Game-Labs Forum

>>>v1.09+ Feedback<<<

Nick Thomadis

Okay, after attempting to stick with two US Navy campaigns (but ultimately abandoning them)...here's my feedback.

1) Russia seems to choose violence 24/7/365
Seriously, what is up with that? I started two 1920 campaigns as the United States, and it seemed like every 3-4 months, Russia was at war with somebody new. In both cases, by the time late 1921 rolled around...Russia was at war with literally everyone. Except for China, which I though was weird...but whatever. Judging from other posts I've seen I'm not the only one experiencing this.

2) Ghost Ships and Magic VPs for Russia
In my first campaign, I wound up going to war with Russia. I go about 3 turns without anything happening. Finally, I get a convoy mission. I thought it was my Pacific Fleet that I moved towards Japan to try and catch Russian ships as they leave their ports in the Pacific. Nope, it was a "coastal alarm" because one of their destroyers somehow slipped too close to Charleston and it wound up being a 1v1 DD battle. I was baffled at this because when I hovered over the different sea regions...Russia had no ships (none, zero, zilch, nod-uh, nobody) in the Atlantic. Well, whatever. I smoke their DD without taking damage to my DD or any transports. I get 144 VPs...and Russia--with 0 damage dealt and 0 ships sank, and despite the post battle screen saying 0 VPs--gets 250 VPs. Oooooookay then...so we're back to the "VPs being wrongly awarded" thing again, are we? I fail to see it like that, since I got my VPs. Since I can't do anything about it, I hit the next turn button. Welp, no missions generated, but now Russia has 500 VPs. Nothing happened, no battles were fought, still no ships in the Atlantic. Seriously...what the heck is going on? Next turn, another convoy, outside Charleston. 1v1 DD duel. Same result as before: I smoke them without breaking a sweat, they deal 0 damage to my DD or my transports. But this time, the VPs are "working as intended" and I get 150 VPs, and Russia stays at 500. The very next turn...Russia is now at 750 VPs despite not fighting any battles, sinking any of my transports, OR HAVING ANY SHIPS IN THE ATLANTIC. I quit the campaign right then and there, I'm not gonna deal with that. I promptly started a new campaign just to test if this was a fluke. Russia went to war with everyone (literally everyone) by October 1921, and they started getting random 250 VPs again...despite not directly engaging me, sinking any of my subs (because I didn't have any), sinking any transports, and they still didn't have a single ship off the Eastern Seaboard of the US. So this time, I decide to be aggressive. I send the entirety of my Pacific Fleet to the Philippines to catch all the Russian Fleets sailing back home and I split my Atlantic Fleet and put them to sea. Well, I get another convoy mission (1 CL and 1DD vs 1 CL and 1 DD) and I do take some damage, but I sink their ships almost effortlessly. I get 245 VPs and they get 34 VP, according to the end battle results screen. So riddle me this...if they only got 34 VPs from that battle, why is their total 284 VPs greater than the total they started the battle with? I promptly abandoned that campaign because I saw a trend starting. I haven't tested this with any other nations yet, but I don't have high hopes.

3) "Those sneeki Ruskies," Blind US Sailors with malfunctioning equipment, or something else?
In my second playthrough (as mentioned above) I parked a task force of 18 ships in the Philippines to try and catch the Russian task forces that were trying to sail home. I parked my task force right on top of the red line that indicates "this is where we are going." And yet, the only engagement I got was against a lone CL while 3 other Task Forces sailed right by, with no missions generated. Why? 1920s warships aren't that stealthy and I'm fairly sure my sailors aren't blind. Again, as stated above, I promptly ended my 2nd campaign.

