Game-Labs Forum

Doing the math

Would you prefer a RL non compressed travel system  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer time compression or RW travel times. Please read post below before decidin.

• Time compressed
    • RL
    • Don't know
    • Don't care
    • Other( please explain in post)
  2. 2. If RL do you think they could come up with activities to pass the time?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes and I have suggestions to add( please post)
    • Don't know
    • Don't care
    • Other, please explain in post.

I know a lot of people want RW sailing times.

So I thought I would do the math on a 2 week travel time in RL. I'll break it up into 4 hour game sessions per day.( some of have lives outside of gaming) and to be fair you make no travel progress while offline.

4 hour gaming sessions would mean for every 1 day traveled it would take 6 days in the RW.

So that breaks down to 42 days for 1 week of travel time in game, or 84 for 2 weeks travel time. This is assuming you have no issues like getting lost or seeing other ships.

Thoughts,suggestions?

Edited by Justme
  • Like 1

That just proves why we MUST have the "Speedboat" effect!Who wants to be waiting days to do something.

There are a few, nothing wrong with it.( it's not for me tho) but it comes down to will there be a large enough player base to support the game long term if it's that realistic. The delicate balance.

I think there will be those that dont like it,but the majority will go with it as nobody wants to stare at a screen of pristine Sea for hours on end.I guess the Devs will tweak the Speed to get the best Balance.

One of the potential issues is also the title, game is called naval action, which to many may imply more action than simulation.

Even 4 hours a day is pretty tough on people with families, jobs, social lives, etc.

Speedboat effect is absolutely necessary. Otherwise, there would be near no point in leaving a small little area outside of your starting port, because going anywhere else would just take too long. Truly defeats the point of open world if you ask me.

Even 4 hours a day is pretty tough on people with families, jobs, social lives, etc.

Speedboat effect is absolutely necessary. Otherwise, there would be near no point in leaving a small little area outside of your starting port, because going anywhere else would just take too long. Truly defeats the point of open world if you ask me.

I agree, will probably get 2 hours max if lucky. Which is workable.

If people don't want to go outside local, then there will be less to do at sea, which could potentially drive people away from the game.

There is already considerable time compression. Can you sail from Ft. Royal to Jamaica in under 2 hours in real life?

If we move too fast or if the world is too small the seas will be as crowded as Assassins Creed or Sid Meier's Pirates. You have to picture what the world will be like when the full game is released and 2,000 human players are in the world together.

• Like 1

I know of at least one, maybe 2.

Who? I've never seen anyone who wants this...

Even if there's one person do you really need to start a thread about it?

When players say realism they aren't talking about time compression.

There are a few players who are obsessed with the romantic ideal of real world travel times but their obsession blinds them to reality and how they really want the game to be.  1 or 2 days into the game they would want the game to be how it is right now.

• Like 3

I want to travel in realtime just like in the Sea trials arena, to help the issue that it wouldn't take forever to get anyhwere they could do like in Truck Simulator, scale down the world. What's the point with all this beutiful scenery when everything is moving in superspeed, they might aswell just make a simple map and no fancy graphics(would save them time).

I rather see the world scaled down and be able to actually SAIL in realtime(alot more immersive), than having real distances and then fast forward past all the nice scenery.

Edited by kaboki
  • Like 4

If you want real travel times, please include doldrums. I want to experience sitting and waiting for wind for days in real time too. Also, if there's the added benefit that I could wait long enough to actually develop scurvy, that'd be great.

• Like 8

I like real time and I like a degree of compressed time providing it is not speeded up too much and makes it feel unatural, imho current OW speed if 10-20% too fast, so the above option is hard to choose.  WW2Online map is 1/2 size map and had a good feel for speed and travel times whether you flying or sailing a destroyer.

I couldn't vote because I think this issue is more complex than just a "Time compressed vs. Realtime" battle. Neither is it only a matter of taste :

First, Time compression and activities on deck are interwoven.

It isn't a matter of "activities to pass the time" but of immersive activities such as :

1) management gameplay with :

- crew management : risks of diseases, of mutiny (...) ; skill and morale management...   

- stock and supply management : food and water shortage, stock of powder and cannonballs...

- ship maintenance management : balance between risk taken and cost...

Examples : 

- an unfit / partially ill crew could lead to potential own ship damages or even shipwreck during a storm,

- an unskilled master (navigator) would lead to longer travel times and so to ration out the crew and so to have to manage an unhappy crew,

- an unhappy crew could lead to indiscipline at work (leading to possible ship damages), insubordination (leading to drops in captain's management skills) and sometimes even to mutiny (i.e. losing your ship without naval combat)…

2) You can also add, for example, a certain amount of simulation in sailing and navigating.

Finally, there should be more options under the heading "Time compressed" of your poll, such as :

1) present time compression

2) 75% x (present time compression)

3) 50% x (present time compression)

4) 25% x (present time compression)

5) and, why not, 125% x (present time compression)

To my mind, the accurate time compression all depends on what you have to do during the travel. 

In the present OW prototype, there’s nothing to do but wait and see (for the next fight). Moreover, the current number of testers and NPC is quite low…

Under these conditions, realtime travel would be boring.

But keep the captain busy during travels and (s)he will never be bored regardless of the time compression, even a low or nil one...

Here's my guess :

- Travel without any activities on deck : Favored time compression = 75% x (present Time compression)

- Add activities on deck : Favored time compression = 0%-75% x (present Time compression)

Just my opinion.   :)

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 3

I want to travel in realtime just like in the Sea trials arena, to help the issue that it wouldn't take forever to get anyhwere they could do like in Truck Simulator, scale down the world. What's the point with all this beutiful scenery when everything is moving in superspeed, they might aswell just make a simple map and no fancy graphics(would save them time).

I rather see the world scaled down and be able to actually SAIL in realtime(alot more immersive), than having real distances and then fast forward past all the nice scenery.

The world is scaled down.  Compression is achieved both by scaling down world and speeding up travel (time).  If they scale it down further you start to lose details like islands that are a bit important in a place like the Caribbean.  There are already islands in game that are on the real world map that appear as nothing more than a patch of sand with a couple palm trees on it in game.  For example compare real-life Redonda to Redonda in game and be very amused. ;) 

Only option for realtime (i.e. battle instance) sailing would be a complete fantasy map where relative distances are set so that normal sailing time accomplishes the same overall travel times (e.g. 6 hours from one side of map to other).  This would look nothing like the Caribbean as the Caribbean is in fact very unbalanced in its relative distances (lots of place right next to each other and lots of places with huge gaps of empty water in between), so any authentic connection to the real Caribbean would be lost.  There would, however, be a great deal more opportunity and meaning in exploration.

+1 with Leboiteux

It should be like with Silent Hunter 3 : You have the possibility or not to compress time by x2, x4 etc

You can make happy everybody with that, and the possiblity to have activities aboard (crew management etc) !!

Edited by Crow