Game-Labs Forum

>>>v1.09+ Feedback<<<

Nick Thomadis

1 hour ago, PainKiller said:

What is the fuel level of your ship? If it's below 20%, your ship basicly stops. You can check that below on that small ship card, when you hover your cursor over that

Thanks - I'm guessing this is the mechanic, but we're right at the start of the battle. I believe I chose a lower range in the designer, but to have one slider immediately cripple a ship's capability is surely not working as intended? Also, the speed reduction varies depending on the size of the division, so it looks like at least a multiplier is being incorrectly applied.

Also, I don't like this new mechanic at all, even when working correctly. It seems pretty arbitrary and gamey. Any range you can choose is >1000km, presumably at cruising speed (~60% of top speed), which would give a range at top speed still well into the triple figures, even if calculated conservatively. A 30kt ship at full speed for a 1hr battle travels only 56km. Therefore it should be extremely difficult to run completely out of fueleven after the battle, given that speed is life, any skipper would choose a tow home over a massive tactical disadvantage.

Hello all,

We have addressed several issues that you have reported. The latest electricity constraints in Kiev have prevented us to deploy the hotfix patch last Friday. But we will do tomorrow, if nothing serious happens.

Here is what it will contain:
*Hotfix v1.09.1*
- Fixed some major issues that made submarines not interact properly with ports and fleets and not generate missions.
- Fixed issues which caused freezes in the campaign.
- Flaws become further reduced when researching Construction technologies. So in late tech years it should be expected to notice much fewer flaws.
- Battle & Campaign AI balances. The Battle AI should be a more resilient opponent and keep fighting at effective distances, not too far. The Campaign AI should be more efficient in spending its money.
- Formation bug fixes.
- Other minor fixes.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, SonicB said:

Thanks - I'm guessing this is the mechanic, but we're right at the start of the battle. I believe I chose a lower range in the designer, but to have one slider immediately cripple a ship's capability is surely not working as intended? Also, the speed reduction varies depending on the size of the division, so it looks like at least a multiplier is being incorrectly applied.

Also, I don't like this new mechanic at all, even when working correctly. It seems pretty arbitrary and gamey. Any range you can choose is >1000km, presumably at cruising speed (~60% of top speed), which would give a range at top speed still well into the triple figures, even if calculated conservatively. A 30kt ship at full speed for a 1hr battle travels only 56km. Therefore it should be extremely difficult to run completely out of fueleven after the battle, given that speed is life, any skipper would choose a tow home over a massive tactical disadvantage.

I ran into a doomstack and shaved it, three hours maybe IRL, down to the last few enemy ships and suddenly my ships are doing 9kts, it's Low Fuel. Luckily enemy was in worse shape, explains why the ai ends up at 8kts so often in battle. I love the mechanic, I'm was struggling to supply my new base at Tunisia until I forced the Brits to give up Gibralter. Chokepoints and minefields, I've got Panama Canal shut down, really makes you rely on "coaling depots", at least I'm guessing that's how it's working, just grabbed the solomons from the germans as well, so I can support Manila when I can get it (playing US)

Max Fuel is a crit for anything but harbor defense craft. But now you can make Monitors and Harbor patrol

1 minute ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Hello all,

We have addressed several issues that you have reported. The latest electricity constraints in Kiev have prevented us to deploy the hotfix patch last Friday. But we will do tomorrow, if nothing serious happens.

*Hotfix v1.09.1*
- Fixed some major issues that made submarines not interact properly with ports and fleets and not generate missions.
- Flaws become further reduced when researching Construction technologies. So in late tech years it should be expected to notice much fewer flaws.
- Battle & Campaign AI balances. The Battle AI should be a more resilient opponent and keep fighting at effective distances, not too far. The Campaign AI should be more efficient in spending its money.
- Formation bug fixes.
- Other minor fixes.

Keep your heads down. Great Work! Good Luck, fingers crossed, hopes up!

Came back to the game after about 5 months. I am replaying all the naval academy missions one by one to get a feel for any changes in the design/battle system. I just got to the "Torpedo the Dreadnought" scenario again.

The game has become extremely easy in this direction. Make sure your crews are veteran (I put them on the 84 level which is the threshold. 12'' main guns are basically sniper rifles at this level without any fiddling with barrel lengths. Heavy AP shells blow everything out of the water. The enemy ships are sponges who fill up with water after a couple of hits ("Excessive flooding" is about 90% of all my sinkings).

I get it that it was extremely frustrating to pump AP after AP round to enemies without any impact in past iterations. I actually don't have many problems with the damage dealt by shells - historically it didn't take that many hits to wreck a warship. BUT the accuracy has to be toned down for that to work, and the flooding of ships has to be taken down a notch too - again, historically more ships were crippled by gunfire than lost byoancy.

