Game-Labs Forum

[3D][WIP] Le Phenix

Galileus

86 Guns, French Le Phenix

It's obviously still a WIP, there's still some tough details to polish or add, there is some sculpting to be done and obviously there is the rigging to hurt through. I consider it a passion project and a practice mostly, so I'm not fussed about poly range and I go as high as I feel I have to to keep the detail I want in there. Might or might not get retopo in, depending if we get the targeted ranges posted. Maybe. Will see. Still, a lot of the detail I want to end up on either normal maps or just completely scrapped and done by textures (like the holes for windows, which are really only for the looks now and not needed at all...)

2iuvo5t.jpg

vra6wn.jpg

Also, definitely, 500% too much chamfer. I cannot help it. I like to chamfer. Darn, I like to chamfer my chamfer. With chamfer.

• Like 10

Incredible work, I do like a good chamfer myself. What program was this done it, 3DS Max? Must be a lot of hours in this. I've been practising my CAD recently trying to make the HMS Pandora. Is this a water-tight model? - would be nice to try a high quality resin 3D print of this. 

Edited by iMack

really good work man. would the devs put it in game? not sure what their stance is but that ship is epic

Thanks. Would they? as it is, there is no way. It's just way too heavy. I did have a possibility of baking it into normal maps and retopology in mind while making the model, so technically it's possible to lower it's weight without too much work.

Incredible work, I do like a good chamfer myself. What program was this done it, 3DS Max? Must be a lot of hours in this. I've been practising my CAD recently trying to make the HMS Pandora. Is this a water-tight model? - would be nice to try a high quality resin 3D print of this. 

Thanks again! Unfortunately, while air-tight models are my usual modus operandi, this one is using a lot of poly-lowering tricks and such. The weight on it is all detail, but wherever possible I would simply throw physical correctness out of the window if it didn't affect the output visuals. It's actually funny you ask that, because some good long years ago me and my friend were looking to buy a 3D printer and open a business of printing and selling my works, witch tallships being the first target. From what I've heard 3D printers have a MUCH better price / quality ratio nowadays, back then it was tens of thousands of dollars for something that could properly refine the details... and dollars are expensive where I live ;)

Also, I'm using Blender. I am looking to get 3ds max skills, mostly for pro and vray reasons, but it's darn hard to learn a sluggish thing like that when I can easily outpace it with Blender.

Where did you find the plans, or information of the name?

Between 1650 and 1850 found only two ships named Phoénix.

Phoénix 1692-1712

Built in Toulon

By F. Coulomb

Two decks of 64-gun

Phoénix 1720-1743

Built in Toulon

By R. Le Vasseur

Two decks of 74-gun

The only ship of 86-gun with the same type of your drawing is :

Le Vainqueur 1691-1717

150', 43', 19'

By L. Coulomb

Built in Lorient

86-gun on three decks for:

26-gun of 36-pdr

24-gun of 18-pdr

8-gun of 6-pdr

Plans, I've bought off of bestshipmodels.com, also cross-referencing them with model by Alexander Romashchenko from shipmodels.com.ua

As mentioned, this is first and foremost a passion / practice project, so I'm not really fussed about my historical background this time ;)

Great work.  :) Nice to see beautiful 3d models.

May be some day, 3D modeler/modder's work will be implemented in NA. However, I guess, only (semi?)historic models will. So, if you want to give it a try, my only tip will be : have Surcouf as an historical / ship advisor !  ;)

And, indeed, low poly count is an issue in any game. See devs' model : https://www.facebook.com/NavalAction/photos/pb.203746273116632.-2207520000.1430818405./333587320132526/?type=3&permPage=1

However, well done.

Edited by LeBoiteux

Again, thanks a bunch!

The mesh on details is actually more dense than what I expected. This looks good, I might not be quite as overweight as I thought I would be.

And I'm 99% sure devs hinted non-historical models are fine by them, as long as they are realistic.

Thanks again! Unfortunately, while air-tight models are my usual modus operandi, this one is using a lot of poly-lowering tricks and such. The weight on it is all detail, but wherever possible I would simply throw physical correctness out of the window if it didn't affect the output visuals. It's actually funny you ask that, because some good long years ago me and my friend were looking to buy a 3D printer and open a business of printing and selling my works, witch tallships being the first target. From what I've heard 3D printers have a MUCH better price / quality ratio nowadays, back then it was tens of thousands of dollars for something that could properly refine the details... and dollars are expensive where I live ;)

Also, I'm using Blender. I am looking to get 3ds max skills, mostly for pro and vray reasons, but it's darn hard to learn a sluggish thing like that when I can easily outpace it with Blender.

Oh that's cool. You might be interested to know that I bought one of those consumer SLA printers, the Form1+ last week. Works like a charm. I'll try and get some more pictures up soon. It was actually due to this game (and a bit of Black Sails) that got me really interested in this era and started me making a model ship. Most of it's been modelled on CAD and laser cut or printed. Mind you, means I have to go through the longer process and make sure everythings completely solid otherwise the printer rejects it. Printed at 1:64 scale. 

IMG_20150428_170319.jpg

uytrew.jpg

Edited by iMack
  • Like 1

Well it seems like Ive got to learn some more stuff with blender.

My level is maybe a tit more than beginner. Ive played a lot with 3d modeling but after seeing your model I feel like the biggest noob ever :D

Very nicely done, Sir!

I hinted the devs what you show us here ;)

Maybe you want to write them a mail and ask them about tech requirements (If you want to see this in game at one point).

Some time ago there were other 3s artists wich wrote them in private. Noone knows what happened but maybe we will see some surprises in the future..

• 3 weeks later...

Nice, really nice  3D model.

May I know whats the launching year of that ship ?

That flat after ending of the hull, around the sternpost below the transom, looks like a very primitive design.

Anyway, the 3D model work is great.