4) Defects/Flaws
I want to preface this by saying that while I think flaws/defects are a good idea...I also think that they are FAR from perfect. I'm not advocating for a "perfect ship" every time I build one...but come on, I think that some of these are a little ridiculous. Like the over/under weight defects. How does that happen? If you've designed a 1000 ton destroyer that comes out of the ship yard weighing closer to 1200 tons--somehow, the dockyards found a way to add 12% of the destroyers designed weight onto the final ship (that's basically like chopping your ship into 10 pieces, and then adding one of those 10 pieces to the finished ship for no reason). Similarly, if your 1000 ton destroyer comes out weighing something like 800 tons...I think something is missing from your ship. Did they weld in an extra girder or forget one? Did they weld too much or not enough? Did they add extra armor or forget an armor plate or two? How can my ship weigh that much, that weight is more like I've added two more gun turrets! And it doesn't tell you what is causing this extra weight either. Is it extra armor, more guns, better modules, extra funnel, extra fuel storage? "Nope, and I'm not gonna tell you either." The only way you can change the weight of your ship is by directly adding/removing parts or adjusting the sliders in the ship designer...and once you press "save design," that design is locked unless you refit it and even then, the displacement slider is locked. So, if nothing gets added/removed/adjusted between me locking the design and the ship hitting the ocean (speed, range, armor thickness, weapons, modules, etc are unchanged/unadjusted) where is that extra weight or missing weight coming from? It just feels like it is too RNG/arbitrary. I remember when the only way a ship could be overweight, was if you made it that way and it wouldn't allow it because it was an INVALID DESIGN because you went above the specified weight or shipyard capacity. If you made a ship underweight, it was because you were able to fit everything you wanted without using the full tonnage, or you were trying to save weight for future upgrades/refits. If my dockyards can only support a 46,250 ton BB...how the hell do I wind up with 47,000 ton+ BBs in my fleet? If I can only build a 12000 ton CA, how do I wind up with a 12,159 ton CA? And it seems that it takes more than just one refit for the engineers to figure out "Damn! This ship is 1000 tons overweight! How'd we screw that one up? How is this ship even able to fit in port if we can't support a ship that big?" I feel like that would be a no-brainer or an instant observation that would be fixed ASAP. I think the hull defects need re-evaluated and looked at again.

When it comes to the guns, it's kinda the same. It's understandable that a Mk 1 gun of any size would have the most defects--no problem there. But, if a Mk 3 gun is the "middle ground" between Mk 1 and Mk 5...I don't think it should have as many flaws as a Mk 1 or Mk 2 gun, ESPECIALLY if the ship in question has undergone multiple refits. In my opinion, a Mk 5 should no or very few (1-3) flaws since the Mk 5 is supposed to be the epitome of that gun caliber, the Mk 1 should have the most, and a Mk 3 should have roughly half the flaws of a Mk1, but with downgraded severity (i.e. instead of a -10% accuracy, maybe it's a -5% accuracy). And then, of course, your research budget would play a part in determining the amount and severity of weapon/hull flaws and defects. Again, I'm not advocating for perfect ships every time I build one, but I feel like it should take fewer refits to fix the problems, and (depending on research budget and gun grade) not have as many/as severe penalties.

Closing note: I don't know if it was already open and I didn't know it, or if it really wasn't open yet...but the Panama Canal was opened in August of 1914. If it isn't opened by then, I think it should be.

Edited by HistoricalAccuracyMan
  • Like 1

A brief summary of VP problems

Critical bugs

1. Random distribution of 250 points as soon as the war begins. You can be in a blockade and get points, you can win crushingly, and your opponent will get points.
  2. Sometimes you can completely win the war and the government will say that you are losing (I think this is due to this thing on the top left).

Room for improvment

1. This thing is in the upper left corner with the number of points. I understand that it has remained from previous versions, but now its informativeness is very low (not even considering that points count after the end of the war).
  2. Just a ridiculously small number of points for destroying the enemy. Yes, I know that the number of points depends on how many ships the enemy has in total. But this means that in order to get any good territory, you always need to completely destroy the enemy fleet 2-3 times. To get the Philippines, I had to sink about 200 Spanish ships. Okay, it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't...

Special thanks - RNG peace agreement.

I said I don't need peace. Why? Because I need to sink 100 more ships to score more points and get Panama. Yes, the entire US fleet was not enough. And on the next turn - peace agreement. Here, a special prize, Alaska. A huge amount of time is wasted, we need to start all over again. I also had a lot of reverse situations - for example, Italy with 0 ships rejected the peace agreement 5 times, which was proposed by Italy itself.

Edited by Lima
VP
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, HistoricalAccuracyMan said:

Okay, after attempting to stick with two US Navy campaigns (but ultimately abandoning them)...here's my feedback.

1) Russia seems to choose violence 24/7/365
Seriously, what is up with that? I started two 1920 campaigns as the United States, and it seemed like every 3-4 months, Russia was at war with somebody new. In both cases, by the time late 1921 rolled around...Russia was at war with literally everyone. Except for China, which I though was weird...but whatever. Judging from other posts I've seen I'm not the only one experiencing this.

The reason is in the tension mechanics. Russia does not have neighboring ports with England/France/etc, but it constantly move ships through their waters. The result is war. We need to have some other ways to raise or drop the relationship.

