Game-Labs Forum

>>>v1.3 Feedback<<<(Latest Update: v1.3.9.9 Rx2)

3 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Uploaded Repaired version:
- Fixed critical bug that caused fleets to not move on the map. We will check to fix what else is necessary tomorrow.

Please restart Steam to download the update fast.

Much better. Thank you for the quick fix.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Schmitty21 said:

Was the purpose of this patch to make my cruisers stop firing and be incredibly inaccurate? Because you succeeded.

EDIT: Yeah, wow, this patch screw up targeting bad. My CA's are now getting stuck in ladder aiming bugs constantly. They were working great before.

Yeah I can confirm the target lock bug is worse in 1.3.7R

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, brothermunro said:

Yeah I can confirm the target lock bug is worse in 1.3.7R

Players must try to get parallel to the other ship to improve their aiming. Fast forwarding and going head on to the enemy does not help the aiming process. If a ship loses aim it is not a bug, it is expected and players must do something to correct it. Decrease speed, try to fire all main guns in parallel to the enemy, correct the design which seems to not aim well? Etc.

Previously the aim did not reset at all, so this was a bug, that players exploited with manual aiming, without knowing.

@Nick Thomadis maybe I oversaw the bullet point in one of the last release, or maybe it's a bug ( if so I reported it already):

Playing as the US, currently at war with Spain in 1897, I couldn't passage through Gibraltar ( the UK are at war against Germany and the Austro-hungarian). If I did hover over the strait it said that was blockading only those 2 nations. I saw that my relationship with UK were at -5, I did an "improve relation" and the next turn it went positive (+1) and then they allowed me passage. Has this been changed recently? Because I remembered that unless at war I could always use the various straits.

28 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Players must try to get parallel to the other ship to improve their aiming. Fast forwarding and going head on to the enemy does not help the aiming process. If a ship loses aim it is not a bug, it is expected and players must do something to correct it. Decrease speed, try to fire all main guns in parallel to the enemy, correct the design which seems to not aim well? Etc.

Previously the aim did not reset at all, so this was a bug, that players exploited with manual aiming, without knowing.

That is all good imo. Is how is supposed to work. The issue is, I am noticing a 0% progress in the ladder aiming, but at the same time the accuracy value going up to unrealistic values. And when it finally gets the target lock, then the normal accuracy values will show up. 

But for me , the biggest issue in battle atm, is the accuracy bonus for guns with good ROF. The idea is good, but the way is implemented makes them completely overpowered in the role to defend a capital ship from small ships. 

1 hour ago, flaviohc16 said:

@Nick Thomadis maybe I oversaw the bullet point in one of the last release, or maybe it's a bug ( if so I reported it already):

Playing as the US, currently at war with Spain in 1897, I couldn't passage through Gibraltar ( the UK are at war against Germany and the Austro-hungarian). If I did hover over the strait it said that was blockading only those 2 nations. I saw that my relationship with UK were at -5, I did an "improve relation" and the next turn it went positive (+1) and then they allowed me passage. Has this been changed recently? Because I remembered that unless at war I could always use the various straits.

Taking this at face value, it sounds like a bug.  As far as I know, "neutral" in this game extends from +99 to -99 relations with the nation where +100 is allied and -100 is at war.  Will see if I can replicate.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Just to clear this up, is it expected behaviour for a ship sailing in a straight line, parallel to an enemy ship that is also sailing in a straight line, both at battle speed, going from 80% and ‘aimed’ to the aiming progress going to -64% and staying there for the rest of the battle regardless of any changes to course, speed or gun firing preference?

I’m still able to ‘clear’ this by targeting a different ship, this resets the aiming progress to 0, and then retargeting the original ship, my progress is zero but as soon as I fire again it immediately jumps to aimed. This leads me to believe that aiming progress should not become negative under normal circumstances.

