the game, sure it is annoying but it is part of the game and i think it should stay.

edit: also if you only have 1 hour to play... this is not the game for you considering a battle could easily last an hour...

Edited by OlavDeng2
  • Like 1

They aren't required to find a port to log out.  With the new code that lets you sit and wait until it logs off while keeping a watchful eye out for an attack by AI or another player, you can be logged out safely inside of two minutes.  If, on the other hand, you're just annoyed that you can't sail anywhere, any time, without having to account for the wind, you're basically trying to remove the need to actually sail correctly from the game, which I don't like.  You're also crippling the advantages to fore/aft rigged vessels have over their square rigged cousins, not to mention the different wind/angle curves on each vessel.  Tactically, the wind is just about the most important thing to sailing a vessel of the area.  Taking that out of the game, even in open world, removes far too much of the reality of the era.

If the port you want to operate out of is difficult or impossible to enter at certain wind periods, I might suggest choosing another port from which to operate.  There are plenty with almost entirely open approaches.  :)

• Like 1

sure it is annoying but it is part of the game and i think it should stay.

It is an odd thing. Everybody is annoyed, or at least everybody in TS, the forums and game chat is annoyed, by the slow speed into the wind, yet a few people fight tooth and nail to keep it in.

Why?

Seems like alleviating a universal annoyance would be the wise thing to do.

• Like 1

We might as well remove it from battle as well.  And remove the waves because it is harder to hit.  Or ricochets because they don't do much damage.  Or give everyone gold pellew's sights.  Or decrease dispersion.  Let's remove all annoyances in life.

It is an odd thing. Everybody is annoyed, or at least everybody in TS, the forums and game chat is annoyed, by the slow speed into the wind, yet a few people fight tooth and nail to keep it in.

Why?

Seems like alleviating a universal annoyance would be the wise thing to do.

Because the way it was eliminated in real life was by inventing the steam engine, and subsequently the internal combustion engine.  Wind powered ships can not move against the wind.  They must beat upwind or heave-to until the wind changes to a more favorable direction.  We're actually privileged that in the game, the wind always moves in a quick, highly predictable manner.  If you're coming up to a port that may be hard to enter against the wind, and the wind is beginning to shift into an unfavorable direction, you can plan ahead to come in behind it, leaving yourself in a position where it is shifting farther and farther into a more favorable direction as you approach.  Failure to plan ahead doesn't absolve you of the responsibility of sailing your  sailboat.

While Prater used a reductio ad absurdium argument, he's also correct in his way.  There are plenty of things about the age of sail that the modern gamer might find annoying, however, "it annoys everyone" isn't a valid, nor good, reason to remove it from the game.

Edited by Oliver H. Perry

It is also not an invalid argument to minimize it (I never said to remove it) in the game. Like you say, real life wind doesn't spin around in a predictable circle -- why is the lowest allowable speed so sacred???

You answered your own question there. It's the only aspect of sailing represented in the OW. Take that away and you have nothing.

Also, otherwise none of you lazy buggers will learn to tack. :P

• Like 1

You answered your own question there. It's the only aspect of sailing represented in the OW. Take that away and you have nothing.

Also, otherwise none of you lazy buggers will learn to tack. :P

This, i enjoy sailing in real life, part of it is tacking, part of it is planning your route, if we remove that, we could just as well start playing assasins creed 4 where that is not a problem, sure we can do rowboats that pull you into the port at like 5 knots as an option within a radius, but i dont want to remove the wind element, it is a part of the game, it is a part of real life as well, the devs dont want to make an arcade game like assasins creed 4, and honestly, while it is annoying i have never felt like anyone(apart from in this thread) want it gone, sure they find it annoying at times, but it never felt like they wanted to get rid of it, the only thing they want is more realistic wind patterns, i really think we should be allowed to get stuck in the wind, it can also help with open world tactics, lure someone into a trap where they are stuck in the wind and jump on him, with a system where you cant get stuck in the wind, you cant do that anymore.

TL:DR man up and deal with it, wind is something we need in the game as we are not playing assassins creed 4, lets not turn this game into assassins creed 4 either.

• Like 1

Everyone sails at different parts of the world, so it will not be the same for everyone. It's all up to devs now, we address the problems and they decide what to do with them. I just hope they will change wind rotation to something more advanced. Especially wind around ports must be more favorable. 

It's all up to devs now, we address the problems and they decide what do do with them. I just hope they will change wind rotation to something more advanced. 

this, unlike all your other suggestions, i can agree with however just a warning, it will not help with your issue if we go to a more advanced and realistic system.

Just my five cents to this...

I totally appreciate the realistic handling of the sailing ships. Just played one evening (yesterday) and it was a bit complicated for me as a newbie to get an overview about all the features, but I got it. And I think it would be sad to make motor boats out of the sailing ships. Especially the realism in handling is a main reason to play and recommend this game to others - just my opinion.

Henry d'Esterre Darby hit the nail on the head when he said: "Please don't take sailing out of the sailing game." - Thats also my point.

A game don't have to guarantee a big efficiency but fun and I think: This game stands for the sailing age! What is more important for sailing than the incalculability of the wind?

I really love it as it is! Possibly that I will sigh sometimes, when I wait for the wind coming from behind of me... But please, don't change that! :)

• Like 4

Everyone sails at different parts of the world, so it will not be the same for everyone. It's all up to devs now, we address the problems and they decide what to do with them. I just hope they will change wind rotation to something more advanced. Especially wind around ports must be more favorable. 

Wind is a global server setting.

If it gets us locally variable wind I will support any carebear convenience proposal. :D

I'm totally against noobifying the OW sailing any further.

If the devs think there is a problem, then here is an idea:

If you are within a few miles of a port and not moving, you can press a 'Wait for Tide' button. Your screen fades to black for a moment, and then you get a 5-knot boost to dead upwind speed.

I have to admit, that after suggesting a 5 kt minimum OW speed and being called a carebear and being accused of trying to remove wind, waves, ricochets and what-not from the game for my heresy, that I am pretty amused by the above post.

Anyhoo ... if you can forgive my further carebearery ... I think I would like to amend my 5 kt minimum to frigates and below. I think SOLs should probably have a slower minimum speed, 3 or 4 kts, to make them harder to move long distances for port battles and such.

Edited by GrapeShot

Heck, why not go for broke.. Have periods of dead calm, no wind. Even in battle. See what realistic is.  Maybe you can use some of your crew to tow your ships...

Tis all I got... 

Congratulations on a fine Reductio ad absurdum. Pity you couldn't find a better use for your 4th post...

The wind blows at a perfectly constant speed that must be around 30 knots, while everyone flies their royals. Certainly no danger of realism breaking out.

• Like 1

I LOVE the new wind changes, best part of patch 9 IMO.  Being able to go 4 knots vs 1 knot 15 degrees off the head wind is so much less annoying.  We already have time compression, this is just a natural tweak that needed to be made.  The only ppl I see complaining about the speed needing to be so punishing I never see playing in game, as much as ppl want this to be a full naval simulator this game isn't going for MS Flight Simulator or DCS type realism here...

admin please keep this type of speed for OW, in combat instances, more realism is fine.