Game-Labs Forum

Cannon range and damage guide?

Is there a chart or guide on the different types of cannons and their range with different types of shot, reload times, damage etc? In other words, what advantages / disadvantages is there in a 6 pd vs 6 pd long, or a 6 pd vs 9 pd. Is one better for chain shot? Can a long shoot further but takes longer to load? Are there differences is accuracy? If someone could link a guide, that would be great, Thanks.

• Like 2

Basically...

Longs have, compared to normal guns, longer range, lower trajectory and better penetration, but longer reload. Btw, also more range for Double shot.

And... The heavier the ball, the more damage and penetration (no matter which ammunition), but again, the slower the reload.

EDIT: Accuracy should be more or less the same. Didn't notice any difference.

Edited by mirror452
  • Like 1

I wonder whats wrong with the big carronades. They look a bit over the roof.

Mostly the range. Carronades could shoot further away than they do in this game. But then again the cannons couldnt hit anything (reliably) from distances exceeting 400 meters, so it might be that carronades are closer to historical performance than cannons, although both seem to be too accurate afaik.

https://ageofsail.wordpress.com/2009/02/28/introducing-the-carronade-the-range-myth/

Edited by SirWili

That has been talked over, too. Range is okay. But I had a glanze at the penetration values.

Also this is not a discussion thread.

The very page you posted.. I myself presented them faar back in the past and devs are well aware of the article.

Still its one of the few that tell the max range of carronades.

The effective range of carronades were 2x less than those of long guns. And thus they are modeled that way.

Devs are not having an argument over this. Its a dead horse by now.

• Like 1

That has been talked over, too. Range is okay. But I had a glanze at the penetration values.

Also this is not a discussion thread.

The very page you posted.. I myself presented them faar back in the past and devs are well aware of the article.

Still its one of the few that tell the max range of carronades.

The effective range of carronades were 2x less than those of long guns. And thus they are modeled that way.

Devs are not having an argument over this. Its a dead horse by now.

Sorry for derailing from the topic, I wont continue on the subject after this post.

I find it still interesting, what caused the effective range to be less? Ball was heavier than on cannon, and flew almost as long as one shot from a cannon, which should mean that potential energy on the ball should be comparable, if not even higher on carronade. Also the difference in elevation was only 2-3 degrees, so the arc of the shot wasnt that different in comparison to the cannon.

What were the reasons why the effective range was half in comparison to tge cannonball, since the differency in hit energy doesnt seem that huge?

Edited by SirWili

Long guns are too good. Combined with insane range accuracy of all guns they create the population of max range snipers, landing every single shot on you. Both unrealistic and very annoying.

Right now we can mount long guns on same positions as regular on all ships. You get advantage in range, accuracy, penetration and damage and only disadvantage in reload time.

Yet in reality long guns of same caliber gave more recoil.

So I suggest to change ship loadouts so that max caliber of a long gun you can mount in same position to be smaller than regular. Unless historical data says both could be mounted.

Long 9 in place of 12pdr and so on. 

Hey there folks, 

First of all forgive me if there has already been a guide created, if so could you link me in the right direction. I have had a look around but failed to find anything. Is there a guide about the gun constructor menu which includes statistics on the guns include range/damage etc? 

Thanks 

iMack

Edited by iMack

there is a there is  a spread sheet some where but as far as I know 18lber are the best dmg/reload over all and long guns do more penetation but take longer to load. Also be generous with your aiming shots and pay attention to where your ship is going in relatioion to the enemy ship. 5 shots used as aiming is better then only 1 which leads to a wasted volley which can spell your doom in the long run.

I'm pretty certain I read somewhere (Arming and Fitting of English Ship of War 1600-1815?) that gun crews on the heavies cannons (36 and 42 pounders) got tired after the first few shot and that reloading times suffered accordingly. If memory serves me right, this was the reason that the Dutch and French stuck to the 24 pounders.

~Brigand

how do you figure the Mass into everything. I am curious as I have a fancy for carronades. according to the chart the 18 and 24 pd carronades I have on a Surprise have the mass of 4 pd cannon. shouldn't that make the carronade Surprise more maneuverable than a cannon mounted Surprise?