Game-Labs Forum

Please add 'Tab' function to spot nearby ships.

Please add 'Tab' to spot and focus on nearby enemy ships. Alt+Tab friendly ships. Players will loose their eyes trying to click on that tiny dot on the horizon.

Also, please add ability to click on port and see it's name and description from the distance.

• Like 4

I think the purpose for this mechanic is to make it difficult to detect and hail ships that are far away as it should be.

In fact I believable the hailing mechanic such as, country, and ship type identifier, should not appear until boats are much closer than they do now, this will force players that are looking to fight to  close their distance in an attempt to identify  targets instead of the long distances (Radar mode)  we have now.

Edited by Rramsha
  • Like 3

Seriously.  Plus this would be an outright cheat once camera is limited.  It's really not that hard to click on a sail on the horizon.

It kinda is.

It's ergonomically frustrating and rather glitchy.

I have to click ten times to pick up a single contact sometimes. Or worse, I find myself unable to select because my own vessel is vaguely in the way, and have to rotate the camera by trial and error until it works.

• Like 1

It kinda is.

I have to click ten times to pick up a single contact sometimes. Or worse, I find myself unable to select because my own vessel is vaguely in the way, and have to rotate the camera by trial and error until it works.

Well it looks like I am not alone. It is more convenient to just have a preset range to (x miles) radius and use single button to spot ships and their info in that radius. It is just tiring to keep rotating camera over and over. 

• Like 1

Being the ship look-out at his post is right now the only on-deck activity while not in combat.

To me, the trend should be in diversifying those on-deck activities, not automating the only one.

However, the hail mechanism can surely be improved. :)

When/if there are several on-deck activities sometime (navigation, exploring with spyglass...), I guess it could be great to have the ability to automate some at will (that is to delegate some tasks to the crew) in order to focus on others. 

In the meantime, there could be an option for the focus/hail mechanism : automatic or manual. 

I guess it is all a matter of boredom / activity in the OW : what will you do if you don't hail and steer ?

Besides, right now, the test of the game focuses on combat. It is quite logical that the only on-deck activity is about combat.

Just some thoughts on an interesting matter...

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

Being the ship look-out at his post is right now the only on-deck activity while not in combat.

To me, the trend should be in diversifying those on-deck activities, not automating the only one.

However, the hail mechanism can surely be improved. :)

When/if there are several on-deck activities sometime (navigation, exploring with spyglass...), I guess it could be great to have the ability to automate some at will (that is to delegate some tasks to the crew) in order to focus on others. 

In the meantime, there could be an option for the focus/hail mechanism : automatic or manual. 

I guess it is all a matter of boredom / activity in the OW : what will you do if you don't hail and steer ?

Besides, right now, the test of the game focuses on combat. It is quite logical that the only on-deck activity is about combat.

Just some thoughts on an interesting matter...

I don't think devs want to introduce spyglass on OS. This might reveal poor land textures when zoomed in. 

Please add 'Tab' to spot and focus on nearby enemy ships. Alt+Tab friendly ships. Players will loose their eyes trying to click on that tiny dot on the horizon.

Also, please add ability to click on port and see it's name and description from the distance.

Just don't make it Alt+Tab please.. :)

It kinda is.

I agree.  

I've been suffering from tendinitis in both hands for a few months now and it's the main reason why I haven't played OW much or any other game for that matter.  I've really come to see just how much unnecessary clicking and moving of the mouse we have to do.

Lets be clear, hold right click to move around, spot a target then try to left click the tiny pixel sail, then have to move to then click the Hail button has nothing to do with skill.  It's just annoying and unnecessary.  At a minimum, hail should be automatic when you click on a sail without the need to do the button. 

Using something like "tab" to target a ship in you line of sight and automatically hail would seem like a more efficient way.  Also make the mouse look around like in the battle instance.

Using tab would make it quite easy, to easy imho.

Seriously.  Plus this would be an outright cheat once camera is limited.  It's really not that hard to click on a sail on the horizon.

There's nothing hard about the way it currently is, its just not efficient.  The only problem I can see is people spamming "TAB" to locate ships, but really not a big deal.  Its a age of sail game, most of the time the enemy can be minutes away.  

There is maybe a technical limitation, where you can "tab" a ship on the other side of the island and that's why the DEVS did it the way it is now.  That would seem very gamey to me.

I dont think the game should spot the enemy for you.

If you are unaware and get into a fight because of it.. You deserve to get draged in.

I agree that klicking ships if hard from time to time. But after a certain distance.

So high res monitors and high DPI mouses will have a bit of an advantage here :P

IF they introduce such an option it should have a hard distance cap so you wont sport ships which are at the edge of visibility.

• Like 1

I agree.  

I've been suffering from tendinitis in both hands for a few months now and it's the main reason why I haven't played OW much or any other game for that matter.  I've really come to see just how much unnecessary clicking and moving of the mouse we have to do.

Lets be clear, hold right click to move around, spot a target then try to left click the tiny pixel sail, then have to move to then click the Hail button has nothing to do with skill.  It's just annoying and unnecessary.  At a minimum, hail should be automatic when you click on a sail without the need to do the button. 

Using something like "tab" to target a ship in you line of sight and automatically hail would seem like a more efficient way.  Also make the mouse look around like in the battle instance.

I have a lot of problems with tendonitis as well, and I agree entirely that the OW view interaction is very poor ergonomically, and furthermore not open to user customization. However, the solution is not to automate what absolutely should be a player responsibility, but instead to fix the ergonomics of the interaction.

-holding RMB to move view is terrible. Allow us to reassign keys for all OW actions.

-no reason to have two clicks to hail. Just hail on click. (Or if is intended that in the future "hailing" has some side effect in world, then single click for ship ID, double-click for hail.)

-reduce needed precision for click

• Like 2