However, I should say that Russia is likely to be a warmonger for a very long time. It need to be configured so that it do not constantly transfer the fleet around the world.

This problem is also very noticeable on Austria-Hungary.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HistoricalAccuracyMan said:

2) Ghost Ships and Magic VPs for Russia
In my first campaign, I wound up going to war with Russia. I go about 3 turns without anything happening. Finally, I get a convoy mission. I thought it was my Pacific Fleet that I moved towards Japan to try and catch Russian ships as they leave their ports in the Pacific. Nope, it was a "coastal alarm" because one of their destroyers somehow slipped too close to Charleston and it wound up being a 1v1 DD battle. I was baffled at this because when I hovered over the different sea regions...Russia had no ships (none, zero, zilch, nod-uh, nobody) in the Atlantic. Well, whatever. I smoke their DD without taking damage to my DD or any transports. I get 144 VPs...and Russia--with 0 damage dealt and 0 ships sank, and despite the post battle screen saying 0 VPs--gets 250 VPs. Oooooookay then...so we're back to the "VPs being wrongly awarded" thing again, are we? I fail to see it like that, since I got my VPs. Since I can't do anything about it, I hit the next turn button. Welp, no missions generated, but now Russia has 500 VPs. Nothing happened, no battles were fought, still no ships in the Atlantic. Seriously...what the heck is going on? Next turn, another convoy, outside Charleston. 1v1 DD duel. Same result as before: I smoke them without breaking a sweat, they deal 0 damage to my DD or my transports. But this time, the VPs are "working as intended" and I get 150 VPs, and Russia stays at 500. The very next turn...Russia is now at 750 VPs despite not fighting any battles, sinking any of my transports, OR HAVING ANY SHIPS IN THE ATLANTIC. I quit the campaign right then and there, I'm not gonna deal with that. I promptly started a new campaign just to test if this was a fluke. Russia went to war with everyone (literally everyone) by October 1921, and they started getting random 250 VPs again...despite not directly engaging me, sinking any of my subs (because I didn't have any), sinking any transports, and they still didn't have a single ship off the Eastern Seaboard of the US. So this time, I decide to be aggressive. I send the entirety of my Pacific Fleet to the Philippines to catch all the Russian Fleets sailing back home and I split my Atlantic Fleet and put them to sea. Well, I get another convoy mission (1 CL and 1DD vs 1 CL and 1 DD) and I do take some damage, but I sink their ships almost effortlessly. I get 245 VPs and they get 34 VP, according to the end battle results screen. So riddle me this...if they only got 34 VPs from that battle, why is their total 284 VPs greater than the total they started the battle with? I promptly abandoned that campaign because I saw a trend starting. I haven't tested this with any other nations yet, but I don't have high hopes.

Just get ready for this bug to happen again. If it's +250VP for you, good. If not...here another problem appears - it is very difficult to start a battle with the help of task forces. You can send a lot of different ships to Russia, but they won't care and will get their +250VP.

1 hour ago, Lima said:

A brief summary of VP problems

Critical bugs

1. Random distribution of 250 points as soon as the war begins. You can be in a blockade and get points, you can win crushingly, and your opponent will get points.
  2. Sometimes you can completely win the war and the government will say that you are losing (I think this is due to this thing on the top left).

Room for improvment

1. This thing is in the upper left corner with the number of points. I understand that it has remained from previous versions, but now its informativeness is very low (not even considering that points count after the end of the war).
  2. Just a ridiculously small number of points for destroying the enemy. Yes, I know that the number of points depends on how many ships the enemy has in total. But this means that in order to get any good territory, you always need to completely destroy the enemy fleet 2-3 times. To get the Philippines, I had to sink about 200 Spanish ships. Okay, it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't...

Special thanks - RNG peace agreement.

I said I don't need peace. Why? Because I need to sink 100 more ships to score more points and get Panama. Yes, the entire US fleet was not enough. And on the next turn - peace agreement. Here, a special prize, Alaska. A huge amount of time is wasted, we need to start all over again. I also had a lot of reverse situations - for example, Italy with 0 ships rejected the peace agreement 5 times, which was proposed by Italy itself.

i find vp annoying in this game like 400 vp for sinking 1 bb 2 ca and 1 cl not funny and it seem like ai is getting way more vp for not being in any battle

There's something a little funky about the pathing of ships sometimes.  St. Louis here entered the battle in it's currenly damaged state, which was to be expected after previous battles.  But what isn't expected is the fact it won't move anywhere and then when it gets attached to a division it tuns into a bayblade in ways I have never seen before.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kineuhansen said:

i find vp annoying in this game like 400 vp for sinking 1 bb 2 ca and 1 cl not funny and it seem like ai is getting way more vp for not being in any battle

I mean, I understand where this is coming from. If you have 20BBs, then losing 1-2 is not such a big deal. But if I completely destroy the enemy fleet, I should get a lot of points. It's completely unrealistic to wait for the enemy to build a few more ships that will bring me a lot of points.

