>>>Beta v1.3 Feedback<<<(Released)

Nick Thomadis

I wish there was more "option" menus.. 
thing to give us control to edit or change things
"Storms strength light -> heavy"
"Storm frequency, few -> many"
"Visibility, low -> high"

just , things like that. 
shoot , options for picking things like gun version, instead of being forced to always pick the most advanced gun state. 

Love the map colors! This is exactly what I've been wanting and is a huge change for the game. As others have pointed out there are a few provinces that always show up as being owned by other nations regardless of who owns them, like Prussia being owned by Russia. I am very confident you will fix those minor issues. In my game, playing as China, I am two provinces away from Austria-Hungry and I have noticed that the countries colors are remarkably close together. I suspect that Britain and Japan are close together, as well as Russia and the United States. Japan could use white, Austria-Hungry could go orange, and Russia purple. Also I know its difficult but could you please add color blindness support too. 

The spotting system changes feel good as well. I took a fight on a crystal clear day with three CAs with eight 10in guns against a lone BB with eight 14.4 guns. Prior to these changes my CAs would have wrecked that BB because they could have gotten in close and unloaded with their small arms and burned the ship down or just beaten it to a bloody pulp. This battle the BB saw the CAs and unloaded at range few shots through the deck and I made the valiant and courageous  decision to run away. In worse weather conditions I probably would have been able to close and destroy the BB as long as the sea state wasn't too rough and only visibility was impacted. This is a great change!

The AI needs to manage their ships better. As I see it there are three distinct phases in the game, Pre-Dreadnought, Dreadnought, and Modern. The AI after loosing a war with the player tends to rebuild its fleet, but that's obviously expensive so the AI cuts costs by cutting research which puts them behind the player, since the player never has a reason to go off 100% of their research, and by building cheaper older designs that are still valid. This snowballs and in a game started in the Pre-Dreadnought era usually sees the AI struggle to get out of the Dreadnought era by 1930, while the player reaches that milestone in 1920. This phenomenon has been noted by youtubers like Stealth17 and so on.  

Nations, including the player nation, who fall behind on tech need to receive a boost to naval funding as the government realizes that two or more nations have access to Dreadnought I, Modern Battleships & Modern Cruisers, and their nation needs to rapidly catch up. The AI should then prioritize researching these techs. That should at the very least mean that the AI is only four years behind rather than ten years behind the player. 

Furthermore, if any nation should have their fleet fall below 80% of their pre-war power projection levels the government should again decide to throw money at the problem to pay for a fleet expansion until they reach 80% of the pre-war power projection levels. Both of these injections of cash should come at the cost of GDP growth so that longer term these funds come at a cost.  

Hopefully, these changes would mean that nations are competitive longer term. 

The AI also needs to take more steps to save its ships in battle. If a ship is taking a lot of fire it should run away. If it gets flooding damage it should retreat and attempt to stem the flooding. Right now ships charge in no matter what and its what gets the AI absolutely wrecked in fights. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, kineuhansen said:

i just wish we could click on those regions and we could get and option to say this region need a shipyard and then we could upgrade that ship yard to level 5 depend on how big the region is and that would help build ship faster

Or click on an enemy region to select it for a naval invasion, rather than doing it through the politics tab. Should also show the estimated tonnage needed before actually committing to starting one.

• Like 5

There is a very big need to reduce the bonus that the player gets when the war starts, in my campaign for France, being at war with Austria-Hungary for only 17 months, I collected 4 billion and money stopped being a problem, it also had a bad effect on research, because thanks to significant income, I already have access to modern cruisers in 1917, while my opponents still use ships of the dreadnought era.

3 hours ago, __Arminius_ said:

There is a very big need to reduce the bonus that the player gets when the war starts, in my campaign for France, being at war with Austria-Hungary for only 17 months, I collected 4 billion and money stopped being a problem, it also had a bad effect on research, because thanks to significant income, I already have access to modern cruisers in 1917, while my opponents still use ships of the dreadnought era.