(I also see this behaviour on AI ships as well)

Edit: I've been doing some testing and as you'll see in this video (vanilla 1.3.7R) I can do some pretty extreme turns at full speed whilst charging the enemy and not lose my 'target acquired/aimed' status, and then, suddenly, I will. Sometimes it will fix itself, and sometimes it won't. This is why it very much comes across as a bug (as does its complete absence in some versions of the game, and its near crippling ubiquity in others). https://youtu.be/4wTLnuwjlk8

Edit again: This picture shows what I'm meaning, the aiming progress is at a neagative number (in this case -100%). image.jpeg.1934a1ea33a681378189cea471ced296.jpeg

Edited by brothermunro
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

One of the biggest mistakes I've seen people make on Youtube is constantly adjusting course while firing. Accuracy depends on holding a straight course and speed. Make small incremental changes when possible. I love to get the enemy in a tail chase since they can't fire torpedoes "up hill" and I'm at a good angle for ricochets and my ships all have decent over the shoulder firing arcs.

5 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

There absolutely are aim bugs. Ships are getting stuck in aiming and not getting a solution, with modern tech, when enemies aren't even far away. Ships aren't firing torpedo's, on any setting. Ships aren't firing main guns at close range even with good firing solutions.

Ships with radar range finding shouldn't take so long to get a solution with closing enemies, plenty of evidence from WWII that shows radar guided fire could be accurate on the first salvo with closing targets.

Not to mention, you tell us to make our ships travel slow and straight to make them hit but the AI don't do that at all! They're constantly whipping around unrealistically.

• Like 1

• Nick Thomadis changed the title to >>>v1.3 Feedback<<<(Latest Update: v1.3.7 Rx2)

Uploaded Repaired version x2:
- Fixed, hopefully, all issues with Task Force movement in relation to their denial zones.
- Fixed Refit design interface not clearing up when exiting to main menu, and resulting to merge with custom battle interface causing  invalid designs and various errors.
- Fixed an exception which could result in no funds gain after selling a used ship.
- Various other minor optimizations and fixes.

Please restart Steam to download the update fast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schmitty21 said:

Not to mention, you tell us to make our ships travel slow and straight to make them hit but the AI don't do that at all! They're constantly whipping around unrealistically.

That is not true. The AI actually tries to have a cruising speed very often, when it reaches the optimal range, and gains advantage due to this.

7 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

The target lock bug we're talking about is when the aim progress suddenly goes down to -100% (or some other negative number) and stays there, regardless of speed, course and heading. This will often happen after initially having completed the Aiming progress.

I'm aware that (normal) accuracy and aim progress goes down with maneuvering and at higher speeds, and that is as it should be. But that's not what we're talking about here.

Here's an example of me encountering the bug, battle starts at timestamp 50:45
Granted, this was in patch 1.3.4, but the targetting bug is the same, and it's the best example I have on video.

-Accuracy starts off as normal
-Aiming progress then suddenly goes from Aimed to Aiming Progress -73% (while sailing in a straght line at cruising speed) at 52:07
-I do some wild maneuvering trying to make it reset, but it doesn't work.
-Switch to HE to not waste AP while not having any accuracy
-Accuracy back to normal at 54:15
-Aiming progress down to -71% again at 56:24 (happened while I was inspecting enemy ship)

-Then back to normal again at 1:00:12

As Munro said, if you're in a battle with multiple enemy ships, you can reset this by selecting another target, and then going back to targeting the first ship.

Seeing as switching from one target to another, and then back again, is a quicker way of regaining the Aimed bonus than just staying on one target, this very much seems to be a bug.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Panzergraf said:

The target lock bug we're talking about is when the aim progress suddenly goes down to -100% (or some other negative number) and stays there, regardless of speed, course and heading. This will often happen after initially having completed the Aiming progress.

I'm aware that (normal) accuracy and aim progress goes down with maneuvering and at higher speeds, and that is as it should be. But that's not what we're talking about here.

Here's an example of me encountering the bug, battle starts at timestamp 50:45
Granted, this was in patch 1.3.4, but the targetting bug is the same, and it's the best example I have on video.

-Accuracy starts off as normal
-Aiming progress then suddenly goes from Aimed to Aiming Progress -73% (while sailing in a straght line at cruising speed) at 52:07
-I do some wild maneuvering trying to make it reset, but it doesn't work.
-Switch to HE to not waste AP while not having any accuracy
-Accuracy back to normal at 54:15
-Aiming progress down to -71% again at 56:24 (happened while I was inspecting enemy ship)

-Then back to normal again at 1:00:12

As Munro said, if you're in a battle with multiple enemy ships, you can reset this by selecting another target, and then going back to targeting the first ship.