You know, I normally don't get very angry at video games but this is infuriating. After hiding their fleet in a doom stack in the north Pacific, far from anything I own, Russia gets a minor victory over me in this war (8000 vs 5000 vp) by collecting free 250 vp every turn.

Somehow I win a war by tens of thousands of VP and I'll only get 1 province awarded. Russia barely wins this war, that they didn't even fight or participate in, and they get half my fleet, 2 provinces and more money then I can afford thanks to endless wars. This is bullshit.

20221107014730_1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schmitty21 said:

Знаешь, обычно я не очень злюсь на видеоигры, но это бесит. После того, как Россия спрятала свой флот в стеке doom в северной части Тихого океана, вдали от всего, чем я владею, она одерживает небольшую победу надо мной в этой войне (8000 против 5000 vp), собирая бесплатные 250 vp каждый ход.

Каким-то образом я выиграю войну десятками тысяч вице-президентов, и я получу только 1 провинцию. Россия едва выигрывает эту войну, в которой они даже не сражались и не участвовали, и они получают половину моего флота, 2 провинции и больше денег, чем я могу себе позволить благодаря бесконечным войнам. Это чушь собачья.

20221107014730_1.jpg

I propose to impose sanctions against Russia!)))

12 minutes ago, Schmitty21 said:

You know, I normally don't get very angry at video games but this is infuriating. After hiding their fleet in a doom stack in the north Pacific, far from anything I own, Russia gets a minor victory over me in this war (8000 vs 5000 vp) by collecting free 250 vp every turn.

Somehow I win a war by tens of thousands of VP and I'll only get 1 province awarded. Russia barely wins this war, that they didn't even fight or participate in, and they get half my fleet, 2 provinces and more money then I can afford thanks to endless wars. This is bullshit.

20221107014730_1.jpg

Ignored Optional Missions where you defend your transports or a blockade of the enemy against your home provinces, will grant VP to your enemy. Are you sure, and other who complain so much, that these points are not derived from one of the above reasons?

17 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Ignored Optional Missions where you defend your transports or a blockade of the enemy against your home provinces, will grant VP to your enemy. Are you sure, and other who complain so much, that these points are not derived from one of the above reasons?

Positive. I never had a single mission against them. I even tried putting my fleet in the Black Sea to try to generate my own VP but it did nothing. They had no ships anywhere in the world except a huge fleet parked at Petropavlovsk. I was completing all the missions I could every turn because I was at war with several nations. 

At the beginning of the war I got the random 250 VP every turn and then they started getting it.

Also, my main complaint is that they reward they got for a minor victory far exceeds what I've ever gotten for a major one. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

The problem is that it's completely random. In my current campaign, I (Austria-Hungary) was taken into blockade by the British and...I get these 250 points. I also get 250 points over China, which I have never encountered.

Very often the opponent received these 250 points. I wasn't in the blockade at the time (I mean, it's hard not to notice), and I don't miss missions.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

It is not related to ignoring convoy defence and being blockaded as as one time I encontered the enemy free VP gain playing as Japan vs Russia, I hade cleared north- and southeast Asia of russians ships so no missions were generating and I was under no blockade but Russia still got 250VP/turn.

To make it even more clear there is a bug in the same campaign during the early war I was blockade by first China then Russia and I was the one gaining 250VP/turn from being blockade. I was geting the VP which the AI were suppost to get per turn during the short blockades.

When someone gives a number about how much the enemy is getting per turn with this bug it is always 250VP/turn. If it hade to do with missing convoy defence missions then the number should wary each turn depending on the amount of transports lost but it is a constant number. The 250VP/turn is also the same amount of VP you would get if you were blockading someone. Most players who are reporting an issue with the free 250VP/turn is not being blockaded or might be blockade and be the ones getting the 250VP/turn.

It seams clear by the amount of players who have reported the same core issue that there is an issue with free VP gain. It is made worse by the fact that it happens randomly and also seams like a coin flip about who will benefit from the issue between the AI and player.

