Game-Labs Forum

Ship Classes instead of Ship Names

Currently, ships are all (for the most part) named based on their original name in the real world. For example, 'the Renommee'. The Renomme was was a 'Galathee class frigate' and there were sister ships to her. Another, the Cerberus, would fall into the 'Coventry-class frigate'. I feel that for the sake of immersion the ships should be renamed in-game to the class which they are, if applicable.

There are ships like the HMS Victory, which have a class of 'First-Rate and obviously the size, guns, etc of first rate's differed from nation to nation and ship to ship and year to year. So it's difficult to pin some to a specific class. Those could perhaps continue to be listed as they are, or possibly named something like 'Victory Class First Rate' or 'Santísima Class First Rate'.

So, similar to how you see 'Frigate, Cutter, Brig,' now. You'd see more of that and less of named ships in the world.

EDIT: The main reason for this, being that someday hopefully we'll be able to name our ships and have the names appear in the world. So having a 'Renommee named Intimidator' wouldn't seem as right as having a 'Galathee Class Frigate, named Intimidator.'

Edited by Arnaud Arpes
  • Like 14

Huh? Renommée´s (near-) sister ships were Medée and Sirène. Haran´s Galathée class started in 1779.

The ship was originally named Républicaine française and was on 30 May 1795 renamed to Renommée. Maybe my source is incorrect, but according to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galath%C3%A9e-class_frigate the Renommee was a Galathee.

I would support that, or even a large pool (of 'historical sounding' names) and the name is automatically generated for the ship when it is crafted. I'd love to name my own ship but weighing that against all the racist and trolly names we would be sailing around I would rather have names assigned to my ships. 

• Like 1

if you want names for ships, as I do, then make no list to choose from....  borrrriiinnnngggggg. I understand some limits. Bad and offensive language should be blocked but otherwise, if its in the dictionary and fits the max sized name that can fit on the back of the boat then let it be.

Live with the consequences of allowing names in the first place. Its your game to not loose immersion but its their game to have some fun with it. Why your way over their's when their way doesn't hurt anyone or change any goals or mechanics of the game.

• Like 1

I'd be 100% in favour of having a set vocabulary for ship names, either to pick from or a generator. Frankly, I'd be content to have the choice out of our hands, and have the names automatically assigned. After all, historically speaking a ship's captain would rarely if ever have a say in her name - that would be the province of the architect/dockyard/navy/owner/company (pick one).

If anything, automatically assigned names would add to immersion, particularly if each nation had its own name pool. Eg. if you see a British captain sailing a ship with "Santa Leocadia" on the name-board, or a French ship sporting a name like "Berwick", you immediately get a sense of both the player's and the ship's stories. Possibly the option could be made available to rename captured foreign ships - eg. the Royal Navy wouldn't countenance a name smacking of revolutionary leanings like L'Unite; something like Surprise would be much more suitable!  :D

• Like 2

They renamed Unité because they already had a Unité (ex-Gracieuse). And the RN wasn´t choosy when it came to names anyway, His Majesty´s Ship Révolutionnaire is a good example for this :P

But I´m all for a pool of 'approved' names for each nation. If we want more customisation, maybe allow for player-given nicknames? Could be tied to x number of battles won or something.

Hah! I stand well and truly corrected  :P

Tying ship renaming rights to battles won is an interesting idea - a sign of affection from a crew proud of their ship's accomplishments. You could go further than number of battles won; maybe unlockable prefixes like "The Joyful [X]" for a ship with long-term high morale, perhaps; "The Flying [X]" for a given accomplishment of speed; "The Bold [X]" for exploration; "The Stout [X]" for taking a given amount of damage without sinking, etc.

Me likes :)

Thought a bit more about this and a name pool + player-given nicknames seems a nice balance between historical accuracy and customisation, especially if there´s a toggle in the options to hide/show nicknames of other players (I for one certainly don´t want to see the creative efforts of my fellow captains :P ).

Same could be done with colour schemes, so one could sail a pink-white frigate Minerva 'OMFG Hello Kitty' while others with the hide options on just see a standart black-yellow ocre ship called Minerva.

I like the idea of both a list of names, both historical and historically fitting, that can be chosen. I also think that giving your ship a name should also be allowed, but I think a named ship is SPECIFICALLY a paid item. Buy a $2.99 naming token, that let's you rename any ship to anything you want, with the one caveat being "All names must fit the time period, and should be either approved by an in game mod or dev, or accept the consequences of the ship having the name reverted."

Naming a ship, or officers on a ship, or having sails with a fine embroidered design, or fancy figurehead on your ship, all seem like dress up things, that add no advantage in game, but add fun to the player that has it, and the people that fight alongside, or against said person. It is in my humble opinion, similar to gun skins in CS:GO. You know how much GabeN makes off those skins? Well I am all for this game making a little scratch to add more content, via us getting some naming rights to ships.

Hah! I stand well and truly corrected  :P

Tying ship renaming rights to battles won is an interesting idea - a sign of affection from a crew proud of their ship's accomplishments. You could go further than number of battles won; maybe unlockable prefixes like "The Joyful [X]" for a ship with long-term high morale, perhaps; "The Flying [X]" for a given accomplishment of speed; "The Bold [X]" for exploration; "The Stout [X]" for taking a given amount of damage without sinking, etc.

I like your original idea. I'm obviously a proponent of being able to name my ship whatever the hell I want to (within reason) you make a valid argument that ships were given to Captain with names already attached to them and so I think that would be a reasonable alternative to "anything goes" with the addition of the nickname idea.

I think the adjustment to these ideas is that the nickname is something earned not automatic and it must be earned with individual ships. Doing well in one ship does not allow a Captain to nickname all his ships. Nicknaming ships should be a reward. I would then advocate that the nickname is up to the Captain without restrictions beyond the obvious. I would also suggest that the nicknaming should be a function of pvp and not your thousandth kill against NPCs which everyone will get eventually.

Nicknames could also be rewarded for specific actions and not just the number of pvp kills. For instance, if you take part in a pvp battle that is a full 25v25, battered to less than 10% of your armor on all facings and still survive then you are rewarded with a nickname option. These kind of events are the kind of events that would likely inspire nicknames in real life don't you think?

I can see the benefit of knowing what ship you are approaching, and the gaming of recognizing what's out there and their names. No doubt that after a time, players can identify ships at a glance. Ships at a distance have no identification except ones own judgment through the glass until the ship are closer and the name appears. Given that, a tiered system could actually work.

At distance, like now, no identification but one's own experience. At a certain distance the type of ship or class. And finally after some closing, the name of the ship. Of course, the use of a glass should advance that process by what ever percentage is deemed appropriate.

The only other option I see (and easier) outside of the current system would be the option of a key to switch back and forth from type to name.

• Like 1

I'd be 100% in favour of having a set vocabulary for ship names, either to pick from or a generator. Frankly, I'd be content to have the choice out of our hands, and have the names automatically assigned. After all, historically speaking a ship's captain would rarely if ever have a say in her name - that would be the province of the architect/dockyard/navy/owner/company (pick one).

If anything, automatically assigned names would add to immersion, particularly if each nation had its own name pool. Eg. if you see a British captain sailing a ship with "Santa Leocadia" on the name-board, or a French ship sporting a name like "Berwick", you immediately get a sense of both the player's and the ship's stories. Possibly the option could be made available to rename captured foreign ships - eg. the Royal Navy wouldn't countenance a name smacking of revolutionary leanings like L'Unite; something like Surprise would be much more suitable!  :D

This is a great idea - both the assignment of names and the permanence of names after capture by another nation.