Seeing as switching from one target to another, and then back again, is a quicker way of regaining the Aimed bonus than just staying on one target, this very much seems to be a bug.

I can only talk about the latest version of the game, unmodded.

If you can somehow play an older version now, on Steam, then you need to upgrade your game to the latest supported version.

4 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

If you can somehow play an older version now, on Steam, then you need to upgrade your game to the latest supported version.

This issue has been here the last month atleast. I can't speak too much about earlier than that, because I didn't play much in April.
And this has worked fine before, so something has triggered it to come back. Ill log on now and do a few fights and upload a video, and see if I can provoke the situation. Unmodded ofcourse

Edited by MDHansen

1 minute ago, MDHansen said:

This issue has been here the last month atleast. I can't speak too much about earlier than that, because I didn't play much in April.
And this has worked fine before, so something has triggered it to come back. Ill log on now and do a few fights and upload a video, and see if I can provoke the situation. Unmodded ofcourse

It has appeared, on and off, since Alpha 6 I think. @Nick ThomadisI’ll see if I can replicate the issue on 1.3.7R2

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

That is an older video posted as an example, but the bug is the same in the latest version of the game (1.3.7r, unmodded).

5 minutes ago, Panzergraf said:

That is an older video posted as an example, but the bug is the same in the latest version of the game (1.3.7r, unmodded).

Aim progress will surely reset at some point, depending on circumstances and surely it can get aimed status back, again depending on circumstances.

4 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Aim progress will surely reset at some point, depending on circumstances and surely it can get aimed status back, again depending on circumstances.

Here's an example of a battle recorded just now, in the most recent version of the game (no mods). I clipped it out of a video I was recording for my youtube channel.
The bug we are talking about appears a few times.
Early on in the battle, CA Lutzow has the target lock bug (or ladder aiming bug, if you prefer that term), but it is quickly resolved by it selecting another target.
Later on, with only one enemy ship remaining (and thus no other targets to select), both CA Lutzow and Mecklenburg suffer target locking. For Lutzow it goes away, for Mecklenburg it remains to the end even if it was sailing slower than Lutzow and closer to the target.

Secondary weapons seem unaffected.

To me this does seem like a bug, and not the way aiming is intended to work. I get why some maneuvers and speeds will make aiming slower and accuracy worse, but what we're talking about is aiming not progressing at all.
The fact that briefly selecting a different target makes the aiming progress as it should also points to this. If it was working as intended, staying aimed at one single target constantly would result in faster aiming, but that's not the case.

And I also want to add that as long as this bug does not appear, the aiming system does work fine.
And I also appreciate your hard work and how quickly you released the repair hotfixes for campaing map movement. :)

• Like 3

1900 Campaign, Japan. It's now 1930 and I've never had a convoy hunting mission. It's always defensive.

Currently at war with France who began the war with 553 ships. They are down to 334 ships with 81 repairing and building 159. They have taken Hong Kong off of me but I'm working on taking it back shortly. I started with 52 ships and am down to 39 with 13 repairing and building 6 modern battleships.

Now, how can they possibly be doing all that? It's a bit much isn't it?

Edited by Admiral Donuts

I'd like to make a couple design requests -

1) Technology Trees - Please remove all items that have been discovered. When scrolling down to find the next tech it's like looking for my year of birth. Also, please add the year of the next tech to be discovered even if we don't know what that tech is yet. It would be nice to know how far behind or ahead in a tech we are currently.

2) The ship info popup when reviewing ships in the fleet tab is annoying. It's okay to keep it, it's good information. But just localize it to the ship name and no other portion of the info row.

3) Japan's army size is questionable. I have hundreds or perhaps thousands of troops in bordering territories, when everyone surrounding me has millions. I have found no possible way of defeating either China or Russia on the ground.

And as touching '3', when playing an 1890 campaign, the acquisition of Korea or perhaps even Manchuria should be much cheaper in peace treaty.

That's it for now. I don't know if there's time or energy left to add these, but in my opinion they would be welcome additions.

I want to add that there are a lot of improvements I've seen since my return I really enjoy. Task force management is much smoother. The re-addition of manual naval battle movement. Dynamic weather and change of time of day. Fixing of enemies surrendering from an alliance then rejoining a war a couple months later, and so on. I can't imagine the effort that went into all this, but my compliments on a job well done.

• Like 1