And what difficulty are you playing on? (Don't take it offensively).

Rather, I would give the possibility of different game difficulty settings and their options.

Where the player will be able to choose the game as much as possible according to his wishes, for example with options such as turning off and on submarines, alliances, manual rudder, making torpedoes more visible and the like.

And of course income and expenses of the player and the opponent and much more.

The game already has a lot to offer, at least for the older version, it was enough to go to the files and easily adjust the difficulty, but someone would have to implement it in the menu.

I really love the new double barbettes, they allow for some fun builds, however, I find that for some nations at some tech levels the guns don't quite fit
Suppose we take dual medium barbette II (which is the largest of the three), as can be seen here, Japanese and Italian Mk.5 6" guns don't quite work with this barbette, despite 6" being well within what is considered "medium" guns
Could we maybe have some sleeker turret options? And sometimes it's not even about changing the actual look of the guns, for example it's easy to see that Japanese 6" Mk.5 guns should be able to fire over each other (screenshot 3, I've reduced the gun barrel length and managed to place all three guns, yet they still block each others firing arcs), so it seems to be a hitbox problem

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GronusCZ said:

And what difficulty are you playing on? (Don't take it offensively).

Rather, I would give the possibility of different game difficulty settings and their options.

Where the player will be able to choose the game as much as possible according to his wishes, for example with options such as turning off and on submarines, alliances, manual rudder, making torpedoes more visible and the like.

And of course income and expenses of the player and the opponent and much more.

The game already has a lot to offer, at least for the older version, it was enough to go to the files and easily adjust the difficulty, but someone would have to implement it in the menu.

I usually play on hard difficulty or legendary, I play this campaign on legendary and the computer lags far behind in terms of development and technology, on the other hand, the financial component of the opponents is much better than mine (tens of billions). And I completely agree with you about a more flexible setting of the difficulty of the game, it would be very cool, but even now you can play quite interesting campaigns.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, __Arminius_ said:

I think the biggest problem with the in-game economy is currently how cheap it is to build new ships, compared to paying upkeep for old ships. Which leaves the player few reasons other than sentimentality to keep older ships in service rather than always building the newest and greatest. Repairing and refitting also does not cost that much more than simple maintenance.
Refitting in particular is so cheap, and often only takes 1 month (even replacing ALL the armor on a battleship, upgrading the guns, engine, etc... 1 month) so a player can always keep his ships up to date.
In my opinion, building and repairing ships should cost more, refitting ships should also cost quite a bit more and take longer.

Technologically, the research priorities also give the player huge advantages over the AI. I think the bonus to research speed should be reduced, while the penalties to research speed for other techs not prioritized should remain the same.

• Like 3

I must say i like the new weather system so far (granted i didn't play long).

I also had a war within a year in starting new campaign while in previous 2 patches i had to wait like 10 years. I hope it's not accident.

Edited by Vanhal

Beta Update v1.3 "Build 4"
- Reduced further the chance to have bad weather in campaign.
- Fixed issues that made province highlight to not update after conquering (not all issues are addressed, we will fix all ASAP).
- Fixed torpedo tubes not scaling (temporary problem of this beta). This fix will affect all designs since it will upscale or downscale torpedo tube models, making them to occupy different space. A new campaign may become necessary for not having various issues with problematic weapon fire arcs during battles or other problems.
- Fixed various issues with the localization, which  is still in an unfinished state regarding available languages or the translations.
- Balances on the ship’s costs, which primarily affect campaign upkeep costs and Naval Academy funds. Additionally, this change determines more accurately the actual battle value of a ship, thus the Battle AI priorities should work more effectively.
- Further Auto-Design optimizations.
- Fixed UI bug showing that submarines were not detected but the opposite happened.
- Fixed Shared Designs not applying properly in custom battles.
- Improved Naval Invasion / Conquest / Military Conflict missions showing who is considered the Attacker and Defender, so that the needed tonnage is updated correctly for player. This fix will apply only on new mission instances and unfortunately will corrupt the ongoing missions with inflated battle kills.
- Warning on spotted torpedoes now will never expire, helping players to detect them during gameplay.