I haven't tried the campaign so far (as in, Ever, and I've had the game for over half a year). It really doesn't sound like my kind of thing. I may have a look during the holiday season when I will have more time.

Oh, and please, please, please give us an option where the stupid contrails of the shells can be toggled off. It looks like Hollywood's impression of ancient battles (the TV had "Cleopatra" again the other day and I had forgotten how silly Roman ships lobbing fireballs at each other looked). We have been asking for that forever: it can't be such a difficult thing to do - just don't put the contrails if the user doesn't want them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Hello all,

*Hotfix v1.09.1*
- Formation bug fixes.
- Other minor fixes.

If possible, take a look at the tension mechanics. In the recent updates, I found it very difficult to increase any tension by moving my fleets.

Stay strong and positive. Things will get better!!

31 minutes ago, jw62 said:

I ran into a doomstack and shaved it, three hours maybe IRL, down to the last few enemy ships and suddenly my ships are doing 9kts, it's Low Fuel. Luckily enemy was in worse shape, explains why the ai ends up at 8kts so often in battle. I love the mechanic, I'm was struggling to supply my new base at Tunisia until I forced the Brits to give up Gibralter. Chokepoints and minefields, I've got Panama Canal shut down, really makes you rely on "coaling depots", at least I'm guessing that's how it's working, just grabbed the solomons from the germans as well, so I can support Manila when I can get it (playing US)

Max Fuel is a crit for anything but harbor defense craft. But now you can make Monitors and Harbor patrol

Fuel is a really important aspect of the campaign, as it should be, I completely agree with you there. But I'm really struggling to find a realistic justification for the 'low fuel' malus even when functioning correctly. As I said above, no captain in a life-or-death battle with 10% fuel remaining will suddenly tell the admiral he won't go above cruise speed. Better towed home than swimming home.

(Besides, I need to go do some fuel consumption calculations and experiment a little, but I get the feeling that in-battle fuel mileage is way off.)

Certainly in the academy missions and quick battle (which I'm playing mostly these days until the campaign mechanics are 100% sorted out) there's no reason for this feature to be included at all.

Found another interesting thing today - this CL's helm got stuck hard over after taking a nasty series of 13.5" hits, and I can't tell if this is a bug (boo) or a new aspect of the damage model (yay!)

Either way, it seems to be really upsetting my gunners, because they've decided to aim for a patch of water approximately a mile away, presumably on the basis that it's causing them less motion sickness.

ZV6nPXa.png

NOUYg3v.png

40 minutes ago, SonicB said:

Certainly in the academy missions and quick battle (which I'm playing mostly these days until the campaign mechanics are 100% sorted out) there's no reason for this feature to be included at all.

If Academy Missions are a ‘proving grounds’ for later campaigns, then 100% fuel consideration is needed.

No longer can players skimp on (and in an unrealistic way) fuel to clear tonnage for other components.

Edited by Skeksis

Just now, Skeksis said:

If Academy Missions are a ‘proving grounds’ for later campaigns, then 100% fuel consideration is needed.

No longer can players skimp on (and in an unrealized way) fuel to clear tonnage for other components.

Point taken - but whether you agree with the fuel mechanic's current implementation or not, surely we can agree it shouldn't be adjustable to the point where it cripples your ship's speed from the start of the mission. There is no usefulness in this and it serves only to confuse new players.

This is distinct from a) my wider misgivings about the way this mechanic works in combat and b) the evidence that it's bugged when dealing with formations.

Fuel is not just used in battle, but on the map view as well (mostly there).... for example I'm still struggling to find out how to refuel on the sea when I'm playing with the americans. i make my ships with 20.000+km, 150-200% engine efficiency, and i still run out of fuel when i try to reach europe or any continent. i got frustrated and gave up, now i'm playing with the british. they are amasing, because they have colonies and ports literally everywhere, so even my 10.000km ranged ships always have 100% fuel loaded. In battle, they don't run out if you are full. 

Other question, do you guys get only small missions as well? most of the time i get 1 vs 1 cruiser battles,  1 vs 1 dd battles, or sometimes 2bb vs 5 dd ambush missions, half of the time the ambusers running away... (let's hope the next patch fixes that :) ) My ideal battles would be around 10 vs 15 or something like that...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PainKiller said:

Fuel is not just used in battle, but on the map view as well (mostly there).... for example I'm still struggling to find out how to refuel on the sea when I'm playing with the americans. i make my ships with 20.000+km, 150-200% engine efficiency, and i still run out of fuel when i try to reach europe or any continent. i got frustrated and gave up, now i'm playing with the british. they are amasing, because they have colonies and ports literally everywhere, so even my 10.000km ranged ships always have 100% fuel loaded. In battle, they don't run out if you are full. 

