Game-Labs Forum

April fools - Ships/Pre-Dreadnought-Old ships Thread.

Cptbarney

3 minutes ago, VarangianGarde said:

Here's a cool illustration of some of the ironclads we've been discussing:

Meyers_b12_s0661a.jpg

HMS Devastation top-right.
RM Italia mid-left.

Very, very nice. Would love to see these in the game would add much more variety at the start of the game and allow us some cool and interesting fights in custom battles.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, VarangianGarde said:

Here's a cool illustration of some of the ironclads we've been discussing:

Meyers_b12_s0661a.jpg

HMS Devastation top-right.
RM Italia mid-left.

Very good idea! And I hope that the dev team will implement some ironclads into the game.

• Like 3

Would like a separate game dedicated to ironclad era.
Until now, not a single game of decent quality was made for them. I find it strange, as their rapid development and crazy experiments make them almost game-ready,
just put that on a game engine! Unlike dreadnoughts or modern navy that needs oh so many alterations to work as a game.

• Like 3

Adding another era is definitely another big bite for the devs to take, and I understand if they want to stay focused for now on really nailing the Pre, Post , and Super Dreadnought eras. That being said, I feel like the basic game mechanics for ironclads about 1870 and after work about the same as the aforementioned eras. Yes, you'd have a lot of crazy experimental ships and brief moments where certain techs gain a big advantage, only to go completely by the wayside a few years later.

Would I push for ironclads to get their treatment before the devs have fully fleshed out the 1890 and after period? No. I understand there's a way to go yet on that front. I too would like to a polished game covering a shorter period versus an incomplete game spanning vast ages. What I would ask is that the devs keep in mind this fun and interesting period, as it nicely dovetails with the rest of the game and adds new content and variety. For now, I'd love to see a little gesture here or there in that direction, ala "The First Ironclads" scenario they put out last year. A neat mission involving a hypothetical HMS Devastation vs Caio Duilio, or perhaps HMS Polyphemus' Kronstadt scenario, would be an awesome and interesting addition to the game.

Perhaps we early adopters could be rewarded with an Ironclad expansion, once the main campaign is nicely polished, then sell that expansion to the market at large based on the success of the main game.

Edited by VarangianGarde
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Cpt.Hissy said:

Would like a separate game dedicated to ironclad era.
Until now, not a single game of decent quality was made for them. I find it strange, as their rapid development and crazy experiments make them almost game-ready,
just put that on a game engine! Unlike dreadnoughts or modern navy that needs oh so many alterations to work as a game.

A "Guerre de Fer," if you will?

As a gentleman of science and learned design, the player takes the role of a Jeune Ecole naval architect, wherein design points are awarded based on the gross absorption of snuff and cognac within the bloodstream, and design output determines available cognac and snuff. Pair with occasional society and bureau sidequests and you have an adventure game fit for a man of Blut und Eisen!

Ā 

Bloat your portfolio!

Bloviate before the Board!

Leak to the press!

Wrangle contracts!

Get box seats at the latest Wagner!

šŸ§

Edited by VarangianGarde
  • Like 3

There is some laughable stuff here, so I dont think mine are that impressive. But I think they can at least make you grin.

Ā 

My post needs a dosage of french pre-dreanoughts. Pre-dreanoughts are already known to be bulky ships, but the french toned them to 11.Ā 

They essentially took the designs from ironclads, broadside frigates, predreanoughts, and literal bunker pillboxes, blended them togheder to come up with something that somehow floats, and called it a day:

Ā 

(Ordered by increasing ridicoulousness and size)

Ā 

The MassƩna (thick)

French battleship Massena NH 74863.tif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_battleship_MassƩna

Ā 

The Charles Martel (thicker)

CharlesMartelPostcardMariusBar.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_battleship_Charles_Martel

Ā 

The Carnot (thickest)

Battleship Carnot - MilitƤr Wissen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_battleship_Carnot

Ā 

These things are so thickĀ that they can even rival your mama:

French battleship Carnot - Alchetron, the free social encyclopedia

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Now, moving on, we all know good ol'Ā HMS Dreadnought. You know, the ship that revolutionized battleship designĀ andĀ naval combat?

British Battleships of the First World War; HMS Dreadnought Q38705.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dreadnought_(1906)

Ā 

Ā 

While you might know HMS Dreadnought, you might not know HMS Dreadnought:

HMS Dreadnought

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dreadnought_(1875)

Ā 

Which, besides being quite memable:

"- Mom, I want a HMS Dreadnought.