PLEASE RESTART STEAM TO GET THE UPDATE FAST

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

- Balances on the ship’s costs, which primarily affect campaign upkeep costs and Naval Academy funds. Additionally, this change determines more accurately the actual battle value of a ship, thus the Battle AI priorities should work more effectively.
- Fixed UI bug showing that submarines were not detected but the opposite happened.
- Improved Naval Invasion / Conquest / Military Conflict missions showing who is considered the Attacker and Defender, so that the needed tonnage is updated correctly for player. This fix will apply only on new mission instances and unfortunately will corrupt the ongoing missions with inflated battle kills.
- Warning on spotted torpedoes now will never expire, helping players to detect them during gameplay.

Man, props on the devs on these great changes!

I can see that I now get a rarer chance of bad weather (albeit it's still more than what I like, it's a great change). I wish the weather could be similar to the real world yearly weather in the areas around the world's seas, that would be a nice one!

The permanent torpedo warning is a damn good change, now I can see where it is and avoid it

The tonnage is also a good one and I can quite confirm it is working (I tried it once though), while previously it will show a much less tonnage needed than the actual.

I don't quite get the upkeep costs changes, is it worse? The economy is quite bad during peacetime due to the high upkeep of the ships, but it's super broken during wartime where I can easily bank 4-5 billion in a 3 year war.

Is the visibility of ships affected by the same thing you have applied that doesn't slow down ships immediately on battle start in rough seas? I've been noticing that in poorer weather my fleets can usually see the enemy at the start of the battle but they lose this visibility by the time they get their guns turned and first volley off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

- Fixed issues that made province highlight to not update after conquering (not all issues are addressed, we will fix all ASAP).
- Fixed torpedo tubes not scaling (temporary problem of this beta). This fix will affect all designs since it will upscale or downscale torpedo tube models, making them to occupy different space. A new campaign may become necessary for not having various issues with problematic weapon fire arcs during battles or other problems.
- Fixed various issues with the localization, which  is still in an unfinished state regarding available languages or the translations.
- Further Auto-Design optimizations.
- Fixed Shared Designs not applying properly in custom battles.

PLEASE RESTART STEAM TO GET THE UPDATE FAST

I mentioned it before, but one great thing to see would be glowing torpedo trails at night. This would greatly reduce the need to have torpedoes constantly pointed out by the UI.

Got some task force feedback here. Whilst the implementation of the taskforce crew limit has made things significantly better, there are still ways for the AI to put together a doomstack it would seem.
uRkb5oh.png
All of these DD's are of the same class, and only have 97 men aboard them when at a full crew complement. While the Chinese may be "Very Behind" with regards to technology, they can probably still have about ~10,000 men in a single task force, while I can manage 15,000 men in a single task force at my "Very Advanced" technology level, meaning that if I were to create a DD with less than 100 crew, I could deploy 150 DD's in a single Battle. There needs to be a limit on the number of ship you can put in a task force, (I'm thinking about 40ish?) along with the current crew limit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got revolution - and campaign is ending??? Why???

I planned change Chinese monarchy to something more efficient and sadly it's impossible. But why? The country not dissolving because monarchy falling and republic founded.

Edited by mk4m
  • Like 2

Yes, right now it's impossible to change government type without election (ie revolution, etc). That did make my German Empire run from 1890 to 1940 constantly at constitutional monarchy with -5% debuff on GDP, which in turns made my GDP 1/60th of the US or the UK.

So, the US with over 1.1k ships and UK with similar number. 90% of that is an old BB's CA's DD's and TB's that was made in late 1890s and early 1900s. When in combat they can attack me with more than 120 ships with 15k crew coordination limit because they are old ships with little crew.