Other question, do you guys get only small missions as well? most of the time i get 1 vs 1 cruiser battles,  1 vs 1 dd battles, or sometimes 2bb vs 5 dd ambush missions, half of the time the ambusers running away... (let's hope the next patch fixes that :) ) My ideal battles would be around 10 vs 15 or something like that...

I’m playing Japanese, and I made some long range ships to get to Europe… but the weird thing is they’re consuming no fuel at all 😂

We need to have more control over relations. I should be able to give money, accuse other nations of stuff, or insult or compliment them to steer relations how I want. Currently playing Japanese, I have dissolved China, was at war with Russia but that was broke off for now. Everyone else I’m in the green with. There’s no way for me to pick a fight with anyone, so it’s getting boring.

57 minutes ago, SonicB said:

surely we can agree it shouldn't be adjustable to the point where it cripples your ship's speed from the start of the mission

Do you have a better solution? - penalties for low fuel and low fuel capacity designs.

Besides, you learn pretty quickly to:

• a) Build ships with greater range, to traverse oceans and still have enough fuel to stay on station and fight effectively.
  • b) To manage taskforces, i.e. pull them back to port before fuel runs low.

So, for the lack of a better solution, and given how quickly players can adjust, I would say no, status-quo is best. I.e. Incorporating logistics in ship designs is better than, for example, arbitrary cost penalties.

Edited by Skeksis

38 minutes ago, Skeksis said:

Do you have a better solution? - penalties for low fuel and low fuel capacity designs.

In the academy missions and custom battle? Simple, don't allow the slider so low that the design is going to be at low fuel and therefore slowed from the outset. The lowest it will go is always >1000km, which is very misleading since that would seem to leave easily enough fuel for a battle.

In campaign, and more generally, I would have a realistic hard limit. If your ship burns more fuel than it has during battle, it stops, maybe loses power if it doesn't have auxiliary. If it ends battle low or out of fuel, it gets towed home but has a chance of being lost or suffering damage.

Another penalty could be modelling loss of fuel caused by damage. For instance, Bismarck had quite a short range, being designed to challenge the French and British navies in the North Sea, and therefore had to abort its commerce-raiding mission as a result of being hit in the fuel tanks by Prince of Wales. This would incentivise adding redundancy.

4 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Hello all,

*Hotfix v1.09.1*
- Formation bug fixes.
- Other minor fixes.

Hope you and your team are well

On 11/5/2022 at 11:55 AM, Nichsloopington said:

I seem to be able to not engage most fleets.as japan I'm at war with just about everyone and I sailed over to engage us navy. Parked the entirety of  the ijn on top of their doomstack

and nothing. Then I chased the fleet around including trying to block Panama canal as they tried going to a port in Florida. Still sails right by my 48 ships

Same! 

9 hours ago, SonicB said:

Anyone else getting a bug that arbitrarily restricts ship speed?

ZtGp0qc.png

Here I have five 36kt destroyers in divisions of 4 and 1. The group of 4 is restricted to 7kts; the single ship is restricted to 24. Even the single ship gets the message "some ships in division are unable to reach this speed" when I try to increase it.

Probably posted before my post was approved, but I found my destroyers with minimum fuel were restricted to 24 knots. I increased the fuel and they went to full speed.

@Nick Thomadis I must say that after 3 years, on new mechanics being implementing and tested to the design process, trying to balance the player ships against the AI and the same time bring more realism. I can say without any doubt, that it is a real challenge now to design a good ship.

Many thanks!! I know it was hard to reach to this point! 😉👍

• Like 1

When building a ship with equal fore and aft guns, for example on the 1890s hulls, is it intentional that there is a fore-offset weight? I keep having to add armour to the aft belt or deck to compensate 🤔 for this reason, I seldom add bow torpedos.

5 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Hello Admirals,
We managed to push this update sooner than we expected due to latest electricity problems in Kiev. Please note what it includes.

Hotfix Patch v1.09.1
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1069660/view/3399681947515341911 

I had ships in the last update (all with 20K+ range) that could transit from the US to Europe or Japan and fight fine. Now they get there and are stuck at 9 knots.

Also ships are going back to random ports after being damaged. It's like the old "straight back to port" after a battle but even worse cause it overloads multiple ports and I am having trouble finding all the ships that belong in their home port. Not to mention 11 months of repairs means they overload the random port they go to forever.

Either damaged ships should be able to be moved (with a pause in repairing) or they should always go back to the port they were last assigned to. Or we let them remain with the taskforce as it transits home together.

As of now war is a clusterhello kitty and keeping track of my task forces is insane.

All of this was working fine before the hotfix.

• Like 1

same on the VP. I am confused. 

At best it seems random.

Also, that list on the left with wars and VP. Is it just me, or does that just continue war after war? so say country1 and country2 has a war. They rack up 50k and 100k vp each. war ends. next war, country3 and country4, and the VP continues from the other war...

• Like 1