- We already have a HMS Dreadnought at home.

The HMS Dreadnought at home:"

Ā 

... also looks like aĀ tug-boat on steroids straight from the Clown Car thread.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I tried. Here's a pic of another HMS Dreadnought:

HMSDreadnought1801.jpg.0b78f87e39187885ca89f53dc5edca9f.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dreadnought_(1801)

Ā 

Ā 

WTF?! There are at least 5 more HMS Dreadnoughts, besides 2 submarine classes and another 2 Dreadnought ships built in the 1500s. I give up. England churns out more Dreadnoughts than Russia churns Kalashnikovs.

Edited by Stormnet
  • Like 5

Wouldn't like it.
At this point they were so focused on latest tech hyper monsters that actual dreadnoughts feel like April joke addition already.

On this point.. What if they actually start adding something other than 1940 mega battleships as a joke? heh.

Edited by Cpt.Hissy
  • Like 2

On 3/22/2021 at 2:00 PM, Cpt.Hissy said:

Wouldn't like it.
At this point they were so focused on latest tech hyper monsters that actual dreadnoughts feel like April joke addition already.

On this point.. What if they actually start adding something other than 1940 mega battleships as a joke? heh.

Ā 

I think there might be a way to sorta off satisfy the ultraĀ superĀ hyper dreadnoughtsĀ battleship guys while keeping the game somewhat historically realistic. A few days ago I stumbled into thisĀ sextuple turret threat.Ā Ridicoulous of course. We didnt even had quintuple turrets, sextuple turrets are out of question!

But then someone in the comment section posted this:

He proposes the stupidly big or ridicoulous hull/turret/gun/casemate/anything designs that never actually existed outside of papers to exist in the game as secret unlockables, easter eggs. In other words, like a cheat code.

This way, the fantasy shipĀ people could play the game to search for these secrets and have them like a cheat code, while realistic people could have a realistic-like experience.

On a normal campaign, anything bigger than a A-150 or a H-39 should be locked by default. (Lets leave these ones in the vanilla campaignĀ as the H-39 was partially built, and the A-150 was seriously thought about and planned. Also leave plans for equally big or smaller classes by other nations as a balancing factor)

But maybe by beating the campaign or beating secret encounters in the game, a hiddenĀ boss battle where they fight a massive warship, players could unlock the cheat to get the sextuple turret they want, or the 130k ton displacement ship they wish for.

Ā 

In my opinion this would balance fantasy and realism, but its just my opinion. What do you think?

Ā 

Edited by Stormnet

14 minutes ago, Stormnet said:

In my opinion this would balance fantasy and realism, but its just my opinion. What do you think?

Well, as we don't have aviation, and treaties, and economical problems of real history, all that stuff that limited the growth of navies, I do think huge fantasy monster ships not just can, but must be added and also available in campaign.

I just also want to see ironclads, actual dreadnoughts, non-battleship vessels, basically everything other than superbattleships, that was mostly neglected in months.

Or (joke warning!) rename the game to "Ultimate Admiral: Yamatos!"

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cpt.Hissy said:

Well, as we don't have aviation, and treaties, and economical problems of real history, all that stuff that limited the growth of navies, I do think huge fantasy monster ships not just can, but must be added and also available in campaign.

I just also want to see ironclads, actual dreadnoughts, non-battleship vessels, basically everything other than superbattleships, that was mostly neglected in months.

Or (joke warning!) rename the game to "Ultimate Admiral: Yamatos!"

To be honest, I think we are somewhat spoiled right now. We spent(d)Ā nearly the entire academy mission building BBs bigger than Bismark. It will be a punch in the stomach once we realise we can't just make a big BB every ocasion.Ā 

Edited by Stormnet

1 hour ago, Stormnet said:

Good modern games allow you to set the campaign criteria, all allowances, reloads, limitationsĀ and realism level, etc. This enablesĀ replayability too, to play the game at multiple levels and in turn giving the game longevity. Itā€™s been posted many times like easy/difficult modes etc.Ā 

And that ā€˜accommodationā€™ nearly always satisfies steam reviews too.

Lets see if Devā€™s have listen (or already have included such things)Ā Ā when they drop the campaign.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well, even if we didn't get some oldboags on april. We can still post some more on here. Post any historical, fictional, blueprint, prototype and design ironclads, pre-dreads and 1905-1910 ships you would like too see in general.

• Like 3