• Like 2

So does this mean if I love the look of the German MK 2 gun I can keep the look but it will be a MK 5 gun cuz I would love to choose the look of the gun cuz some ships look better with older looming guns then new guns can someone tell me if this is possible I haven't even had time to play

Campaign 1890 french feedback report.

"The enemy ships are damaged from a previous...."

fWLHWS4.jpg

And my CL is also damaged? What?, When? Where? 😑

d2KgXEL.jpg

OMG not again the same thing...

6QG46Bn.jpg

"other guns splash" negative modifier. Nice!! +1 👍

BZ1Kopo.jpg

BUG Ships that got hit once and stop moving. Both player and AI ships. Reported in game

fI6CVOg.jpg

O2PDxgG.jpg

BUG The enemy BB division is not moving. This is because there are many ships with low fuel in the same division. This BUG was reported by me a few weeks ago and is still present. 😒

mmgu2Hp.jpg

About tension mechanic. Again, I was unable to raise tensions with anyone in the beginning. In fact, I am winning good relations with almost everybody from all my colonies in the other world regions. There are no ships there, so everybody is making peace, love and smoking a joint it seems. A hippie world utopia. Only after some years, I was able to start to raise tensions with A-H.

7VLXrcn.jpg

The Japanese I provoke them with some events, but nothing serious. For the most part, we all live happy. Strange thing in a war game.

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 4

I've got some ship balance feedback here, but it's actually pretty amusing, so I wouldn't exactly mind if this issue goes unfixed for the time being.
November, 1930, I'm refitting my old "CL's" with RADAR and other new technologies I've picked up over the past few years, when I notice something incredible.
2DxxnZM.jpg
I've managed to make a ship with an 80,000 kilometer operational range. In 1930.
This Sub 10,000 Ton CL Somehow Carries Enough Fuel to Circumnavigate the Globe Twice Without Refueling.

(Assuming she can sail in a straight line the whole way, but still)
I think we can safely tune back the operational range modifiers a bit. All this CL is going to do is sit in harbor and lay mines, not try to beat Von Spee at his own game. Not the most critical thing in the world, but it's just a bit much imo.

24 minutes ago, SodaBit said:

I've got some ship balance feedback here, but it's actually pretty amusing, so I wouldn't exactly mind if this issue goes unfixed for the time being.
November, 1930, I'm refitting my old "CL's" with RADAR and other new technologies I've picked up over the past few years, when I notice something incredible.
2DxxnZM.jpg
I've managed to make a ship with an 80,000 kilometer operational range. In 1930.
This Sub 10,000 Ton CL Somehow Carries Enough Fuel to Circumnavigate the Globe Twice Without Refueling.

(Assuming she can sail in a straight line the whole way, but still)
I think we can safely tune back the operational range modifiers a bit. All this CL is going to do is sit in harbor and lay mines, not try to beat Von Spee at his own game. Not the most critical thing in the world, but it's just a bit much imo.

That's something that is, in fact, doable. Especially since you've maximized your ships fuel efficiency.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

1000% sure.

Also fighting a war for years to find that it ends by turning your enemy into your best frind in one turn without any war resolution is beyond infuriating! 

Edited by ZorinW

BUG: Impossible to generate tension by parking a fleet in somebodies water.

BUG: When finally at war, impossible to get VP because hardly any missions/encounters generate, even though I'm parking taskforces next to the enemy or in enemy water or in a chokepoint where he's travelling (like suez or gibraltar), he just sails right through.

BUG: Having fleet in enemy waters (sea control or invade) never seems to sink transports (AI on AI seems to sink transports fine, but player on AI doesn't work)

BUG: submarine missions still don't generate.

last Japan game: Was literally me just watching tech-tree advance and design new ships and refit old ones for many many irl hours. It took a literal DECADE (1900-1910) to get my first war, with france, only because of always choosing biggest negative relations in events. Then I couldn't actually fight the war, because no missions/encounters were generating, even though taskforces were real close to the enemy. I blockaded france, but the enemy gets the VP bonus.

GG, loads of fun. actually nearly all campaigns turn out exactly like this. very very boring

• Like 1

In my opinion developers should focus primarily on VP, tension and mission generation. Up to a point where it works. Because all in all it simply doesn't work as is.

On mission generation. If you have a fleet that either blocks a passway/canal, any and every enemy fleet moving through there should generate a mission. A mission should also be generated if you intercept or sit in a fleets moving path