Against my 1937 BCs with RADAR II? Yeah 20km 1 shot kill is piece of cake, it's pretty much the same every time I am at war with any countries if I started the campaign from 1890. The AI loves to discard design of ships, but rarely scrap outdated ships if I saw the monthly log in the bottom left. Better though, compared to the previous versions.

So, I took this post down just to make sure I had the most recent update.

Just tried to invade Phengu with far more tonnage than required.
Round-1:  I suffer, 50,000 casualties.
The enemy suffers....
wait for it...
800 casualties.

By round 3 my casualties were over 100,000.

Sigh.  Just another "fix" from UA Developers.

Edit:  Should probably also mention that the enemy navy was on the other side of the planet.

But hey, why bother having a navy when you can score a 62-1 kill-to-death ratio against anyone trying to invade you?

I'm going to stop now before I start saying things I shouldn't.

Edited by Kane
  • Like 2

I've got some campaign battle feedback here.
The AI isn't too keen on fighting against overwhelming odds, so usually retreats if there's no hope of victory. If it can outrun the player, there's no reason for it to not do this, and subsequently, no point in entering a battle where the enemy will simply run away faster than you can chase after them. In such situations where the AI choses to live and the player choses to let the AI live, the battle doesn't need to happen at all.
FUikGbj.png
Except, for some obscure reason, it DOES actually need to happen. Once I load into this mandatory fleet engagement, the AI will run away, and I'll be left staring at a dozen cruisers for a few minutes before I can actually get back to playing the game. 
Please, just let players withdraw from battles that neither side actually wants to fight rather than forcing players to "fight' a pointless "battle."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kane said:

So, I took this post down just to make sure I had the most recent update.

Just tried to invade Phengu with far more tonnage than required.
Round-1:  I suffer, 50,000 casualties.
The enemy suffers....
wait for it...
800 casualties.

By round 3 my casualties were over 100,000.

Sigh.  Just another "fix" from UA Developers.

Edit:  Should probably also mention that the enemy navy was on the other side of the planet.

But hey, why bother having a navy when you can score a 62-1 kill-to-death ratio against anyone trying to invade you?

I'm going to stop now before I start saying things I shouldn't.

And just tried it again, hoping it was a fluke.
NOPE.
Round-1: 
Me:  43,000+ casualties
Enemy:  5,781
So, not as insane as before.
Still insane enough to demonstrate that someone needs to flogged.

Edit:  Over 100,000 in round 2!

Edited by Kane

3 hours ago, Vinrellren said:

Yes, right now it's impossible to change government type without election (ie revolution, etc). That did make my German Empire run from 1890 to 1940 constantly at constitutional monarchy with -5% debuff on GDP, which in turns made my GDP 1/60th of the US or the UK.

So, the US with over 1.1k ships and UK with similar number. 90% of that is an old BB's CA's DD's and TB's that was made in late 1890s and early 1900s. When in combat they can attack me with more than 120 ships with 15k crew coordination limit because they are old ships with little crew.

Against my 1937 BCs with RADAR II? Yeah 20km 1 shot kill is piece of cake, it's pretty much the same every time I am at war with any countries if I started the campaign from 1890. The AI loves to discard design of ships, but rarely scrap outdated ships if I saw the monthly log in the bottom left. Better though, compared to the previous versions.

Skill issue. My GDP as Germany is 53 and þe only two larger are þe British at 56 and þe U.S. at 63. (As of 1906)
Try conquering more of Africa. Oh, wait, we're not allowed to even suggest þat þe army should consider looking at invading anywhere!

Let us, as Admiral, suggest to þe army's leadership þat þey should try to invade certain places, giving a bonus to þe chance if a naval invasion of þe province would be possible.

naval invasions are ridiculous now. 4 times in a row I failed an invasion while I had 9-10 times the needed tonnage.

Also, the actual needed tonnage is about 50% higher than the indicated tonnage in the naval invasion dialog

• Like 1